Google Voice...

RitaLiN

Veteran XX
I just recently(yesterday) bought a motorola Cliq and after buying it found that it wasnt UMA enabled for wifi calling. Ive been reading about google voice since its an adroid based phone and am curious as to if any of you guys have used the service yet? does it work over my home wifi network just like a regular gsm phone or is there some fiddling that has to be done with it?

I'm just going to stop you there; Google voice isn't voip

edit: Although with Google's acquisition of Gizmo5, it will eventually add that capability.

Last edited:
Thanks for the timely response. Saw it as an app on the marketplace and was curious as to its features. Thanks for crushing my dreams.

I just recently(yesterday) bought a motorola Cliq and after buying it found that it wasnt UMA enabled for wifi calling. Ive been reading about google voice since its an adroid based phone and am curious as to if any of you guys have used the service yet? does it work over my home wifi network just like a regular gsm phone or is there some fiddling that has to be done with it?

I have used google voice exclusively since its launch, I love it.. I've swapped phones, services, jobs etc.. and can always tie the # back to my phone.. But then again it integrates really well with Blackberry and of course Android which are the only two types of phones I will get.

About 2 years ago I had to switch carriers and had a shitty phone so I lost all my contacts and had to throw away my business cards with the old number. Who knows how many customers I lost after pimping that number =/

With google voice that will never happen again ^_^

Do you guys use the google voice number or do you install google voicemail on your phones and use the cell number?

Do you guys use the google voice number or do you install google voicemail on your phones and use the cell number?

I use all features, I've swapped all my friends family and work associates over to the GV #. I highly recommend it. Especially if you have a blackberry or android it makes it just easy.

I use google voice. One neat feature I have found is that you can record phone conversations. Other means of doing this, that I have found, costs money, so this is a great feature!

I love GV! SMS is great, voice mail is great - but really its the control over the number that i love the most.

Google Voice pisses me the fuck off... the only 702 area code numbers I can get (I got three of them) are in "Indian Springs", which is like 20 mins outside of Las Vegas.

So yeah, its a 702 area code like Vegas, but its a fuckin long distance phone call for anyone to call it, and they have to actually punch in the area code :ftard:

So it's like... great... thanks for nothing?

Google Voice pisses me the fuck off... the only 702 area code numbers I can get (I got three of them) are in "Indian Springs", which is like 20 mins outside of Las Vegas.

So yeah, its a 702 area code like Vegas, but its a fuckin long distance phone call for anyone to call it, and they have to actually punch in the area code :ftard:

So it's like... great... thanks for nothing?

I'm sure that's 100% Google's fault. It's not possibly because the local telco's have lock down on all the other numbers. Or at the very least, you were late to show up and they don't have any numbers left.

It's not a matter of "fault", I really don't care whose fault it is.

And I got my numbers like the instant Google Voice was available in the area.

About 2 years ago I had to switch carriers and had a shitty phone so I lost all my contacts and had to throw away my business cards with the old number. Who knows how many customers I lost after pimping that number =/

With google voice that will never happen again ^_^

unless gv disappears. that would suck, i like my gv #

Well...on that note is there anyone with an extra invite they'd care to throw me? id really like to check it out and it seems you can sms through it and whatnot. Email is jeff.szankovics@gmail.com. thanks in advance guys

Last edited:
Back