[I hate Apple] iphone developers, help!

Viggy

Veteran XV
Does anyone know where one might find the iPhone Developer Program (standard and enterprise) license agreements? As best I can tell, Apple doesn't even show them to you until they've approved your request to be considered for applying to the program.  Fuck Apple.  Haven't been able to find any copies floating around.

Ultimately I'm trying to find out how, or even if, it is possible to develop & deploy (legally :( ) an in-house iphone application for an organization with less than 500 employees. The 100 device ad-hoc allowance for the standard developer license seems to be limited to testing, not a production release.

P.S.:  Fuck Apple! 

Yeah. The issue I'm trying to research isn't technical, it's just Apple's bullshit licensing voodoo.

seriously?

wow that blows.

Obviously they have to show you the license agreement before you can agree to it... but they don't show it to you up front like any decent vendor. You have to go through their wacky program approval process... which means I can't even see the enterprise program agreement unless I submit an application proving I'm even eligible for it.

Steve Jobs, :ctrlk:

its sort of a pain, you have to get all these electronic certificates and shit. and don't try calling anyone, because apple support doesn't deal with developers

uh you can register for free - with which you get the sdk, xcode, and the iphone simulator

if you want to save a test app to your phone, you pay a 99$ fee

if you need more than 100 ad-hoc builds, you probably need to purchase a few iphone developer accounts , each which come with 100 ad-hoc 'builds'. It's $299/year for Enterprise. Your best bet would be to email Apple support, they are very good about getting back to you.

i like my iphone.

it's a phone , and an ipod all in one.

holy_shit_iphone2.gif

if you need more than 100 ad-hoc builds, you probably need to purchase a few iphone developer accounts , each which come with 100 ad-hoc 'builds'. It's $299/year for Enterprise. Your best bet would be to email Apple support, they are very good about getting back to you.

Does the license permit use of those ad-hoc builds in a production environment? The pathetic documentation I've found without paying for the dev program seemed to indicate it was meant for testing on real devices (as opposed to the simulator). I couldn't tell if there was any restriction on it.

I also couldn't find a hint of contact information regarding development outside of the paid dev program area.

you could just release it as a free app... but then theres the whole approval process :p:

That idea has been floated, but seems sketchy to me. I know there are plenty out there like that (free but useless without a login), but they generally seem to be things like banks offering additional service to customers. I get the feeling Apple would be less than enthusiastically cooperative about an enterprise app developed by a third party going that route.

Yep, they got back to me quickly with essentially a copy & paste of their FAQ. I did find this gem particularly enlightening/infuriating (even though it just confirmed what I was assuming):

Apple said:
Developers who enroll in the iPhone Developer Program will be provided with the Program License Agreement which contains detailed information with regard to terms for testing and development of apps.

just write back and say you need more info and be very specific. if that person can't help you they usually escalate the question up the chain

Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Developer Connection

I did it by going through the steps to sign up for a paid developer account. Lazy faggot.

When Apple started spewing crap about being authorized to enter your company into binding agreements, I was instructed to get out of Dodge. :shrug:

At any rate, thanks - that document pretty much answered all of my questions. I still want to eviscerate Apple for not providing it clearly and up front (among many, many, many other things).

If anyone else was interested in my original inquiry, the relevant sections in the agreement are 2.1.d, 3.2.f, 5, and 7.2

Back