Line 6 Spider IV 15

NetHog

Contributor
Veteran X
I'm thinking about getting one. For the money, is there anything better or comparable?

No pics. Either u know what it is, or u don't. (much like some of the opinions I'll get here)

I think the Peavey Vypyr series is pretty comparable. I don't trust Line 6 stuff very much because I have had bad experiences in the past.

I think the Peavey Vypyr series is pretty comparable. I don't trust Line 6 stuff very much because I have had bad experiences in the past.

The Vypyr specs read well, might even be better than the Spider IV. thx

Could you expand on the issues you had with Line 6?

only line 6 product i have is the modulation pedal and its pretty solid. i've heard nothing but good things about the spider. line 6 > peavy imo

The Vypyr specs read well, might even be better than the Spider IV. thx

Could you expand on the issues you had with Line 6?
Well it wasn't a Line 6 Spider; it was an older edition of the Flextone. I just didn't like the tone because it wasn't very aggressive, and the amp also broke down over time. I just think that certain amps made by Line 6 aren't very well built, so I tend to stay away from them. That's not to say that everything they make is bad, but I would look elsewhere.

I really like my Vypyr because it has multiple amp models, and it sounds very nice for bedroom practice (I have the 15w version). You can get everything from perfectly clean jazzy tones to really dirty metal tones. I think its the best buy, especially for the price.

You could also check out the Roland Cubes because I have heard good things about them, but I haven't had as much experience messing around with those amps.
line 6 > peavy imo
Oh man I totally disagree. All of my amps are Peavey and I love the hell out of every single one.

Also I am surprised you've heard nothing bad about the Spider series because if you go over to the ultimate-guitar forums you'd find a million threads talking shit about the lack of quality in the Line Six Spider series.

Well it wasn't a Line 6 Spider; it was an older edition of the Flextone. I just didn't like the tone because it wasn't very aggressive, and the amp also broke down over time. I just think that certain amps made by Line 6 aren't very well built, so I tend to stay away from them. That's not to say that everything they make is bad, but I would look elsewhere.

I really like my Vypyr because it has multiple amp models, and it sounds very nice for bedroom practice (I have the 15w version). You can get everything from perfectly clean jazzy tones to really dirty metal tones. I think its the best buy, especially for the price.

You could also check out the Roland Cubes because I have heard good things about them, but I haven't had as much experience messing around with those amps.

Oh man I totally disagree. All of my amps are Peavey and I love the hell out of every single one.

Also I am surprised you've heard nothing bad about the Spider series because if you go over to the ultimate-guitar forums you'd find a million threads talking shit about the lack of quality in the Line Six Spider series.

Thanks. I very familiar with Peavey equipment, but not the Vypyr. Peavey has some what of a shaky background. Some of there stuff is solid and reliable & some isn't. The Vypyr looks good on paper & it's got more amp models than the Spider IV. Thx for the info.

the vypyr is nice too, if not nicer (I honestly forgot about it, and I even owned the goddamn thing)

the cubes are more limited.. they don't have all the fancy features.. but really solid amps just the same.

Ive used line6 stuff for a long time now. be it the spider (1) practice amp, or what i use now the Spidervalve 1x12 along with the a PODXT and floorboard.

magnificent sound at a price point, most can afford.

I ha a JCM 800 2210 that flat kick ass.

I was only ever to play it live above 3 on a couple occaisons. (basically, wayyyyyyy too much amp for my needs)

Tube amps must be pushed/driven, to get the goods out of them, otherwise they sound worse than a solidstate

There are some small wattage tube amps coming out (like the Blackstar HT-5 that I mentioned) that are capable of good sounds at reasonable volumes.

Man I remember way back when I use to think I could play guitar. I had a nice fender and went through several amps.

First amp was a little roland chorus cube amp...solid state but had nice chourus effect built in. Why did I want one. Because Alex Lifeson used one.

Then I got a Galien Kruger little mini amp when they first came out. Solid state but it sounded pretty damn good and it was the size of a little boom box. Although it was a great little practice amp it did have some of that generic solid state sound.

So then I thought I needed a tube amp. So I bought this beefy ass Laney 100watt combo amp. My Mom hated me. That thing shook the house literally. Way overkill. The only way to make that thing really hit that sweet spot was to krank it or I had to run an old digitech unit into it.

Then I bought a little fender combo amp with 10 speakers that was solid state. That was actually a really kickass little amp.

My point after all of this, is that I fell for the tube amps are better thing. Yes tube amps can sound great if you push them hard, but for small little gigs or practicing you dont need a tube amp. I'm totally out of all the latest gear these days, but its amazing the calibre of sound you can pull from some of the solid state devices available today. The Line 6 stuff I messed around with at the local guitar store was pretty cool.

Back