[aussie style] Beer Can Roast Chicken.

kalten

Veteran X
Hey all, not really sure if this is an aussie only thing. But i will post it here anyway as I am cooking one of these succulent bird's right now.

Firstly, you need to buy a Roast Chicken. I usually go for whatever is the largest one in my supermarker so that I will have extra to use for lunch on sanwiches for the next few days at work.

I am using a 1.9kg chicken. Here is what else I have used. You can really mix your rub up though and use whatever spices + hot sauce you like.

Rosemary
Onion flakes
Random chicken seasoning stuff
Nando's brand Hot Sauce
Basil
Salt + Pepper
Rosemary flavored Olive Oil (not in pic)
1 Beer Can

Basically, you get whatever spices you want for your rub. Anything works, I just used whatever was in my kitchen.

Preheat the oven to 170-190c. Then, remove the chicken from the packet. You can either wash the chicken in water, and then wipe off with paper towel. The other school of thought says to leave chicken as is because you will wash away some of the juices. Its up to you.

Mix up the rub in a smallish bowl or whatever is available.

While the chicken is not upright, rub it with some olive oil and salt and pepper.

Next, remove the top of the beer can with a can opener as I have done in the pic. Then get rid of about 1/3 of the beer out of the can.... I will leave that bit up to you how to figure out. (im using coopers light, and you can literally use ANYTHING if you dont have beer. Its purely for making the chiken nice and juicy. You can use coke, pepsi, fanta, sprite, beer... whatever... but beer is the usual non queer way of doing stuff)

picture002u.jpg

Grab the beer can and put it inside the chiken. Obviously, make sure you have removed all of the insides of the chicken before you do this. I usually buy chickens where this is already done so dont have to worry. Then as per the pic, stand it up so it looks like my pic.

picture003o.jpg

Apply the rub you have made up with your hands or a brush if you have one. Whatever, its pretty simple and will make the skin taste great.

Once the chiken is coated in rub, put the excess rub with some water in the bottom of the tray. This will add more moisture to things and keep your chicken even more tender. You can also add garlic, lemon or whatever to the bottom of the tray but i do not bother.

picture004oaj.jpg

Then, put the bird in the oven, or if you have a BBQ (you americans call them grills) put it in that. The grill/BBQ needs a lid though.

picture005cbb.jpg

After this you cook the bird.... i will post pics of the finished product later on :D

Hope this helps someone, I usually do this with some roast vegetables but im a bit lazy today so will eat it with some olives, mashed sweet potatoe and random steamed frozen veg :)

Surprised you didnt pay me out for the coopers light. Only reason i use it is because its like $1.20 which is cheaper then real beers and you can also collect it at the supermarket...

WTF ... I just noticed the Birell...

Its official, you are gay. You can collect your rainbow headband and anal dildo at the door you fucking queer.

Birell is fucking ALCOHOL FREE (faggot) - well virtually alcohol free, less than 1%.

You wouldn't have been berated if you used a Coopers Stout you know, in fact the Coopers Stout is quite nice for this style of cooking.

Last edited:
Haha, there you go.

The alcohol content in the beer doesnt matter. Its purely for moisture. :p

To be honest i usually use a new, but this is easier off the shelf :D

Arguably the alcohol boils off permeating the meat with its flavour. But that depends on who you talk to. I like a nice strong full flavoured stout with lots of alcohol, it just seems to do a much better job. But I understand why you use the Birell just for cost alone.

cool. i used what i had..some extra virgin olive oil, old bay seasoning, lemon salt, fresh pepper, salt, cayenne and some oregano powder. Will Miller lite that TonyElTigre and Skelletor left at my house MANY months ago.

34dr0hu.jpg

cool. i used what i had..some extra virgin olive oil, old bay seasoning, lemon salt, fresh pepper, salt, cayenne and some oregano powder. With Miller lite that TonyElTigre and Skelletor left at my house MANY months ago.

34dr0hu.jpg

set my timer for 30 mins. Ill go from there.

dont know how this ended up a quote..was supposed to be a edit.

Last edited:
great.. took 2 hours all together.

Shit was so juicy it came right off the bone. My kids were asking for 2nds. They really liked the taste of the skin.

it was great. My family of 4 ate half the chicken minus 1 chicken breast. So we have half a chicken + 1 breast as left overs.

Great meal to feed my entire family for under 5 bucks... the chicken cost me 3 bucks.

Back