Was Finski a dick?

Finski

Came, Shat, & Conquered++
Veteran X
So, I'm going away for some temporary duty here pretty soon, and it just so happens that my cousin (he's in the same unit as me) is going as well.

He called me today to ask if I would pick him up on our way to the base so as to car pool. There is nothing wrong with his car, I think he just didn't want to leave it out in the snow/weather while were were gone and I was planning on driving myself in anyway.

I said I didn't want to do it. His house isn't what I would consider "on the way" and we already have a very early showtime. (0630) I realize that isn't THAT early to some, but for me, as a night-shifter, it's insane for me to have to be somewhere that early. I'd therefore have to leave my house at least a half-hour earlier.

But my biggest reason for not wanting to do it is that I don't want to have to take him home when we return. When I get home from a trip, I just want to get home to see my kids. I don't want to have to take him home first. That shit sucks.

So, am I being a selfish dick?

-Cliffs: I'm a dick.

If it's the first time he's asked, yeah probably a dick move.

I have this friend who abuses it though. I've given him a ride a couple times and once you do that he continues to ask anytime he needs a ride and eventually I have to say no.

I just checked it out on Google Earth. Going to his house would take me out of my way 12.5 miles, as the crow flies. It's about 11 driving.

If he had transportation issues, then obviously I'd get him. He just doesn't want to leave his car at the base, that's all.

So, just so I'm clear, he's kind of a dick for asking, and I'm kind of a dick for refusing?

Make him pay for gas. Oh wait, it's basically free again. Nevermind.

I don't care about any of that, or "putting miles on my car" whatever. To me, it just seems so unnecessary. He just doesn't want to drive, and asked if I would come get him. There is no real reason for it. I guess that's one of the reasons I said no.

Back