fuck! I thought I was building my credit for the past 3 years, but I wasn't!

Joft

Veteran X
My dad got me my credit card by adding me to his account. He thought that I would build my own credit by using this card, since the card is in my name. But the account is in my dad's name... Which means, as I just found out today, that all my credit activities for the past 3 years count for nothing.

I've used this card for everything, and always paid on time. The original card had a $3000 limit but my activity caused them to increase it to $12000. The original APR was 19% and it's now 12%. My dad never used the account.

I just spent 2 hours on the phone with the card company. They said there's nothing they can do to make my activities for the past 3 years count toward my credit score. FUCK.

Spoiler

If you're over 18, get a card in your name, and keep paying it off every month. Buy gas, and groceries on it. You'll have a good score in no time.

Most fucks can't pay their balance each month. Don't worry about revolving a balance to increase your score, just pay off your monthly gas each month along with any other purchases you make at restaurants and grocery stores.

My credit score is an 802, yet this cc I have through wamu has a limit of only $2750 @ 9%. I have had it for about a year and a half. I have never been late and I pay that shit off in full monthly. I figure it should at LEAST have $5000 limit.

I know. That's what I've been doing for 3 fucking years now. I paid everything with my CC; groceries, gas, monthly bills, tuition.

Despite the fact that the card is in my name and all the payments have been from my checking account, none of it matters. Because I was only an "authorized user" on the credit account, instead of a "secondary user," none of it counts toward my credit.

Three fucking years... for nothing.

lol you're retarded. Although sometimes when you add an authorized user the credit bureaus reconize it and put you on the credit report. This happened with my mother and fathers seperate card on one bureau.

Otherwise your dad should have known this.

My credit score is an 802, yet this cc I have through wamu has a limit of only $2750 @ 9%. I have had it for about a year and a half. I have never been late and I pay that shit off in full monthly. I figure it should at LEAST have $5000 limit.

How old are you and how old is the card? Do you have a lot of other cards?

What really sucks about this, is you'll probably have to start with a gas card, or a store in the mall (Gap, Hollister).

Back in the day, I had 20k in a savings account, and couldn't get a credit card. I eventually wrote the bank and they gave me one. I kept it for a month or so, then said fuck them and got a Discover.

Discover is the best card you can get. If you don't get a Discover, try for Visa or MC. You'll need both. Some places don't take Discover.

What really sucks about this, is you'll probably have to start with a gas card, or a store in the mall (Gap, Hollister).

Back in the day, I had 20k in a savings account, and couldn't get a credit card. I eventually wrote the bank and they gave me one. I kept it for a month or so, then said fuck them and got a Discover.

Discover is the best card you can get. If you don't get a Discover, try for Visa or MC. You'll need both. Some places don't take Discover.

Erm I've had a Discover card in the past. It really wasn't anything to write home about. I look at them like the Saturn of the credit card industry. :shrug:

I'm having the account of my current card transfered to my name, so I don't have to apply for anything new. The account activities will probably affect my credit limit and APR once it's in my name, so that's good. Plus my credit score will now show an account that has been open since 2003, which will also be good. Those are the only advantages I get from 3 fucking years of being a perfect customer.

I really never want a credit card, but I realize this is probably a very bad idea. Maybe I'll get one this year for groceries, gas, and plane tickets. I WOULD like to get in on this frequent flyer stuff.

Ask and I bet they will give it to you.

Never get a credit card? The real question is, why wouldn't you pay for nearly every single thing you buy with a credit card? It's safer than carrying cash, since you are never liable for fraudulent charges if your wallet is stolen. You can dispute charges on your card if some merchant dicks you over, where if you paid with cash your money is just gone. You earn cash back, frequent flyer miles, etc just by using the card. No such perks with cash.

What is the disadvantage to paying for everything with credit and paying it off at the end of the month? Are you worried that once you get a card you will magically turn into a moron and spend more than you can afford?

Carry a balance, don't pay the whole card off every month, it does more if you have SOME balance than if you carry none.

Correct.

And strategically missing a payment or two doesn't hurt.

Also, plunk $500 down on a pre-paid CC to gain enough credit to receive endless offers in your mail. :D

Credit cards are infinitely better then any other form of spending if you're responsible and always pay on time or pay within a 0% apr window.

Rewards, extended warranties, and the best theft protection are only available through credit vs cash or debit. If someone steals your debit card its your money that gets put on hold until things are resolved.

Your credit score is most affected by always paying on time, average age of accounts, and % of utilization. Don't carry a balance and pay to improve your score. Just simply use your card(s) responsibly and a great score comes quickly enough.

I don't think all those endless offers will come now that there's a credit crunch. Basically everyone will get credit the way it should of been.

Get a gas card and pay it off each month. After a year you should be able to get a Discover.

Don't revolve the balance or you'll get used to it. Pay the whole thing on time each month. I have an 855 score, or something like that, it's way up there. Yes, if I revolved it would be higher, but fuck that. I buy groceries, gas, and a few bills on the discover, and pay on time.

Back