do you eat feedlot meat or range-fed?

ZodiaK

Veteran XV
do you know the difference?
do you care?

if you do: is it from your family or do you buy from a local grassfarmer/rancher?

more about nutrition than morality for me.

just making sure you weren't some ecological nutjob :)

i live in a town in northern california that has a definite hippy contingent. as such, there are a few local businesses that sell nothing but range-fed/grass-fed meat. great, delicious cuts for about the same price, unless you have the need/desire to buy your meat in bulk from costco or something. i personally prefer range-fed, but if my family gets to the point where it's far more affordable to buy other meat, i'd probably do that

apparently grass fed beef tastes better. :shrug: i dont know, i buy my beef at the supermarket.

That being said, i eat cow, i dont care or wish to know how its killed. I do however speed past the trucks carrying cows to the slaughterhouse because i think its sad... poor tasty bastards.

just making sure you weren't some ecological nutjob :)

i live in a town in northern california that has a definite hippy contingent. as such, there are a few local businesses that sell nothing but range-fed/grass-fed meat. great, delicious cuts for about the same price, unless you have the need/desire to buy your meat in bulk from costco or something. i personally prefer range-fed, but if my family gets to the point where it's far more affordable to buy other meat, i'd probably do that
i had never really experienced the quality of it until i moved into a ranching community where i've been graciously supplied with free food. even their low-grade ground beef tastes better than anything i've bought in high-dollar hippie stores in the south east.

it's also a hell of a lot leaner.

someone I know who raises their own range-fed cows says that her husband will buy supermarket beef to make steak because their beef is too lean. I have never had any of this grassfed stuff so I wouldn't know, though if I could find it without too much mark-up then I would definitely do grassfed for health reasons.

If I have to eat beef, I like the range-fed.

For red meat I prefer buffalo, moose, reindeer et cetera to beef. I haven't eaten fast food beef in 15 years.

gramps used to have free range cattle, then about 6 weeks before going to market they would be brought up to the lot and be fed honey oats and timothy hay. makes a huge difference in the meat

someone I know who raises their own range-fed cows says that her husband will buy supermarket beef to make steak because their beef is too lean. I have never had any of this grassfed stuff so I wouldn't know, though if I could find it without too much mark-up then I would definitely do grassfed for health reasons.
in my experience this is sometimes the case (steaks being too lean), though i've found if you get cuts that are traditionally well-marbled (rib-eye for example) it'll be some of the better tasting meat i've had. another really good cut is what's called out west a tri-tip, and elsewhere it can also be called a culotte steak. sooo good.

If I have to eat beef, I like the range-fed.

For red meat I prefer buffalo, moose, reindeer et cetera to beef. I haven't eaten fast food beef in 15 years.
i've yet to have any moose or reindeer but not a whole heck of that in my parts.

i've had some elk patties, jerky and sausage this year though. the patties were mixed with beef, and it was free so i can't be too picky.

the antelope i've had has been pretty mixed, but as i understand it that has to do with how hard it was run before death.

if they've processed one this year you should offer to buy a box of patties off them and check it out.

you can also check by state at Pastured Products Directory - Eat Wild but these people are going to want to sell orders with a minimum of 10lbs.

sad part is, I've always wanted to try this grassfed stuff but it has never even occurred to me to get it from them... it's a great idea though, I'm definitely going to ask when they will get another batch.

Back