Which is better... Guitar Hero or Rock Band?

TheGrudge

Veteran XV
I'm thinking about getting one of these music games for my PS3, but which one is better? Guitar Hero or Rock Band? I'm leaning towards Guitar Hero sence it has some Tool songs, but I'd be willing to get Rock Band if it was that much better.

i enjoyed rock band more with the additional instruments, was more fun to play as a band with friends versus just against a computer

but now guitar hero has added that as well, I can't say one will be better than the other, these games are really more about having fun with a group of people than anything else ... the formula has been nailed and they're just iterating imo, i'd suggest getting whichever has more songs you'd like, with the caveat that Rock Band does seem to be more into the DLC and they'll add more songs and things like that

I always liked guitar hero a whole lot more than rock band. Now that guitar hero is coming out with drums/mic, I'd go with that.

I was a Guitar Hero nut until I played Rock Band. Songs in Guitar Hero 3 is much harder than anything in Rock Band 1 or 2, but Rock Band just feels better while playing. Not sure how GH4 will be but I'm sure it'll be the same way. A little harder, but not feel as nice while playing.

rock band by miles, even when considering guitar only

playing guitar hero 3 was like pulling teeth because of how terrible the note charts were. it really doesnt matter if it has a song you'd like if that song is horrible to play

I was a Guitar Hero nut until I played Rock Band. Songs in Guitar Hero 3 is much harder than anything in Rock Band 1 or 2, but Rock Band just feels better while playing. Not sure how GH4 will be but I'm sure it'll be the same way. A little harder, but not feel as nice while playing.

^^^ agree

Guitar Hero: World Tour and Rock Band II are pretty much similar. GH:WT will allow you to create your songs but with heavy restrictions (I assume due to licensing stuff). We play RB2 because it's well established and there's already a sizable catalog of songs, either through DLC or from importing the old RB1 songs into RB2. RB2 also has 20 free songs coming up this fall and numerous full album releases planned (Foo Fighters, No Doubt, Megadeth, RHCP, Rush, etc.). There's also weekly releases (Bad Religion and others this week, for example). GH:WT will obviously have DLC but you'll be starting from scratch.

Check out both playlists and pick what you feel would be best for you and your friends, frankly. It's really about the fun you'll be having, game mechanics are pretty irrelevant for these types of game.

RB will have 500 songs by years end
GH4 will have ~100

RB/GH4 instruments are cross compatible.

My recommendation is to buy the RB2 bundle, and the GH4 game ala carte, and enjoy both.

Rock Band is the true Guitar Hero 1 & 2 successor. The people doing Guitar Hero now are terrible at making fun note charts. The only upper tier song in GH3 that I enjoy playing is Cliffs of Dover.

Last edited:
wait a second rb2 is out? when did i miss this?

Only on Xbox360, and the full bundle won't be available until October. But if you have RB1, everything works fine on RB2 and you can transfer the RB1 songs over.

Tracklist is ok, the early levels are not as much fun as RB1 (Modest Mouse, Survivor, Interpol vs. Nirvana, Weezer? No.), but there are a lot of standout tracks later on. Frankly, I'd have paid it just for Foo Fighters - Everlong and Pearl Jam - Alive. Great tracks.

Rock Band by far. HMX is a much better company.

Having said that, I will probably be buying the disc for GH4 as well for the song creator and of course Tool, even if the 3 songs they have in the game aren't my favorite.

Back