[Vista] And only 1 GB ram....

Amazon Jim

Veteran X
what program can I use to speed it up while I wait for a good deal on more RAM?

Wasn't there something that uses the USB for more?

vista itself uses a usb for prefetch. but it doesnt make it blazing fast. 1 gig isnt bad with vista, 2 gig seems to work ok

1 gig.. ew.. see i don't even like XP with 1 gig.

but yes just plug in a usb and turn on ready boost.. its in vista but not on by default. (service is on.. but need to tell usb to use it)

I have 784mb on my Duron 1.3 computer.. Vista doesn't use all of it, seems to run "ok". Obviously it's slow, but more RAM wouldn't necessarily help me. In most cases, another gig of ram won't really help you either.

A better idea is to disable unneeded services/software that starts up when Vista starts.

Windows Defender will allow you to disable startup stuff.

I have 784mb on my Duron 1.3 computer.. Vista doesn't use all of it, seems to run "ok". Obviously it's slow, but more RAM wouldn't necessarily help me. In most cases, another gig of ram won't really help you either.

A better idea is to disable unneeded services/software that starts up when Vista starts.

Windows Defender will allow you to disable startup stuff.
You're an idiot.

wow vista won't run with a gig of ram huh

i'm glad i'm using shitty old windows xp because my machine has only 512mb

wow vista won't run with a gig of ram huh

i'm glad i'm using shitty old windows xp because my machine has only 512mb

no.. it will run. It will just run crap. Pretty much the same way XP sucks with 512 as well.

I use my laptop for internet browsing only. It runs on Vista with 1gb of memory. While I think it would boot much quicker and run a bit more smooth with 2gb, I don't really see the absolute need.

You're gonna need at least 4 gb before vista starts to feel usable.
It's funny how you say that but my machine works fine with 2gb. I just got done playing dota. I was playing portal earlier, and that ES game before that.

Seriously buy more ram. Get a 2gb kit for $40-50. It's worth it.

I've got a 3Ghz Quad Core....decent computer, but shares mem for vid. :(

I'll try some ReadyBoost turning-on-things and see what happens.....I have tons of memory just sitting around in USB form.

Back