[New Computer] Finally decided to upgrade.

GriDLoK

Veteran XV
It's been about 4 years since I've had a newer computer, it's time for a new one!

XFX GeForce 8800 GTS Extreme
XFX GeForce 8800 GTS Extreme Video Card - FREE Lost Planet: Extreme Condition PC Game, 640MB DDR3, PCI Express, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card PVT80GTHE4 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

Intel 975XBX2KR
Intel 975XBX2KR Motherboard - Intel 975X, Socket 775, ATX, Viiv Ready, Audio, PCI Express, Gigabit LAN, SPDIF, USB 2.0 & Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID BOXD975XBX2KR in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor - 2.40GHz, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Kentsfield, Quad-Core, Retail, Socket 775, BX80562Q6600, Processor with Fan in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

US Modular Cold Fusion
US Modular Cold Fusion Dual Channel 2048MB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB) US1066CF1GBx2 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca
x2

Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI Sound Card
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI Sound Card 70SB073A00000 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

Ultra X3 ULT40064
Ultra X3 ULT40064 1000-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, PCI-E Ready, Energy Efficient, Modular in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

Dell E228WFP 22"
Home & Home Office: E228WFP 22'' Widescreen LCD Monitor

CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000 ATX Full-Tower Case
CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000 ATX Full-Tower Case RC-1000-KSN1-GP in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

All in all with shipping and warranty comes to about $2575 before rebates.

I've already ordered everything, but do you guys got suggestions on what else I might want to look in to?

rofl @ the $300 1000-watt psu

im sure you need all that for a system that draws 400w max

I'm thinking more long term now, alot of these newer graphics cards require insane amounts of power, I figure if I buy this now, it could save me money in the long run.

I'm thinking more long term now, alot of these newer graphics cards require insane amounts of power, I figure if I buy this now, it could save me money in the long run.

X-bit labs - The Grand Clash for Watts: Power Consumption of Modern Graphics Cards (page 4)

the article is a year old, but there you can see that ~120 watts is max for a year ago. it shouldn't be much higher now and it won't go above 150 before you decide to get a new computer

you cpu uses about 130 watts when it's full capacity (which is basically never). sound cards and hard drives don't use much power at all

basically you wasted a bunch of money because you didn't do any research

Quad core is a waste of money unless you're planning on doing something like rendering... you should get the fastest dual core you can. Something like the E6750 will OC very nicely.

Quad core is a waste of money unless you're planning on doing something like rendering... you should get the fastest dual core you can. Something like the E6750 will OC very nicely.

I was wondering about this. Seems as though if you aren't running well crafted multi-threaded applications, you'd get more bang for your buck with a faster dual core.

Interesting.

i hope you're rich because i know a lot of things that i'd like to do with the $200 you wasted on your psu

I was wondering about this. Seems as though if you aren't running well crafted multi-threaded applications, you'd get more bang for your buck with a faster dual core.

Interesting.

graphics rendering is off-loaded to the GPU (which already parallelizes many of the operations since graphics rendering is very susceptible to being parallelized), therefore you will get almost no performance increase with a quad-core over a dual-core of the same frequency (and architecture)

for most other applications which don't require a GPU, parallelizing them is very hard. but i'm guessing gridlok bought the quad-core thinking it'll increase his fps :lol:

the more you know

Interesting.

Yup. Everyone's going nuts over quad-core, but it's going to be a long time before it's useful, if ever. It's hard enough to get a game that's multithreading-capable, and the ones are certainly aren't optimized to take advantage of a quad-core CPU.

Well durak, hope you're happy, I phoned them and took it off the order, I'll have to check this out after I get everything if I still want to get it. :)

Everything else im very happy with.

your pc seems like a colossal waste of money. that motherboard better be made of gold to cost $250.

Back