Who Just Yanks Portable Devices Out Of The USB Port Without Ejecting Them In The OS?

Miracle

Veteran X
I always go through the hassle of ejecting the devise through the OS (much more annoying in Windows XP than it is in OS X).

But I wonder . . . does it really damage key drives, Ipods, etc . . . if I just yank them out?

Does anybody just yank them out? (Assuming it's not in the middle of a transfer or any visible operation).

Yes, it can corrupt the data on the drives that were plugged in. My iPod became corrupt when the cord was unplugged before being ejected.

I Sometimes Pull The USB Drive Out Before Ejecting Through The OS, However I Have Never Had A Problem With It Before

I Usually Just Yank It Out, However I Do Not Have A USB HD Or Anything Similar, Just USB Headset :F

Yes, it can corrupt the data on the drives that were plugged in. My iPod became corrupt when the cord was unplugged before being ejected.

i yank them out all the time. i think it's only likely to corrupt the data if there is data transfer in progress. with the ipod, it's always trying to update shit and get a clean charge.. so you shouldn't yank it. but like a pen drive? as long as you're not reading/writing to the drive it should be fine

Back