are the last 4 books in the Ender series worth reading?

i just finished children of the mind, decent enough ending to the quartet, but i thought it focused too much on Novinha's children and got to be boring. I know Ender's Shadow is about Bean, which sounds kinda interesting, but after finishing this quartet I don't know what to expect of the next quarter.

I liked the first one, tolerated the second, didn't finish the third.

the fourth would have you putting your head in the oven, then. halfway through reading Children i stopped and read 3 other books coz I couldn't take it. but i couldn't just quit the series...

edit: wait, are you talking about the first 4 or last 4?

the shadow books are like the ender books ++

AKA even bigger loser of a kid grows up to be even more of a superpowerful dude

i liked enders shadow and shadow of the hegemon...shadow puppets and the other one not so much

ender's shadow is ender's game from a different perspective.

spoiler opinion:
Spoiler

the rest of the ender's shadow series are altogether different books from ender's shadow. it's like how speaker for the dead, xenocide, and children of the mind are all different from ender's game. good imho, but very different.

Speaker for the dead was really good but Xenocide I didn't care for at all.

edit: just realized you probably meant the stories revolving around bean.

They're definitely worth reading. I think Ender's Game is still the best written of the entire series, but all of the books are good.

Orson Scott Card's Homecoming series is pretty good too.

Fuck the Shadow series, they absolutely ruin the series and show how OSC has gone soft. Personally, I enjoyed the original books a helluva lot more than the Shadow series, but if you didn't like the first series, DEFINITELY don't bother with the second.

Ive only read Enders Game, Enders Shadow, and Shadow of the Hegemon

hegemon takes a pretty drastic different approach as far as content goes I think, its been a while but I think it was way more into politics/military functions and such.

Enders Shadow was pretty cool, I liked it a lot, but not nearly as much as when i first read Enders Game.

Spoiler

Yeah, the Shadow series pretty much parallels the Ender series in terms of readability.
The first one was pretty good, though, like most people have already said, undermines Ender's character a bit. The following books kind of meander off into the realm of ludicrousness as with the original series.

while i love ender's game, i think orson scott card is always the same. first book (possibly first 2) in a series (ender's, bean's, and the homecoming series) are always incredibly good, but the further into the series you get, the stranger the plotlines and characters become. good rule of thumb is first 2 books are solid and then it starts to get a little weird.

ender's shadow and (i think) shadow of the hegemon (2nd book in bean's series?) were good.

Personally I liked Enders Shadow more than Enders Game itself. I also liked Shadow of the Hegemon and Shadow of the Giant.

Personally I liked Enders Shadow more than Enders Game itself. I also liked Shadow of the Hegemon and Shadow of the Giant.

Ya, I've always liked bean better then ender.

Also, if you like one side of the series more then the other you are kinda screwed because you will have to know both sides for the forthcoming book that bridges the gap and finishes both sides of the series.

Hey, I liked all of the Shadow books almost as much as Ender's Game - I don't know where all this hate for them is coming from.

But then, I enjoyed Children of the Mind, especially since it was just so batshit insane.

Back