How do I check which service pack is installed?

Skyler

Contributor
Veteran XV
If any?

I am working on this girl's computer, trying to get her iPod to work. She has a dialup connection at home, and the iPod updates are like 30 megs each...So, I took her computer home to work on a high-speed connection, and everything on the iPod end is updated, but, they are running a USB 1.0 host controller on this machine.

When I try to install the VIA USB 2.0 host controller, it tells me to install XP SP1 or greater in order to continue...

Don't you just right-click my computer and go to properties to find out what SP you are running? Because uh....it doesn't say.

It doesn't show me...:|

The worst part is, apparently these guys are using a non-genuine version of Windows XP...but Windows Update will show me updates I CAN download AFTER validation, and SP1/2 aren't in that list.

32 or 64 bit?

64 bit only has SP1.

and get a legit copy? if either of you are college students, you should be able to get an oem copy at your school. i got 2 keys for 5 bucks.

You could try downloading SP2 from the Microsoft site, instead of windows update. Even if it doesn't install, it might give you a useful message as to why.

Cool. It's backing up and installing now. :D

Now I really hope I can get USB 2.0 on this machine...I've never even heard of the motherboard manufacturer before...though it does have a VIA chipset.

Okay.

Service Pack 2 is installed....man what a resource hog.

Anyway, I tried installing the USB 2.0 drivers that wouldn't install before...and, well, it let me pass that point, but it still seems that there are "NON HI-SPEED USB CONTROLLERS" installed on this system.

Maybe the motherboard is too old and just doesn't support it.

I've been having trouble finding ANYTHING pertaining to this motherboard.

It's a "Pc400 systems" motherboard "m925" series, but it comes up as ECSUSA motherboards, but I can't find m925 ANYWHERE.

People need to understand they can't be cheapskates if they want new technology to run with computers that are more than 3 years old.

So nice to be back on my own computer.

It's an old machine, nothing else to it. The iPod that she wants working just will not work on such a slow USB connection. I just hooked it up to my machine, and it works great.

If that mobo only has USB 1.0 hardware, those are the only drivers you're going to be able to install. And hardware devices that are not backward compatible to 1.0 will not run. Upgrade time.

Just a FYI I hope you figured out already. If it doesn't say which SP it is its because it doesn't have one applied.

I don't blame her, updating thru dialup would be a nightmare. If she had highspeed I'd call her a dumb whore.

Back