What's the overall benefit of buying a macbook?

Le Sean

Veteran XV
Within the next month, I'll be buying a laptop. Right now I'm debating between a tablet for note-taking, a smaller laptop with vista and decent power, and a powerbook pro.

Now, besides the sexy, why am I considering the powerbook at all? What's the big advantage does mac offer, and does it seriously outweigh the disadvantages of being a complete mac virgin (well, that's not entirely true my HS had mac's)?

Is it difficult to warez programs for mac's? I'm not going to lie-I'm not even going to consider paying 400 bucks for this or 500 for that for a damn program, but I wouldn't even know what program's I'd 'need' if I were to get a macbook.

In a perfect world, I'd be able to buy a beefy tablet that I could game on decently were I so inclined. If I'm going to mostly be surfing, using media, and doing light gaming, is the macbook that great of an overall choice for someone who knows nothing of macs?

Q: Is it hard to warez programs for mac?

A: No, not at all, in fact, it's easier.

Q: Is a macbook a good choice for people who don't know how to use macs?
A: Absolutely! With the ability to run parallels in coherence mode, you can also have windows programs running on your desktop sorta kinda. But you will find yourself using macosx a lot more.

The programs you will need for media is vlc, and ilife. Mail is a good email app, firefox or safari are both great browsers. Also, Microsoft office 2004 is pretty damn good also.

with bootcamp installed a mac can be a pc. there is no difference anymore.

as for obtaining software for the mac, it is just as easy as it is for the pc.

I like macs, I don't know anything about gaming on it though. I doubt there is really any advantage either way for light computer tasks.

These are all valid reasons and my initial doubt has been assuaged. If only apple would come out with a fucking tablet; I'd get so much pooty, Jesus.

I'm really thinking about the pro-should I just go for it, or is apple planning on upgrading to led backlights/better vid card anytime soon?

These are all valid reasons and my initial doubt has been assuaged. If only apple would come out with a fucking tablet; I'd get so much pooty, Jesus.

I'm really thinking about the pro-should I just go for it, or is apple planning on upgrading to led backlights/better vid card anytime soon?

depends. Macbook pro's have bigger screens and a better video card to start with. Do you want to game on it? If not, then just use a normal macbook.

Oh, and how long until the new OS comes out/how painless is the upgrade? Should that influence my decision to purchase at all?

Oh, and how long until the new OS comes out/how painless is the upgrade? Should that influence my decision to purchase at all?

As you have already stated that you are going to warez the OS and other programs anyways, don't bother waiting. The new mac pro's/imacs will be based off of the intel 965 chipset, but I don't know much about the macbooks. either way, upgrading is pretty damn painless. Pop in the cd, boot, click on upgrade.

I'm definitely sticking with windows because I want my laptop environment to be as similar as possible to my desktop environment, and I still use my desktop for gaming.

Check out Tablet PC Reviews.

When I use my tablet pc at school, it's in laptop mode 90% of the time. I can type much faster than I can write, and it's much more legible. I have word and excel on the laptop, so that's where all my notes go.

In fact, if there were some way to draw freehand in word xp or excel xp, I wouldn't even use the tablet-note-taking application. I'd just hand-draw what I had to/what was faster to (like graphs or math equations) and type everything else around it.

I made a thread about upgrading a few weeks ago, but I'm thinking I may hold off to see what new laptops come out over the summer.

Back