TW doctors and/or smokers, explain this.

Apc

Veteran XV
Alright, so i smoked weed for about a year straight now. But on new years, i decided to stop for a couple months and limit myself. Sure enough, i ended up smoking 7 days later.

But after that night, i started feeling like there was something like a bone sticking in my throat, or to be more reasonable, something swollen like a gland. Along with that, id get many events of heart burn shooting up my chest.

Now, i didn't think much of this until now, but i smoked about 4 days after that night (bad idea, thanks). This time, i was getting heart palputations badly, uncontrolable shaking, shortness of breath, and some sort of panic attacks.. bad news. so i slept the night out saying im done smoking. The next week or so, i only felt chest pains or heart burn here and there.

but we all know thats not the end of the story. This past thursday, i realized that my pains were at a minimum... so i decided to take 4 hits from a blunt to see how thatll do. Again, bad move. The same fucking shit happened :mad:! In addition to the past symptoms, i started getting aggrevating pains in my left arm and shoulder.. horrible pains. So i slept them out in my dorm room.

After that, i still get small chest pains and minor pains in my left arm and shoulder... but its still annoying. Ive been starting the habit to exercise near daily to hopefully help, which seems like it does. So now, i'm officially done smoking weed or anything (even though all i ever did was smoke weed), because these pains definately arn't worth it.

Finally, my question to those who read this far and actually car (hopefully someone does :(), wtf is wrong with me? Am i allergic to weed or smoke? Am i dieing? And what should i do?

Cliffs:
-- Smoked weed for a year straight (basically)
-- Stopped for new years, but started again 7 days later
-- But this time i got chest pains, heart palputations, shortness of breath, blahblahblah
-- Stopping for a good while
-- Wtf is wrong and what do i do??

and i didnt bother editting and revising... so deal with it <3

marijuana is known to be able to induce anxiety and other psychiatric problems

i recommend abstaining

There's nothing wrong with you. Just smoke another joint. You'll be fine. You know you'll do it again even if I hadn't suggested it.

wow man that sucks i wish i knew you so i could help :/try smoking a cigarette and see if it is all smoke i think that would be a good ideajust take one hit and if you feel it coming on stop

further, marijuana isn't really the 'benign' drug everyone thinks it is

it manipulates the brain and various neurotransmitters in ways that we don't even fully comprehend yet

one of the other metabolites, CBD i believe, is linked to negative mental side effects associated with marijuana (paranoia/anxiety)

marijuana causes a surge in dopamine in the body, which has been found in psychiatric patients to be linked to psychosis and schizophrenia. an entire class of drugs is devoted to antagonizing dopamine reception.

so its entirely conceivable that your marijuana use has provoked some kind of anxiety condition or caused an underlying one to come out

Alright, so i smoked weed for about a year straight now. But on new years, i decided to stop for a couple months and limit myself. Sure enough, i ended up smoking 7 days later.

But after that night, i started feeling like there was something like a bone sticking in my throat, or to be more reasonable, something swollen like a gland. Along with that, id get many events of heart burn shooting up my chest.

Now, i didn't think much of this until now, but i smoked about 4 days after that night (bad idea, thanks). This time, i was getting heart palputations badly, uncontrolable shaking, shortness of breath, and some sort of panic attacks.. bad news. so i slept the night out saying im done smoking. The next week or so, i only felt chest pains or heart burn here and there.

but we all know thats not the end of the story. This past thursday, i realized that my pains were at a minimum... so i decided to take 4 hits from a blunt to see how thatll do. Again, bad move. The same fucking shit happened :mad:! In addition to the past symptoms, i started getting aggrevating pains in my left arm and shoulder.. horrible pains. So i slept them out in my dorm room.

After that, i still get small chest pains and minor pains in my left arm and shoulder... but its still annoying. Ive been starting the habit to exercise near daily to hopefully help, which seems like it does. So now, i'm officially done smoking weed or anything (even though all i ever did was smoke weed), because these pains definately arn't worth it.

Finally, my question to those who read this far and actually car (hopefully someone does :(), wtf is wrong with me? Am i allergic to weed or smoke? Am i dieing? And what should i do?

Cliffs:
-- Smoked weed for a year straight (basically)
-- Stopped for new years, but started again 7 days later
-- But this time i got chest pains, heart palputations, shortness of breath, blahblahblah
-- Stopping for a good while
-- Wtf is wrong and what do i do??

and i didnt bother editting and revising... so deal with it <3

There are hundreds of chemicals in the shit you smoke. Your body probably got used to them. What i think happened is after a year of heavy weed smoking, suddenly stopping for seven days and then going back to it threw your body out of wack.
I recommend going to see a REAL doctor and asking him.
Try to quit.

For the love of God, do not, I repeat, do not go see a doctor and make sure nothing is wrong.

Hey, chest pain radiating to the shoulder with shortness of breath and palpitations, that can't be anything serious, right? :rolleyes:

yobol, at your hospital are they using any kind of field EMS 12 lead for identification of STEMI and subsequent notification for early identification of patients that are gonna need urgent cardiac cath?

yobol, at your hospital are they using any kind of field EMS 12 lead for identification of STEMI and subsequent notification for early identification of patients that are gonna need urgent cardiac cath?

As far as I know, EMS doesn't do EKGs in the field, though it's been a while since I've worked in the ER so they may have implemented something in the meantime. I do know the STEMIs I've admitted were diagnosed in the ER, and I do not remember seeing field 12 leads.

well, the soul purpose why i dont go see a doctor is i instantly get 10 times better the morning after. And the pains minimise as the days go on. I plan on going to a doctor in a few weeks if and only if these pains dont go away completely. They can easily tell me exactly what i've been harping, and that is STOP SMOKING, and come back if symptoms continue. Thought that would be obvious enough.

As for you invar, i'm already quite aware of this :[

Go to the doctor as soon as possible. Why put that shit off?

I don't want to come off as a major worrier, but you're already paying for health insurance, why not use it? $15 or $25 co-pay for peace of mind.

I just had the same argument with my girlfriend. She was feeling weird for a few months, numerous symptoms. Her primary care physician kept saying it was just a hormone change causing it and changed her birth control 3 times.

Finally I got pissed and convinced her to get a second opinion. The first thing the new doctor does is take blood. Her thyroid was sluggish, and apparently her own body is attacking her thyroid. The doctor said at the rate it was going, in a few months she could have had neurological problems.

Moral of the story: Pony up the fucking co-pay and see a doctor before something bad turns even worse.

if you have insurance, go see your regular doctor. Given that you smoke pot on a regular basis, you probably haven't been to a "doctor" in quite some time. That's fine. If you have an HMO, find a doctor on your list that you think seems okay and when you talk to him (her) tell them that you smoked weed for a while and had those symptoms. Usually doctors are pretty cool.

I've talked to my doctor about almost anything you can think of. If you don't want to have a social relationship with your doctor, then go to a walk in clinic and tell them your symptoms. They will probably be like "uh...you're an idiot for smoking pot" and charge you $130 for the visit.

No, i'm not fat... i'm actually quite skinny for my age, 18.

And i forgot to mention the fact i did go see a doctor on my campus in between the two 'incidents'. She asked if i smoked, not saying what, and i told her i did ocassionally (oh well). So she checked my breathing, ears, throat, etc and said everything looked and sounded fine. She recommended me to stop smoking and start exercising, and that stress built up could also be a part of these symptoms.

But a question for you glow, what kind of symptoms was she experiencing and for how long? I never had these problems until these past 2 times smoking and as i said before, after a couple days of not smoking, i only have small pains here and there. Again, ill go see a real doctor if these minor pains continue to bother me for a couple more weeks.

(thanks for the help thus far, and more opinions are always apperciated <3)

Back