today I stop working my nice clean IT job and become a dirty...

amRam

Contributor
Veteran XX
... construction worker.

Im quitting today and going to work at my dad's construction company where I'll eventually take over his duties when he gets tired of running around and working to keep the business up. I realized that his is the only industry (locally anyway) where there's actually too many jobs and not enough people/time to do them all... there's money around every corner, way more than I'd ever make doing what Im doing now.

quittin' time boys!!!!

This is Soviet Canuckistan, most contractors are either cakers or old school Europeans like my dad... then again that includes spics and porkchops so yeah maybe I need to go take some classes.

[Peter and Lawrence are working on the crew cleaning up the burned Initech building]
Peter Gibbons: This isn't so bad, huh? Makin' bucks, gettin' exercise, workin' outside.
Lawrence: Fuckin' A.
Peter Gibbons: [nods] Fuckin' A.

[Peter and Lawrence are working on the crew cleaning up the burned Initech building]
Peter Gibbons: This isn't so bad, huh? Makin' bucks, gettin' exercise, workin' outside.
Lawrence: Fuckin' A.
Peter Gibbons: [nods] Fuckin' A.

Honestly, the last 2 years of my life have totally been Office Space.

I was getting paid for 40+ hours of work when in reality I was only working about 20. I was getting up at 10-10:30 and I'd be back home by 3pm many days... I was doing nothing at the office, and they were paying me. I even got 3 raises during that time.

This is a fitting end to my office career. Now it's time to make some big bucks.

Honestly, the last 2 years of my life have totally been Office Space.

I was getting paid for 40+ hours of work when in reality I was only working about 20. I was getting up at 10-10:30 and I'd be back home by 3pm many days... I was doing nothing at the office, and they were paying me. I even got 3 raises during that time.

This is a fitting end to my office career. Now it's time to make some big bucks.

Shit,
With those hours, why not work both jobs? :)

Shit,
With those hours, why not work both jobs? :)

We're getting busier and Im realizing that the IT job is an eventual dead end... there's only so far I can grow, and Im greedy and I want a Porsche :)

Really, this is a long term move. My dad's got job offers (not small-time stuff, but finishing work in new condo and various buildings around the city) coming out the ass and the only reason he hasn't really grown past the half million mark is because he hasn't had help at the top... he can only delegate so much and its been comfortable for him at this pace. I wanna get in there to turn it up a notch and make some money.

You're lucky to have a father hand over a business to you.
Yes, IT is a dead end, unless you start your own company.
The people who make the most money, are those who run their own companies. Private owners make more than CEOs and suits in office jobs. If you can duplicate your company into another part of the country, then you make millions. But as it is, you'll probably make huge bucks running one.
The tradeoff, is that you'll be working more hours, have less vacation time, and become a work-a-holic.

You're lucky to have a father hand over a business to you.
Yes, IT is a dead end, unless you start your own company.
The people who make the most money, are those who run their own companies. Private owners make more than CEOs and suits in office jobs. If you can duplicate your company into another part of the country, then you make millions. But as it is, you'll probably make huge bucks running one.
The tradeoff, is that you'll be working more hours, have less vacation time, and become a work-a-holic.

The company I work for now has been around for almost 15 years and the owner is far from rich. He's living comfortably, but a lot of that is due to investments and not just his business.

The bottom line is, we have to chase the work around. In my dad's company, the work just comes to him. If there's ever a few weeks downtime, he can pick up the phone and get some quick jobs immediately for the next day so his guys aren't idling around.

His company has already done work in most of Ontario, and they've worked in Bahamas, Anguilla, Florida, and Barbados as well. Branching out into the US market is something him and my brother have thought about for a while, but they'd need help and I want in.

The IT work has been great for my lifestyle up till now... but reality set in and I need a stronger career for the future. I've been able to afford all the toys I want and work very flexible hours but the IT job will never get me one of these:

290506por.jpg

So why bother...

it's cliche, but liking your job is more important than more money.

course, family is more important than both, so meh.

I'm in IT and seem to run into the same roadblocks at every company ive been at. A dumbass boss or running out of new things to do, ie system is installed, why do we need ot upgrade it? Why do we need new things? I tried field Technician but I almost killed myself, that sucked ass. Im sure the owners were raking it in but owning a business is not for me.

I'd love a new career path but I doubt I could ever find anything that makes the money I do now - not that its alot. Plus, I don't know what I would do.

I'm in IT and seem to run into the same roadblocks at every company ive been at. A dumbass boss or running out of new things to do, ie system is installed, why do we need ot upgrade it? Why do we need new things? I tried field Technician but I almost killed myself, that sucked ass. Im sure the owners were raking it in but owning a business is not for me.

I'd love a new career path but I doubt I could ever find anything that makes the money I do now - not that its alot. Plus, I don't know what I would do.
Nursing's in demand.

I love to laugh at all these people at local tech colleges who are going into IT. A lot of them don't understand or don't believe the bubble popped 6 years ago. A lot of people who know me ask "Why don't you go into computers instead of business?" and I tell them that you have to have a 4-year computer science degree and 10 years of experience to get an entry level job, because there are people with that kind of education and experience who can't find anything but entry level work.

it's cliche, but liking your job is more important than more money.

course, family is more important than both, so meh.

I wasn't in love with my job so it wasn't exactly hard to leave it... also, securing my future is much more important than liking my current job and there's nothing more I'd love than to take over my dad's company and give him an easy retirement. He busted his ass his whole life to provide for our family so it's the least I can do.

Back