Explain to me why "Plan B" should not be sold like candycorn from vending machines

Miracle

Veteran X
Explain to me why "Plan B" should not be sold like candycorn from vending machines

So our government has taken a long-ass time to approve a fantastic contraceptive for over-the-counter sale. (E.G. since 1999).

Just recently, the FDA said it would allow the manufacturer to market it to people over 18.

Meanwhile, lots of unwanted pregnancies have not been stopped. Hoodlums who would have been prevented if this was available in 1999 will be robbing us in 2010 because our government dragged its feet.

Seriously, give me some good reasons why morning-after pills with few side effects should not be sold like candy. Especially to minors. I mean, what is this need for people to control their daughters' bodies? It borders on pedophilia.

At the very least, "Plan B" should cost $5 from the same vending machines in womens' rest rooms that sell tampons.

some religious organizations (catholic coalition, baptist conference, etc.) consider forms of contraception like this to be equal to abortion.

I think it would give people a false sense of security. More kids would be having unprotected sex and making the girls pop these pills in the morning. As a result, STD rates will begin to rise again.

some religious organizations (catholic coalition, baptist conference, etc.) consider forms of contraception like this to be equal to abortion.
Nobody is forcing them to take these pills so they should shut the fuck up and stop trying to impose their radical religious beliefs on the rest of society.

I think it would give people a false sense of security. More kids would be having unprotected sex and making the girls pop these pills in the morning. As a result, STD rates will begin to rise again.
I think kids are going to fuck as much as they can either way.

I think kids are going to fuck as much as they can either way.
Right but at least now there is more sex education going on and condom use rates are increasing (if I'm to believe a 10 second snippet from Headline News that I saw yesterday). I think it's obvious that if there was a cheap, efficient, easily-obtained, and side-effect free method of contraception then more and more people would use it as opposed to condoms.

Nobody is forcing them to take these pills so they should shut the fuck up and stop trying to impose their radical religious beliefs on the rest of society.

They arent that radical, but I agree - its none of their business what the rest of the world does. If they want to tell their church members what to do, and those members want to do it? Fine, but that is the line. It stops there. They've got no right to dictate or force anyone else to conform; thats fascism.

I agree. I would have referred to them as "radical", but that would have led some other asshole into the thread to defend these groups, and say that they're mainstream beliefs, etc., and derail the thread. :shrug:

I haven't used a condom in seven months, and my gf is not on BC. I use the good ole withdrawl method.

In high school (catholic high school), one of my teachers for sex ed class informed the class that he and his wife used this method, and it was completely effective.

He had like 10 kids...:rolleyes:

Back