Why do pedestrians always seem to talk to themselves?

Afterimage

Contributor
Veteran XX
Have you ever noticed this? I always see people, not necessarily homeless (or dressed like it), seem to get into very animated discussions with no one in particular while strolling the sidewalk.

Am I missing out? :(

There talking to other people and you just don't see the other person because you are color blind.

racist

one time i saw a homeless guy wandering around, listening to his headphones, singing along loudly

they were plugged into a mcdonalds soda cup

Reverend Zero said:
one time i saw a homeless guy wandering around, listening to his headphones, singing along loudly

you made that up! yay for imaginations

Reverend Zero said:

I saw this posted on another site about 3 years ago. Was it you as well?

---

Back to the original post, maybe they have a bluetooth earpiece and are wheeling and dealing. For example, you may have seen our resident-millionaire Akuma doing this and with this tattered clothes, mistaken him for a street person.

first time I went to DC a few years ago i was amazed that everyone was doing this. just yammering away to noone in particular.

back then, people around here who were talking on their cellphones would kind of keep their voices down and such to be polite. now it's just like that here too, people just blah blah blah as loud as can be with nobody around talking to them.

I kind of do it in the car. Though I don't talk out loud, I do sometimes mouth the words when I'm in deep thought.

I think I do this. I catch myself doing it sometimes at intersections or when suddently there's people around.

Somtimes it's singing under my breath, sometimes it's just thinking outloud about random things.

KoPoT said:
perhaps bluetooth ear peices/head set?
That's exactly what I thought....

I was going to mention, "Can anyone say hands-free cell phone?"

My boss wears one of those things & it's so annoying to see her walking around just jabber-jawwing to nobody.

I talk to myself when driving, or rather, I yell at the idiot in front of or behind me when they do something stupid even though I know they can't hear me.

I actually love talking to those people.

This one time, my ex and I were driving through downtown Norfolk and -- while stopped at a light -- noticed this guy crossing the intersection in front of us ... bobbing his head and counting out loud, to nobody in particular.

ONE!

TWO!

THREE!

FOUR!

FIVE!

SIX!

SEVEN!

EIGHT!

NINE!

TEN!

TWELVE!

At this point, I yell out my window: "ELEVEN!"