[current affairs] Surprising poll of american attitudes re: immigration

TseTse

Veteran X
Surprisingly high. Sure indicates the political fall-out that will happen for those (GOP) who are taking such a hard-line on this issue.

(CNN) -- More than three-quarters of Americans favor allowing illegal immigrants who have spent many years in the United States to apply for citizenship, according to a poll conducted for CNN by Opinion Research Corp.

In the poll, released Tuesday, 77 percent of those responding favored allowing illegal immigrants who have been in United States for more than five years to stay and apply for citizenship if they have a job, and pay a fine and back taxes. Twenty percent said they opposed such a measure.

I underline those points because i think it's important to notice the qualifications tossed into this, that it isnt just some generic "amnesty" that some want to make this about.

Heck, those back taxes could help Bush balance the budget!

they will never be able to pay all back taxes and a fine at once

get the fuckers out, or at least make it look like we're doing it enough to make the illegals live in fear and never leave their home

TseTse said:
Surprisingly high. Sure indicates the political fall-out that will happen for those (GOP) who are taking such a hard-line on this issue.

I underline those points because i think it's important to notice the qualifications tossed into this, that it isnt just some generic "amnesty" that some want to make this about.

Heck, those back taxes could help Bush balance the budget!

Wasn't that one of the ideas passed around in that proposed bill a few weeks back?

It never works like that, because then the Hatians and Cubans protest and want the same crap we're trying to give to the Mexicans. Just what we need, a bunch of Hatians coming into the country using up our resources and playing the race card.

"Back taxes" being taxes they would have payed had they been citizens all the years they have been in the US?

Zombie said:
Wasn't that one of the ideas passed around in that proposed bill a few weeks back?
That probably was the dream act
5 years in the US, and requires being in college or 2 years of military to be able to get a greencard, not citizenship

Since some other important facts were omitted from the original post...
A majority opposed a proposal to allow iIlegal immigrants who have been in the United States for two to five years to stay on a temporary basis, without a chance to apply for U.S. citizenship. Fifty-four percent opposed that measure, and 40 percent favored it.

A proposal to deport illegal immigrants in the United States for less than two years was favored by 64 percent and opposed by 31 percent.

For the poll, 1,012 adult Americans were interviewed by telephone between Friday and Sunday; it has a sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Close the fucking borders... what's the point of having them if they're meaningless? And I'd like to know how the fuck those mexicans are going to be able to pay 5 years of back taxes, let alone prove how much they earned in those 5 years if they never received W-2s.

thats an impossible "solution" because illegals arent just going to make themselves known at the cost of thousands of dollars. wouldn't a better solution (for them) be to remain illegal?

houston said:
i align myself with the forefathers notion of an open-armed country where everybody is welcome

But they need to be properly identified, accountable and pay taxes.

Archimedes said:
The problem with trying to collect fines and back-taxes is that it becomes such a huge bureaucratic undertaking.

Not if it's a REQUIREMENT to stay here legally.

The only people who "lose" in this are those employers who prefer below minimum wage undocumented workers... and these immigrants coming forward to pay taxes for working ILLEGALLY causes serious issues about the employers.

The immigrants will rush to embrace this... but it is gonna cause serious questions about the peopel who were paying them for 5+ years. This could have serious political and economic ripple effects for whole entire industries who've been operating outside the legal marketplace.

But we have no choice. We need to clear up this mess.

Last edited:
TF_Grungir said:
Go after the companies that employ them. That is the only way to deal with this. Remove the demand.

You can do that to big companies like Walmart. Hell they had a raid here in Jersey like a year ago and caught a ton of people. I loved it.

But there are alot of landscapers and other small businesses that they really can't get.

I agree with deporting them all and a giant fucking wall with guns at the border.

TF_Grungir said:
Go after the companies that employ them. That is the only way to deal with this. Remove the demand.

You realize that's our entire agricultural sector and large server industries, right?

Our society & economy = the demand.

We have to start being fuckin honest...

Last edited:
Yea, the underlines section really changes things. btw, how do you prove they have been here for more than 5 years? Also, what makes you think they can afford to pay a fine and back taxes. It sounds good, but will never work like that.

TseTse said:
You realize that's our entire agricultural section and large server industries, right?

Our society & economy = the demand.

We have to start being fuckin honest...

Yup. Id like to see a study done on how much the cost of goods would increase vs. the actual amount illegals cost us tax-wise.
Im not saying that they cant be here... I just dont want them here illeagaly and undocumented. Give them a special work visa, make them exempt from the min. wage, and have them or the companies they work for pay something into the system. THere has to be a compromise that would work.

Back