[halp] My computer hates my E:\ drive!!!

Plasmatic

Contributor
Veteran XX
I tend to store all of my media on my E:\ drive, mp3, videos, etc. But in the past I've also used it as a backup drive. C and D are on sata connectors, and E is on an ide raid connector with the same controller as the sata drives. Now I'm on my 3rd drive in that position in less than 1 year. The one I'm transfering data from now is a WD 3000 (300gigs). HALP

btw, i hope you keep RMAing that drive because even the shittiest warranty is still 1 year.

His IDE hard drives keep breaking. He is on his third drive in less than a year. He called it E:\ because he he has two SATA drives already occupying C: and D:

You had a lemon drive to begin with, and they keep sending you shitty refurbs? How is the heat in your case, and are you doing anything unusual with your hard drive mounting?

I replaced the original sometime last summer with a new WD3000, now it's taken a dump also. I haven't done anything with the original because it's past warranty. I got a UPS this fall so I'm thinking that may reduce it's appetite.

Last edited:
Do you have actual drive bays for all three drives? Are they mounted horizontally or vertically? And again, how are your case temperatures? Also, do you leave your computer on constantly?

In addition, you might want to use a S.M.A.R.T. status monitor of some type to track how quickly your drives are going to shit.

all 4 hard drives slots are filled, and 2 of the 3 optical drive slots. I upgraded the power supply to a 600w sometime late last summer. Let me go get my temp probe.
Sonata_opencase.jpg

check your psu. I have ran into many a problem with psu's and connecting them to ide hard drives. If you must use that psu, then connect the hard drive to a SINGLE molex cable wire. (Aka no other things are connected to your molex cable.)

Back