Cadillac questions

Core

Veteran XV
In my search for a used luxury/performance vehicle I have stumbled upon a 1999 Cadillac STS. I say stumbled because I wasn't even looking at Cadillacs, but this one is located in my home town and I'm going to look at it at lunch today. I've always liked the look of the STS and the more I read about it, the more I like the vehicle. I've read quite a few personal reviews/opinios at cadillacforums.com and for the most part they are full of high praise. Here's the e-bay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4621183059&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

So what's the word TW? Last time I posted saying I was looking at BMW's, the bimmer fans came flying out of the woodworks. I'm guessing the response might not be as optimistic this time. Anyone here have experience with these cars?

Falhawk said:
would you really buy a car off ebay?

I like caddy's btw

I bought my Z on e-bay

cul-de-sac-1.JPG

but in this case since it's local I wouldn't need to.

Last edited:
Falhawk said:
do you know a lot about cars?

I do most of my own work on the Z, but technologically it's much more basic than most cars. I'm capable of most regular maintenance/troubleshooting, just can't do big stuff like pull engines, tranny's, etc. The nice thing about the internet is that for every car there's a forum full of enthusiasts waiting to help you. So what it comes down to (assuming there's no major flaws in the car) is can you afford the gas & maintenance.

If you're looking around that year range, and want something a little smaller with better handling, take a look around for a Catera. If you can find a 2000 or so model, they're well priced and very reliable... plus, old people bought them and only put 30k miles on them over 5 years. And with a 200 hp V6, it'll getty-up when you want it to. Old people cars are loaded with torque.

STS isn't really performance. If you want performance luxury try like a acura TL or caddy CTS, maybe an old lexus GS.

Dope said:
STS isn't really performance. If you want performance luxury try like a acura TL or caddy CTS, maybe an old lexus GS.

I don't think either of those are in his price range considering his present venture.

mybaby4.jpg

I own a CTS-V (Caddy's main sports car for the last couple of years though they are coming out with the 'V' versions of the STS and XLR in fact I think some have already hit the road)
The STS line isn't really considered a performance car (I don't think). STS = "Seville Touring Sedan". They are nice though no question about . If you are merely looking at the big V8 engine...etc that is for 'smooth power'...it will have some get up and go...but the car itself is not as much performance and handling (imho).

I'd be really leary of buying a car off ebay (but then again you are in the town itself to see it beforehand)

JDizzle4Rizzle said:
If you're looking around that year range, and want something a little smaller with better handling, take a look around for a Catera. If you can find a 2000 or so model, they're well priced and very reliable... plus, old people bought them and only put 30k miles on them over 5 years. And with a 200 hp V6, it'll getty-up when you want it to. Old people cars are loaded with torque.

I'd never buy one of those...
The Catera's a rebadged Opel/Vauxhall Omega, which rust like nothing on earth and have a shitload of electronical problems. The cars came on sale in 1994, which is slap bang in the middle of Opel's "bad period" when they produced nothing else but shit. Avoid.

cadillac_catera_02.jpg

bestiales.pl_omega_b_008.jpg

Dope said:
how is that CTS-V? If i had money i'd probably get one but i'm poor right now :(

Ridiculously fun to drive. More power then you need...excellent handling and seats 5. And best of all I can fit 20 x 12packs of beer in the trunk as well (I had a picture of this somewhere but I can't find it right now).

LostDuck said:
Ridiculously fun to drive. More power then you need...excellent handling and seats 5. And best of all I can fit 20 x 12packs of beer in the trunk as well (I had a picture of this somewhere but I can't find it right now).
can you buy me one so i can experience it too?

Back