Does anyone know anything about buying Gold? [not WoW gold u freaks]

Kowboy

Banned
Has anyone ever tried buying gold coins and was it worth it? I like the idea of an investment that is not simply a piece of paper.

I've been hearing on TV and radio tons of adds that say "buy gold now it's the best investment you can make" not that I ever take any ad I see or hear at face value. But I do trust one man on the subject since it seemed like a good plan:

Goldfinger.jpg

Eagle.jpeg

US Eagles -- gold bullion coins approx worth $50.00

You should only buy gold (as in solid gold you can carry around) if you have a tendency to believe that your country will disappear soon.
There are a far better ways to invest in gold than to "buy gold".
Mining companies, sector ETF's, funds, etc.

Fun quote on the subject from Mr. Buffett, "It gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."

Last edited:
Um, don't buy gold. Especially now, considering Gold value is the highest it's been in 25 years or so.

Invest in mutual funds.

Precious metals are always a good investment. Normally I'd say this isn't the time to be buying, since all PMs are very high right now. However, I suspect we're headed towards a recession this year, in which case it'll only continue to go up. It's all a gamble short-term, but you're unlikely to lose money in the long-term. You don't really make money unless the demand spikes relative to the supply - you should think of it as a hedge against inflation... it'll just increase relative to the devaluation of the dollar.

Kowboy said:
Eagle.jpeg

US Eagles -- gold bullion coins approx worth $50.00
FYI that's worth a lot more than $50. The gold alone is worth about $570 right now, add the currency value to that as well as a little profiteering, and you should expect to pay around $600 for that coin.

Last edited:
KellyMonaco said:
FYI that's worth a lot more than $50. The gold alone is worth about $570 right now, add the currency value to that as well as a little profiteering, and you should expect to pay around $600 for that coin.

Thanks for the info, and I was just going by what the website said about the price of the coin... wonder why they list it as only being worth 50... strange.

Kowboy said:
Thanks for the info, and I was just going by what the website said about the price of the coin... wonder why they list it as only being worth 50... strange.
The value as currency is 50 dollars. This is a prime example of why it would be foolish to use precious metals as currency. The gold would be more valuable melted down and sold than used to purchase something.
I'm surprised that the U.S still mints non-token coins as currency :eek:

The coin is legal US tender, and has a face value of $50. However anyone would be retarded to use it for that purpose, since the metal content has always been worth considerably more than the face value.

i've seen the commercials trying to get you to buy gold from them and they say stuff like "its the best investment you can make" and shit..

if it is...why are they selling it?

oh wait, they know its at the peak of its value.

From what I have heard...that coin is legal tender for $50...but the gold itself makes the coin worth ALOT more.

Not sure where I heard that though.

DMAUL said:
i've seen the commercials trying to get you to buy gold from them and they say stuff like "its the best investment you can make" and shit..

if it is...why are they selling it?

oh wait, they know its at the peak of its value.

Heh my thoughts exactly. Should have bought some back in 2000 when it cost about half as much... :)

Falconlight said:
I'm surprised that the U.S still mints non-token coins as currency :eek:
They do it because it makes them money. Gold and silver bars/tokens/what-have-you generally have little value above their metal content. A U.S. Eagle, like any other actual coin, will typically command higher value not only because of their face currency value, but because being government issue one can have high confidence that it contains the stated metal content.

LostDuck said:
From what I have heard...that coin is legal tender for $50...but the gold itself makes the coin worth ALOT more.

Not sure where I heard that though.
you heard that while you were slurping on my asshole

Gandalf said:
http://www.finfacts.com/Private/curency/goldmarketprice.htm

Down towards the bottom there is a nice display of gold values over the last 100+ years. Right now, the price of gold is the most it's ever been since 1987. So, right now isn't the time to buy. I'd wait until it hits 300 or so.
While it's certainly likely to decline if the U.S. economy is able to stave off depression for a while longer, I very much doubt it will get down to $300 again, short of another gold flood. Truth is the dollar has slid too much relative to other currencies for that to happen.

gold hasnt been a viable investment in ages... and usually the people screaming to buy gold are playing on old fears and assumptions.

avoid it, imo, unless you really intend to get your hands on a few million pounds to hide in a safe during the apocolypse.

otherwise, i'd wager you'd get more from a friggin checking account's interest.

It's funny how some people make off the wall predictions. "I wouldn't buy until 300$ blah blah"

Most likely, that person knows nothing about "the right time to buy".
Usually, when an investment opportunity reaches the likes of a majority of TW, then it may not be such a good opportunity after all.

Oh, and if you really want to buy into gold, I would suggest an investment other than coins. Like someone else said, purchase metals funds, company's, or possibly futures.

One major reason for gold's increase for the past 9 mo. has been world instability. Iraq, Iran, N. Korea, France's affairs, Katrina, ect, ect...

Here is an excerpt from http://gm.bankofny.com/includes/cmdispatch.asp?prod=mua_.pdf&viewDate=2/1/2006&file=2926 (.pdf)

"Today, however, we start with gold: as regular readers will be aware, we have been bullish on the yellow metal (and related currencies such as the CAD and ZAR) for some time now. And given just how aggressively it has rallied since last summer, it could be reasonably argued that it has almost become the key bellwether of investor sentiment. With this in mind therefore, we find the gold price’s technical patterns somewhat disconcerting. Specifically, we note three signals that suggest to us an increasingly mature uptrend. The first (and most simple) is that the price pattern since mid-December looks increasingly like a “rising wedge” (a pattern that often emerges at the end of trends). The second is the growing divergence between the price action and our favoured momentum indicator (a 14 day RSI). In other words, while we might be seeing higher highs on the price, we are also seeing a series of lower highs on our RSI. (As regular readers will be aware, we believe this is normally indicative of a change in trend). A third ‘signal’ is suggested by the latest CFTC data: although there have been some signs in recent weeks that positions have been scaled back slightly, speculative players nonetheless remain extremely long of gold. Taken together, we wonder whether these observations constitute a warning signal that the extraordinary bull market of the past six months or so may be about to draw to a close (or at least temporarily so). (SD)"

Last edited:
Back