Is the word 'ridiculous' difficult to spell for people?

I find it easy to spell, but I see it misspelt a lot.

I think the most commonly misspelled word is "harass" though.

"Embarrassing" is also a problem on this board.

ps3.jpg

Crom said:
i think most often people just type fast and dont care at all

or at least that is me

But most people type "ridiculous" as "rediculous". That's no quicker to type, it's simply an error.

Last edited:
English is a living language. Word spellings, connotations, and denotations are all in a state of slow, constant change. The dark powers of the internet seem to accelerate this phenomenon.

It would be rediculous to believe otherwise...just check it out down at your local libary, noob. ;)

Waidan said:
English is a living language. Word spellings, connotations, and denotations are all in a state of slow, constant change. The dark powers of the internet seem to accelerate this phenomenon.

It would be rediculous to believe otherwise...just check it out down at your local libary, noob. ;)

This is the excuse of every semi-educated bad speller on earth.

It may be a living language, but it also has rules and conventions. These rules and conventions are subject to change, but when they do change it is usually based upon published written usage, not on a critical mass of retards on internet message boards.

Waidan said:

it's "ridicule" not "redicule"

People spell all kinds of words wrong. I think it's about 50/50 poor spelling, poor/careless typing skills, if you ask me.

The excuse that "I wasn't paying attention so I misspelled something" doesn't really fly, unless it's an obvious typo like missing a letter, or substituting it with an adjacent one on the keyboard. Normally people use that excuse when they are just too ignorant to know how to spell something - for instance, the use of spellings like "rediculous" - b/c if you were just being lazy and 'typing fast' there is no way you would just throw an 'e' in there. If you feel that you have to stop and think about how to spell common words like that whilst typing in order to spell them correctly, a few vocabulary excersises would be most beneficial.

man, i love joining other people's rants. i really don't care about this issue at all.

ridiculous idioms + grammatical errors are my pet peeves, eg: "This game is addicting!!" and "I could care less."

edit: though, to show my humility, i will readily admit that I constantly spell "remember" as "remeber". this is not because i cannot spell remember, but simply b/c i am a jackass with no control of my fingers, it seems.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you differentiate between "published written usage", and people typing on the internet. No, the collective ramblings of tribalwar will never be released in hardback as part of a Time-Life literature series, but it's still written words made available for human consumption (for good or ill).

In any case, the truth I put forth isn't merely an "excuse", it's also reality. Mass-media has had a huge impact on our language, and the popularity and accessability of the internet has sparked a great deal of growth and change. Deal with it, mortal.

Last edited:
Back