ATTN: WEBSITE DEVELOPERS (I have a job offer for you)

cogzinofa

Veteran XV
Dumpy Dooby said:
We would like to have the site completed by October 25th, if possible. Terms, rate of pay, and everything else will be discussed in further detail once we decide on a person for the job. Expected pay will be BETWEEN $1500 and $2500 (So don't expect anything outside of those boundaries). If I'm pleased with your work, I may hire you on to do regular maintenance (otherwise, I'll do it myself).
:rofl:

4 weeks of development...$625 per week. :lol:

you're not going to get any takers who have any real skill. that's a redicuously low amount of money for the project and a fucking retarded expectation of a timeline.

I love how anytime anybody posts something about work on TW the first response is "OMG NOT ENOUGH MONIES.".

My current minimum wage job pays far less than that and it doesn't involve doing something I enjoy.

Dumpy Dooby said:
Umm.... you're a moron. What if the person is already working on a project? What if they have 3 projects to juggle at once? I'm not expecting this site to take 4 weeks to create you fucking douche. Why don't you actually try reading the contents of my post ... then you might see how this site would take 2-3 weeks (tops) to create. I can create this site in 3 weeks, and I'm a noob when it comes to server-side scripting. This is not a difficult project at all. Fuckin' dingleberry.

Cliffs: deadline != expected time to complete. It's a DEADLINE
um...no, you don't have a clue.

right here
# All appointments must be stored in a SQL database.
# Status for all repairs (even in-store) must be in the SQL database.
# Customers must be able to go online and check the status of their repair.
# Customers must be given the option to take a survey after their service is completed, and the results must be stored in the SQL database.
# Site will not have any products or pricing on it at the moment, but there must be room for expandability.
you ask for a database driven app that's exposed to both customers and internal administrators and technitions. and it sounds like you want this database to store job types and status which inevitably leads to inventory on specific jobs and job codes etc. because without those all you have a text area in which the tech types a status...which leads to no uniformity and confusion. I'd assume that in your desire for expandability you'd want a flexible interface which would allow the addition of new parts/job codes/services without an application rewrite. this demands a certain amount of flexibility on the part of the program itself.

basically you want a trouble ticket system, with integrated pricing as a future option, set up and installed for your company.

and then you want
We will require that the developer take on the responsibility of creating the site's artwork (all of the artwork will be owned and copyrighted by our company, however -- you MUST get permission from us to reuse the artwork on another project), with the exception of the company logo.
in my experience the art and design you can get from someone that can build you your database app is going to be ass compared to what you can get from someone that actually knows what they're doing WRT design and art production.

who gives a shit how many sections or pages it has if it's less than 20-40? the processing time for those, if the text is already produced, is less than a day. the hard part is (1) the site art design for a business site (important and graphic designers are the cheapest bunch of people to work with) and (2) tech design, coding, implimentation, and testing...which is not cheap.

it'll take you a week to nail down the requirements, a week to design the app, a couple weeks to code it, another week to test it (function, UAT, and load)...which you're not going to want to rush because customers are looking at this thing, maybe another week to fix the bugs. you're looking at a MINIMUM of 6 weeks, and even that is rushing things, and the developers who can do this can charge $30/hr (if they're wet behind the ears) to $60/hr if they actually know what they're doing.

at $30/hr you've blown your budget in two weeks.

if they have an app and a site they've been working on for a while and can easily customize to fit your environment and requirements, fine...but they'd also be working for much less than they could get from a real company.

Dumpy Dooby said:
I think you missed the part where I said I know how to do everything that I asked. It stands to reason that your post was completely pointless.

And for the record, I alreayd have the SQL database setup, along with the fundamentals of the site code itself. If the chosen person works with what I have, then I'm expecting this to take about 2 weeks.

Again, you're a moron. I didn't come here for your advice. I've been in the web-development business longer than most of the people here (I started my first Geoshities-esque site in 1996). Although, I'm rusty when it comes to server-side scripting, most things only take me a day or so to perfect.

That said, don't give me any advice. I don't need any. Thx.
:rofl: and I'm telling you you're fucking wrong. I've actually been paid for web development since 1997, been paid more than that for simpler tasks since tech went bust, and work with a substantially size WEB DEVELOPMENT TEAM, so stick a fork in it, fatty.

if it's so damn easy and will take you such a short time you should do it yourself and save the money.

:lol:

dumpy, you are willing to let TWers work remotely? I was on here a few weeks ago about a web development project. Simple site, all that was needed was some simple javascript. My boss decided to go with someone in the city so we could monitor their work. paid $60/hr, guy "worked" about 15 hrs, though I honestly think he did ~5-10hrs of actual work.

the point is that it's hard to manage people working remotely, and if they don't meet your deadline you're screwed. we had the guy in the office for all the hours he worked, and yet he still barely worked. I had to do a lot of the coding and simple html stuff just so we could make deadline. he had 3 weeks to put in those hours, he decided to come 2 nights after 5pm. i had to stay with him. in short, i hate him.

the better tw guys were asking for 60-80/hr, working remotely. good luck in ur search.

for the most part, if it's tech work (programming and such) the employee needs to either be remote, or a regular employee of *someone*. IRS started crackin' down on that whole 1099 non-employee compensation thing. if you're in someone's office and they're providing resources to you they generally have to pay you on w2; if you look like an employee and are treated like an employee you have to be paid like and employee...unless you're through a contract agency and being paid on w2 by that agency.

which is why independents will bill you $60 - $80/hr. they have to pay their own operational overhead, SS, medicare, etc. taxes.

Just to lay it out there, I can actually do everything from DB design to serverside programming to full interface design. I've worked on apple.com, hp.com, espn.com and many others. I have a degree in computer science with a concentration in human interface design and another degree in art and design with a concentration in digital art.

To do that project I'd charge around $80/hr and if it's in php/mySQL it wouldn't be worth my time because it would take 10x longer to make it secure and stable than the time frame you've given. To do an entire site to my standards I'd take at least a week just to get the design and interface nailed down, that doesn't include cutting the design into valid XHTML and then starting to build the backend. The backend is usually what takes the longest and with only a week to build all of that would be a joke.

Form driven programs take forever because as anyone in the business knows (and you sound like you are) forms are time consuming. You can spend a whole week on just one form getting all the fields to validate the data properly, align themselves, have proper event wire up and then maintain data integrity and security.

Good luck with your project tho. I hope you get it done :)

Dumpy Dooby said:
The job isn't worth more than $2500 at all.

Maybe it's just me, but I can get $3000 for a run of the mill basic site design and cut. And that's a low ball figure. Usually I charge around $5000 for a full site design and cut. For backend functionality I usually start at around 10,000 and go from there based on the type of software they want written and in what kind of time frame.

If you can do that kind of project for $2500, more power to you :) Although for $2500 I'd install a free CRM and build a form and call it done. Making anything else work with the prebuilt DB would only take longer.

i'm going to join in on the chorus of not enough money, not enough time. for a site with a feature list like that, you're running on a hell of a tight budget and a hell of a tight timeline.

Dumpy Dooby said:
The job isn't worth more than $2500 at all.

then you shouldn't have any trouble finding people to do it, and wouldn't need to resort to hiring off tribalwar dot com.

i definitely wouldn't do all that shit for $2500.

the other line of thought is that you're getting paid about $10,000 for it and are trying to load it off for 2.5

Well I wish you luck Dumpy, I don't doubt you know what you're doing (as I said before) just from the description and project timeline I'm not sure I'd get near this with a 10ft pole. :)

Back