Cigars

Brasstax

Contributor
Veteran XX
Ahhhhh. I have re-discovered the relaxation of smoking a nice cigar. I have made a couple of trips out to local cigar shops to check out their selections. I am thinking I need a humidor soon to go along with weekend poker games.

Life is good.

If only I could smoke them inside. :lol:

In the next house, I am thinking of making a poker/game room with an awesome extraction fan system.

cigarindex.jpg

cigar-selection-large.jpg

can someone tell me exactly how to smoke these things

I've tried a few but don't think I'm doing it the right way

JustinCase said:
can someone tell me exactly how to smoke these things

I've tried a few but don't think I'm doing it the right way

My advice is to get a mildly flavored sugar tip of some sort. Make sure it's not too little. About the size of a hot dog. You need to put a hole in the end. (If that's why you haven't been able to smoke one :lol:)

Anyway, use a wooden match (no wax / low sulphur) to light it. Take your time lighting it and turn it around and around so you get a nice even burn. Then, just take a nice big puff. Don't inhale it. Don't hold it like a cig. Hold it like a dart but use more fingers on it.

hardluck said:
meh they make my beer taste like shit.

you're not drinking the good beer with em :)

I personnaly don't really like dark/black beer usually. But try a Guiness Draft. Not the shit they sell in can which taste like water, ask the real stuff directly Draft and ask them to leave the big collar of *foam* (not sure if it's the appropriate word) it has. This taste like cream/caramel and should leave an awesome taste combined with the cigar.

Merranza said:
you're not drinking the good beer with em :)

I personnaly don't really like dark/black beer usually. But try a Guiness Draft. Not the shit they sell in can which taste like water, ask the real stuff directly Draft and ask them to leave the big collar of *foam* (not sure if it's the appropriate word) it has. This taste like cream/caramel and should leave an awesome taste combined with the cigar.

I've probably had every beer in the world with a cigar. I tell people the same thing and they always give me the same advice as you "Well try such and such beer!" And I do and it just tastes like shit. Guiness, Killians, Bud light (rofl...puke), Sierra, Blue Moon...ect. I've had people suggest everything under the sun.

I like the occaisonal cigar, but I have to have a rum and coke with it...or some sugary liquour drink.

you can poke a hole, cut, or just bite off the tip (usually they are perferated because a lot of people do bite off the tip). It just depends on how much "draw" you want when you suck on it. I have always been told by people at the cigar shops to let the ashe naturally fall off the end. Most people DO ashe their cigar, however. Most people smoke cigars too fast as well.

hardluck said:
I've probably had every beer in the world with a cigar. I tell people the same thing and they always give me the same advice as you "Well try such and such beer!" And I do and it just tastes like shit. Guiness, Killians, Bud light (rofl...puke), Sierra, Blue Moon...ect. I've had people suggest everything under the sun.

I like the occaisonal cigar, but I have to have a rum and coke with it...or some sugary liquour drink.

Agreed that Rum or whatever strong alcohol is better though. I was just suggesting my best in the beer department. (Please go kill that guy that suggested a Bud Light).

Might try to sweeten things up with some dark chocolate too, it's wonderful with rum.

I always used to smoke cigars at poker night, but I recently bought a tobacco pipe from a smoke shop and think that it's better than a cigar. If you haven't smoked a pipe before and like cigars, you should try it...it's incredibly smooth and relaxing :)

Rabid_Bear said:
I always used to smoke cigars at poker night, but I recently bought a tobacco pipe from a smoke shop and think that it's better than a cigar. If you haven't smoked a pipe before and like cigars, you should try it...it's incredibly smooth and relaxing :)

:bigthumb:

Make sure you spend the money on a decent humidor, its just easier maintenance in the long run.

A bad cigar will linger in your mouth more and make your beer taste like crap, but a good cigar with a well matched beer is easy enough to find. Any "hoppy" beer will get overpowered by a cigar, the hop taste profile just doesnt stand up well to cigars. Try a maltier beer with a medium body, medium strength cigar.

i just bought a box of aroma de cuba coronas; they got a 91 rating in cigar afficianado a couple months ago, and i am enjoying the fuck out of them.

and yes, pipes are very enjoyable as well. i bought a larsen about 2 years ago and it's been a fantastic purchase. i usually smoke very mellow tabacco; for me it's much more about the aroma after the smoke, and not during like a cigar.

pipe.JPG

I smoked an Ashton Heritage Puro Sol Double Corona. Nice. You need half a day though. Even the Churchill is a beast. The corona is nice but I think I like the bigger ones because they have more filler tobacco. Damn that Ashton was good. I found a website where you can buy the Ashton HPS churchills for $8 each in a box of 25. That's not too bad. The double coronas are just under $10 apiece at the same site. 25 of those bitches would take a year to smoke. I need a good humidor.

the proper way to smoke a cigar:

take knife or thumb nail and split cigar down the middle
remove tabacco
fill with marijuana
roll it up
enjoy your cigar

Brasstax said:
I smoked an Ashton Heritage Puro Sol Double Corona. Nice. You need half a day though. Even the Churchill is a beast. The corona is nice but I think I like the bigger ones because they have more filler tobacco. Damn that Ashton was good. I found a website where you can buy the Ashton HPS churchills for $8 each in a box of 25. That's not too bad. The double coronas are just under $10 apiece at the same site. 25 of those bitches would take a year to smoke. I need a good humidor.

I've had a few, it was supposed to be the next VSG but it doesnt compare. I am going to a tasting hosted by my Ashton rep(obviously) in a couple of weeks. Might be time to give this cigar another shot.

Corvus said:
I've had a few, it was supposed to be the next VSG but it doesnt compare. I am going to a tasting hosted by my Ashton rep(obviously) in a couple of weeks. Might be time to give this cigar another shot.

I'll have to try a VSG. I bet the Heritage is milder. It was almost too mild. I can see liking both. It's hard to get a shitty Ashton.

Back