Skydiver hit by plane while jumping

gabe

Veteran X
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/24/skydiver.killed.ap/index.html

Skydiver hits a plane and dies

Sunday, April 24, 2005 Posted: 5:27 PM EDT (2127 GMT)

DELAND, Florida (AP) -- A skydiver lost both his legs when he struck the wing of a plane as he came down and later died from his injuries, officials said.

Cinematographer Albert "Gus" Wing III had already opened his parachute when he hit the plane that he had jumped from Saturday morning over an airport in DeLand, central Florida, police said. His legs were severed at the knees.

He was taken to a hospital, where he later died.

Fourteen other skydivers were in the air at the time of the accident, Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Holly Baker said. The FAA and National Transportation Safety Board were investigating.

Mike Johnston, general manager of Skydive DeLand, said the accident was not common.

"There are about 15 million jumps every year," Johnston told The Daytona Beach News-Journal. "I only know of one other case where a sky diver was struck by an airplane."

..... how did he get hit by the airplane that he jumped out of? i could see another airplane as a freak accident, but wtfm was the skydive plane chasing them down or something?

Geck0 said:
prolly bled out on the way down.
this would just be a horrible death. nothing you could fucking do and your blood would be splattering out all over. fuck.

Doaln said:
..... how did he get hit by the airplane that he jumped out of? i could see another airplane as a freak accident, but wtfm was the skydive plane chasing them down or something?

that does seem strange, but a plane goes way faster than a guy floating in a parachute

Planes land before jumpers get to the ground all the time. The first time I jumped the plane passed right under me.

(several hundred feet in difference)

Vulcan said:
does it say the plane he jumped from?
yes, it does.

and yes, i know planes go down faster than people, but why the fuck would the plane be going down in the area where they let the people jump down?

Vulcan said:
this would just be a horrible death. nothing you could fucking do and your blood would be splattering out all over. fuck.

i'm sure you would pass out from shock

Doaln said:
yes, it does.

and yes, i know planes go down faster than people, but why the fuck would the plane be going down in the area where they let the people jump down?

The drop zones are normally just a couple hundred yards away from the runway (it was in this case and in other places I have gone to.) Where you board the plane is just a football field or two from where you land.

You float above the runway and it was a passing concern to me :lol: :(

Cinematographer Albert "Gus" Wing III had already opened his parachute when he hit the plane that he had jumped from Saturday morning over an airport in DeLand, central Florida, police said. His legs were severed at the knees.

I'm guessing that the plane turned around to land or whatever and hit him. That, or the pilot was a soccer mom.

I was going to post a screenshot of Race getting hit by the plane in that venture brothers episode, but cartoon-fridge is gone. :/

That really fucking sucks, what a horrible way to go out, poor guy. He was a highly experienced skydiver. Really sucks that they didn't see each other.

I would rather go splat into the ground than that :\

Back