[SO] I got a new puppy

JustinCase

Contributor
Veteran XX
no pics yet

My mom calls me and said she knew someone giving away black lab puppies for free (papers and all). It's a male that's about 2 months old I believe. My last black lab died from joint cancer about 3 months ago :( It's a problem that's common in black labs so hopefully this new one doesn't have the same problem.

Is there a good website or a good book anyone can recommend for basic puppy traning. I want to really train this one right and hopefully can advance him into a hunting dog.

pics will be provided when I get home tomorrow

here's one to hold you over

steffi001.JPG

JustinCase said:
god forbid I get a dog that I like and serves a purpose to me
it's just like going to a 5 star japanese resteraunt and ordering a cheeseburger is all

but it's your dog, glad you're happy.

JustinCase said:
god forbid I get a dog that I like and serves a purpose to me
no, you must get a dog that is acceptable to TW. Throw this one away and get a new one

Nice Dog. I'd recommend getting him real comfortable with your voice. When your upset, happy, excited, sad show him through your voice and specific gestures. I usually talk to my dogs alot when they are pups this way they recognize me and they will understand you alot better when trying to teach them commands.

In one to two hours I taught my puppy to sit on command.

Its alot of work to teach them, so perhaps getting lessons for a few weeks will be helpfull for you!
Have fun!

I think I can train him with the basic commands it's teaching him to retrieve and hunt with me that I think is going to be hard

anyone here ever done this?

I haven't seen him yet, my mom and brother are picking him up tonight and sending pics

I hope he looks just like that one

Iason said:
it's just like going to a 5 star japanese resteraunt and ordering a cheeseburger is all

that analogy doesn't make any sense. its not like he went to this amazing dog store where you can get a dog that will go to class for you and wipe your ass and got a normal dog instead.

NoGodForMe said:
Here's my yellow lab, trained by a professional for 2k, first on leash commands, then off leash with a collar. The trainer part comes in at 6 months.
It was worth the money, she's the best. Yes, you can train on your own, but you'll have to spend some time doing it. The trainer from a vet is better if you have the money.
http://www.nogodforme.com/destiny.htm
http://www.nogodforme.com/destiny2005.htm
nice looking dog

I don't really have 2k to drop on dog training and I wouldn't want to send my dog off to live with someone else

I have plenty of free time I can spend learning how to train him, just need a good book or website

Iason said:
he didn't go to a professional kennel with 10 thousand dollars.

he got a free dog like the kind of dog he had before. i fail to realize how that is like going out to the creme de la creme of restaurants and ordering a cheeseburger in any aspect.

shut the fuck up.

Back