Silent Hunter III

Baub

Contributor
Veteran XX
Anyone else get this game? What I've played of it so far is pretty cool, but I didnt have a lot of time last night to get much past the tutorial. The graphics look pretty badass and I love that you can watch the ships you hit sink with the camera view thing. From what I've seen so far, the game is awesome.

Has anyone gotten the game and have more input? I'm curious if anyone has tried the multiplayer out yet.

I've looked forward to it for well over a year.
Then I found out last month that Ubi brilliantly decided to add Starforce to it.

Yeah, the starforce thing is pretty gay, but the game just looked too cool not to try. It's got a really good interface from what little I've played. I'm anxious to get more time to play and get into some real missions. Makes me think back to the old Silent Service on C-64 days...

AirGibson said:
I'm interested. Been wanting a new sub game for awhile.
Dangerous Waters is pretty awesome. Considerably more modern than SH3, but very cool nonetheless.

I'll be waiting until somebody figures out a way to gut Starforce from SH3 before giving it a go. It's pretty ridiculous that publishers are at the point where they force people to pirate games that they actually pay for.

The game is fucking amazing. I picked it up last night. I would have to say it is the most immersive game ever created in the history of ever.

You are missing out Kura.

Kerosene31 said:
Ugh, too bad this game is published by UBI. That is enough to keep me from buying it.
Uh...
Ubi is one of the few reasonably sized publishers left out there deserving of any respect. They're a fuck of a lot better than EA.

This Starforce shit, though...

Killjoy- said:
The game is fucking amazing. I picked it up last night. I would have to say it is the most immersive game ever created in the history of ever.

You are missing out Kura.
I'll get it once it's cracked. I mean that I'll actually buy it, then I'll download it so that I can play it in good conscience.

According to all the msg boards, the game doesn't work on any nVidia cards either.

This on top of adding some sort of crazy copy protection as well.

This is why I don't touch UBI games. I learned my lesson from Raven Shield.

Kurayami said:
Uh...
Ubi is one of the few reasonably sized publishers left out there deserving of any respect. They're a fuck of a lot better than EA.

You must have not played Raven Shield. They kept putting out patches and with most of them they left the dev tools in making multiplayer mode useless. Then they take 8 months to compile those tools out. Absolutely unacceptible.

There is a bug in the Nvidia drivers yes, it may be best to wait for a patch if you arent a die hard. The bug can be worked around ATM. As far as starforce, i think you will see more games using it in the future, it is invasive but it is effective.

Kerosene31 said:
According to all the msg boards, the game doesn't work on any nVidia cards either.

This on top of adding some sort of crazy copy protection as well.

This is why I don't touch UBI games. I learned my lesson from Raven Shield.

Works fine on my FX5200

And I havent seen any problems from the starforce install yet.

Last edited:
Kerosene31 said:
You must be reading completely different boards.

Kerosene31 said:
You must have not played Raven Shield. They kept putting out patches and with most of them they left the dev tools in making multiplayer mode useless. Then they take 8 months to compile those tools out. Absolutely unacceptible.
You do realize that Ubisoft is a publisher, right? You know that means that nobody at Ubi wrote a single line of code pertaining to Raven Shield, its patches, or its tools, correct?

Kurayami said:
You must be reading completely different boards.

You do realize that Ubisoft is a publisher, right? You know that means that nobody at Ubi wrote a single line of code pertaining to Raven Shield, its patches, or its tools, correct?

Well the Subsim boards and review seem to consider this game the 2nd coming, while the official boards make it out like it shouldn't have been released. Not sure who to believe (prolly somewhere in the middle)

Yes, I am aware of how game publishing works. As the publisher of a game, the company should have an active interest in seeing that huge, yet simple to fix bugs get taken care of in a timely manner. It should not take 8 months to comment out the dev tools and re-compile.

One thing that sounds confusing is that they implemented a dynamic campaign that I assume allows you to go all over the map yet they didn’t implement supplying your ship at sea, you have to continuously return to port to get more fuel and ammo?

They also left out multiple subs attacking along side you “wolfpacks”, this to me sounds like being in a WWII flight sim without wingmen, kind of lame but maybe not as noticeable and gives the game more of a dos boat feel.

The immersive qualities look really good, watching the videos on their sight looks like quite a bit of attention to little details graphically were made, even though it's resolution locked at 1024x768 it looks impressive.

There was a 1.1 patch released today, in the readme notes there's mention of a downloadable version of SHIII that you can buy - probably direct-to-drive type of thing, I wonder if it has SF protection too, I bet it does.

http://www.silenthunteriii.com/uk/updates.php

Back