Arcades... Where the fuck has the innovation gone?

AkumA

Contributor
Veteran XX
That is the only way the arcade can ever make a comeback.

They units with lets say 200 games per unit. It should search for a good connection and you play. Streetfighter, MK etc. You can also have the option to play with no internet if you choose.

How about a massive brawler like powerstone in an immersive interactive type world. The game randomly evens the teams if they aren’t fair and you play in interactive immersive environments.

They can have ddr with webcams and dance offs so you compare the score of someone playing that same song that same minute. (i hate ddr)

Racing games, etc

Arcades or business like places can afford a t1+ and if emulators can do network play, arcades can do it on a more interactive fun scale that we have yet to experience.... Virtual reality maybe?

Its just sad that arcades are dead, and innovation is too

AkumA said:
How about a massive brawler like powerstone in an emersive interactive type world. The game randomally evens the teams if they arent fair and you play in interactive emersive enviorments.
Sounds like the makings of korean-cybercafe-like 72 hour grind sessions where kids have to be taken out on stretchers and/or in body bags.

Why drive to an arcade an pay $1 or more per play for some rehashed games that can't compare to the "free" games on your pc.

Yeah and have to deal with all the tick turds crowding around- OF course if anyone cheats you can beat their ass there.

cause before u went to arcades because the games looked and played so much better

now technology caught up (actually it did a long time ago) so now you get games at home that look better than arcade

but xbox 2 and ps3 cant touch a pinball machine

The problem with innovation is that, for the most part, fighting games have thrived because of their simplicity of interface, with all the depth coming from learning how to use such simple tools in weird and powerful ways (hitting people in the back of the head with the retreating leg in Ken's jumping MK, running behind a Sonic Boom while charging for another one with Guile's b + LK knee, forcing the opponent to block with Zangief's light punches and then executing an unblockable SPD).

Even these simplest of tools have been hard to balance. In some fighting games, the simplest system differences have made certain characters VASTLY more powerful than other characters in certain fighting games. The addition of walled stages to Tekken (which was, perhaps, much less well-conceived than the addition of walls to Virtua Fighter) has made matches more interesting, but at the same time it's also made certain matchups even nastier for certain characters. Characters with fast, safe attacks like Steve and Nina can ride characters with more limited repertoires like Christie and Marduk to the walls with a single combo, and the threat of making the wrong move on get-up and getting slammed into the wall while trying to escape makes Tekken's already nasty wakeup game even more of a high-stakes venture.

It's like the difference between Tribes 1 and Tribes 2. In Tribes 1, once everybody learned how to ski, the scout became extremely underpowered and the APCs became a complete joke. To compensate, they toned down skiing in T2, but that wasn't nearly as significant as the fact that they toned up the turrets and really, REALLY toned up the vehicles. The T2 devs had hoped to level the playing field between offense and defense, but instead succeeded in creating a huge turtle-fest to replace an extremely unforgiving rushfest.

The more stuff you add to an already great game system, the more of an audience you stand to attract, but you also run a greater risk of creating new balance issues.

Besides, it's not nearly so much the fault of the games in arcades as it is the modern arcade business. Even if most arcades were intelligently operated (which they're not, the big chains are basically holes in the wall these days except for the elite pockets where hardcore gamers still gather), they couldn't compete with the ease-of-access of Internet games and LAN centers.

That wouldn't be a problem with me, except for the fact that (1) fighting games fare terribly on the Internet, because lag makes all the command buffering and split-second reactions that seperate good players from losers in live play useless, and (2) because of that fact, they're vastly underrepresented compared to FPSes in terms of online and LAN play. It's a lot harder to find people willing to play you at these games (besides Soul Calibur 2 and any Tekken game), let alone skilled ones. A lot of these games are almost as newbie-unfriendly as T1, and just like weeding through newbies whining about "Skiing is cheap!", you have to weed through legions of morons who go "Throws are cheap!" "Stop hitting me in the air, you faggot!" and other such idiocies before you find the really appreciable players.

Last edited:
There was this 3d lan fighting game sega was going to release. I saw the first screenshots on "Next Generation" It was so sweet.. Anyone know what the fuck im talking about?

AkumA said:
That is the only way the arcade can ever make a comeback.

They units with lets say 200 games per unit. It should search for a good connection and you play. Streetfighter, MK etc. You can also have the option to play with no internet if you choose.

How about a massive brawler like powerstone in an immersive interactive type world. The game randomly evens the teams if they aren’t fair and you play in interactive immersive environments.

They can have ddr with webcams and dance offs so you compare the score of someone playing that same song that same minute. (i hate ddr)

Racing games, etc

Arcades or business like places can afford a t1+ and if emulators can do network play, arcades can do it on a more interactive fun scale that we have yet to experience.... Virtual reality maybe?

Its just sad that arcades are dead, and innovation is too
This is all wrong. Let's put aside the grammar, and the fact that i suspect you're drunk. If you own an arcade, first of all, you have two options.
1. Buy the games. Buy a game for $12k, and pay a guy $60/hr to fix it when it breaks. To upgrade it, you pay on average $3k. When it comes time to unload the game, you sell it for maybe $2500 if you're lucky. By the time you're through, you may have $20k invested in a machine, and get $2500 back out of it, and not have shit to show for it in revenue. Popularity of a game can shift or deminish in a matter of 2 months easily.
2. Have someone else supply your games. They are responsible for maintenance, but you lose 50% of the revenue from that game to the owner of the machine. Not to mention the task of getting them to buy that particular game in the first place.

The only way an arcade stands to make a boatload is if it's at fucking Disney World or something. My arcades did very well, trafficwise, etc. I was able to pay myself $1500 per weeks and still pad the arcades' savings accounts without a problem, but it's not a huge money proposition.

Back