Hubble space telescope servicing mission in jeopardy....

mrkshammerhand

Veteran XX
the dirty bastards.......

White House Cuts Hubble Servicing Mission from 2006 Budget Request
By Brian Berger
Space News Staff Writer
posted: 21 January 2005
01:49 pm ET

WASHINGTON – The White House has eliminated funding for a mission to service the Hubble Space Telescope from its 2006 budget request and directed NASA to focus solely on de-orbiting the popular spacecraft at the end of its life, according to government and industry sources.

NASA is debating when and how to announce the change of plans. Sources told Space News that outgoing NASA Administrator Sean O’Keefe likely will make the announcement Feb. 7 during the public presentation of the U.S. space agency’s 2006 budget request.

That budget request, according to government and industry sources, will not include any money for Hubble servicing but will include some money for a mission to attach a propulsion module to Hubble needed to safely de-orbit the spacecraft with a controlled re-entry into the Pacific Ocean. NASA would not need to launch such a mission before the end of the decade to guide the massive telescope safely into the ocean.

Sources said O’Keefe received his marching orders on Hubble Jan. 13 during a meeting with White House officials to finalize the agency’s 2006 budget request. With both robotic and shuttle-based servicing options expected to cost well in excess of $1 billion, sources said, NASA was told it simply could not afford to save Hubble given everything else NASA has on its agenda, including preparing the shuttle fleet to fly again.

NASA has not yet informed key congressional committees with jurisdiction over the space agency. But congressional sources told Space News they had been hearing since late last week that significant changes were afoot for Hubble.

These same sources, however, said they had not ruled out that the White House and NASA might be canceling the Hubble servicing mission as the opening gambit in the annual struggle that goes on every budget year, fully expecting that Congress will add money to the agency’s budget over the course of the year to pay for a mission that has strong public support.

Regardless of NASA’s intent, one Senate source predicted that the decision would “go over like a lead balloon” for many lawmakers. A House source concurred. “It’s going to really upset the Hubble crowd and that includes some members of Congress,” the House source said.

In December, after the National Academy of Sciences issued a report calling on NASA to reinstate a space shuttle mission to refurbish Hubble, Congress followed up by directing NASA to spend $291 million this year preparing for some type of Hubble Servicing mission. NASA’s initial operating plan for 2005, sent to Congress late last year for its review, only set aside $175 million of that amount for Hubble, with the rest of the money allocated to other agency priorities.

not really a surprise, hubble is becoming more and more expensive to maintain, and has already outlived its expected life. It'd be more cheaper to put up a newer satellite, and eventually one on the moon.

We need to get a new telescope up there, go to the moon and Mars asap. I wonder why our government isn't using missions like that to further our reputation.

The new telescope is already in the works, but the fact that we will be without one for several years is a major scientific tragedy.

I'm sure it's not Bush's fault.

We already have second generation space telescopes up and third generation with 10x the quality of hubble coming. It's time to put this old bird to sleep, like they've been planning on for a while now.

The thing is all the new parts for hubble have already been made. They are sitting in some clean room somewhere not collectting dust. errr anyway you get my point.

That budget request, according to government and industry sources, will not include any money for Hubble servicing but will include some money for a mission to attach a propulsion module to Hubble needed to safely de-orbit the spacecraft with a controlled re-entry into the Pacific Ocean.
if they are going to service the telescope so it can safly de-orbit why cant they install the new parts at the same time and let it run its course for the next couple of years before they dump it? Of course it will cost extra money, but look at how much money we will be just throwing away if we dont.

and just so everyone knows, these knew more powerfull telescopes, while yes they will be more usefull from a scientific standpoint they arent based on the visual light spectrum so we wont get anymore breathtaking pictures.

Durak said:
We already have second generation space telescopes up and third generation with 10x the quality of hubble coming. It's time to put this old bird to sleep, like they've been planning on for a while now.

They were planning to keep it functioning until 2011 when the Webb telescope will be launched. Astronomy will only be crippled for 6 years, no biggie, it's not like discoveries are occurring at a fast pace or anything. :ftard:

good news though, if taco bell catches it this time when they bring it back we all get free tacos :)

Tax refunds for the entire country? Check
Two war fronts? Check

Hey uh guys? We don't have any more money. We don't need that fancy scientific thing up there in the sky any more right? Btw we need more money for another war we have planned for Iran. Kthxbye.

F Bush.

SaintDude said:
Tax refunds for the entire country? Check
Two war fronts? Check

Hey uh guys? We don't have any more money. We don't need that fancy scientific thing up there in the sky any more right? Btw we need more money for another war we have planned for Iran. Kthxbye.

F Bush.

considering bush was the one pushing for mars, hubble is OFN and a collectors item

Lets go to mars! With what money though? OH WAIT, WE DON'T HAVE ANYMORE. Oh wait! Lets just keep spending MORE money we don't fucking have.

sLoGg said:
considering bush was the one pushing for mars, hubble is OFN and a collectors item

So basically, you have no fucking clue what you are talking about. Hubble is redefining astronomy daily. Bush is not "pushing for Mars." The election is over, remember?

sLoGg said:

I don't know. At least according to my physics professors (3 of them), its somewhat pointless to put humans on Mars since it is litterally millions of folds more expensive than deep space research and not nearly as much can come of landing someone on Mars that probobly won't come back.

I would say that Mars is more of a political manuver than it is a scientific.

Automatic Jack said:
They were planning to keep it functioning until 2011 when the Webb telescope will be launched. Astronomy will only be crippled for 6 years, no biggie, it's not like discoveries are occurring at a fast pace or anything. :ftard:

I think you missed the part where I said that we already have better telescopes in orbit

i never understood the need to take pictures of things millions of light years away, or the point of putting someone on some planet that has absolutely no life and absolutely nothing to see except rocks and dust.

how about solving the problems on earth before trying to play the space explorers.

sure, scientific progress is nice, and needed, but at what price? those billions spent on it seems like alot :\

people trying to make this a political thing are retarded. what, you think kerry or clinton would have done this? bush has increased the budget for nasa. if they have better things to spend it on, like, i dunno, fixing the space shuttle, so be it.

Durak said:
I think you missed the part where I said that we already have better telescopes in orbit

Better is a relative word. Hubble is the best visual spectrum telescope up there right now. The others, while more scientifically useful don't send us pretty pictures.

I have no problem getting rid of the Hubble, it doesn't need to be up there any more, its served its purpose and should be retired. However, anyone who thinks that Bush really is for scientific research is a moron.

|vm| said:
i never understood the need to take pictures of things millions of light years away, or the point of putting someone on some planet that has absolutely no life and absolutely nothing to see except rocks and dust.

how about solving the problems on earth before trying to play the space explorers.

sure, scientific progress is nice, and needed, but at what price? those billions spent on it seems like alot :\

boy have you missed the whole point of hubble

Back