"At IBM, That Google Thing Is So Yesterday"

Pachacutec

Veteran X
IBM researchers are developing what they call the third generation in search technology that will search according to the underlying meaning, and not simply by keywords, page rank, or other peripheral indicators. IBM plans to employ natural language processing for "discovery systems" that can search through files no matter whether they are structured as Web documents, databases, images, video, or audio. Although search technology has advanced significantly in just the past several months, especially with Google committed to new features and products every few weeks, the inherent limitations of Google-style search are apparent when trying to answer nuanced questions: For instance, though most Web searches are proficient in finding Mozart's birthplace, trying to find out how many Web pages are published in each language requires some extra effort on the part of the user. IBM researchers recently showed off their developing technologies at the Thomas J. Watson Research Center, including a system called Piquant that was able to answer questions from an article, even though the answers were not phrased exactly within the article. Piquant analyzed the semantic structure to answer "Who is Canada's prime minister?" even though those exact words were not used in the text. The Semantic Analysis Workbench automatically translates data to reveal useful patterns, and the researchers gave several examples to show how this would be useful. Customer service centers could analyze customer service notes to identify trends or problems, genomic research could benefit from unexpected correlations, and terrorist plots could be uncovered through the analysis of suspect telephone calls. Another technology would work in a manner similar to Google News, but return only headlines from non-English publications and provide a rough English translation upon request.

reg required : http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/26/business/yourmoney/26techno.html

OH, OHHHH, what my password and login weren't good enough you just had to go and copy the whole article?!? I can see this thread doesn't need me.

everyone get the BugMeNot Firefox extension, www.bugmenot.com

right click on any user/password combo login box, and it will attempt to fill them in. got into this site, and will get you into loads ("44828 sites liberated") sites for free

saves money :D

not to be a geek about it, but i'm guessing it functions something like this:

1.start with a set of predefined languages from which to derive meaning

2.generate probabilities of context and meanings based on strict to loose
grammatical constructs for that language (kings english to ebonix and finally texan)

3.classify the piece of content according to its probability of relevancy and those terms which contain a threshold of meaning. (this article is "tribes vengeance" enough to create an entry and index)

before this happens, some type of filter to render the file type as a common document type probably happens...

They need to make image searching, upload an image then break it down to identify persons/places/objects and then identify/search for those objects.

thats exceedingly difficult because of how the person is standing, wind, light etc etc

nigh on impossible for a while yet...

IzoD said:
how does this work .. i downloaded/installed the extension but what next? ;p
Update, and then right click in the "username" thing. It automagically fills it in.

right click on any username/login combo - two boxes where you enter your username and password, and click on "BugMeNot"

it will try and fill it in

haha just tried BugMeNot on TW, and theres 4 accounts, 3 of which dont work any more. one of them is... Bodom! for some reason.

the one that does login is still being actvitly used i think, or is banned from forums. so i went to home and saw this article:

One of SS:2845's concept artists, dragonspit, has agreed to a live interview with IVIaedhros this Thursday at 8:30pm Central. What makes this one special is it's not just IVIaedhros doing the interviewing; anyone may ask questions.

just so happens the working account is his - IVIaedhros

:roller:

Back