Suggest a book thread, #45187

Finski

Came, Shat, & Conquered++
Veteran X
I'm wanting to read a new book, and I can't think of one. I just finished Catch-22 and would like to read something similar, not necessarily a military book, but an important piece of literature that everyone should read. Something fairly recent, too. I struggled like a bastard to get all the way through Dante's Inferno, don't want to go that route again.

It can be fiction or non-fiction, I don't care, ad long as it's the type of book that will draw you in and keep you reading. Also, no Tom Clancy-type shit. I would like something thought provoking.

Thanks.

9/11 Commission Report? It's actually very informative, well written, and not boring like you'd expect it to be (at least not yet, im at page 80 something.) Plus afterwards you will know way more about 9/11, terrorism, and counterterrorism than most people

Im reading the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy trilogy(which is actually like 5 books or something) for the first time and this shit is funny.

the Carlos Castaneda series is pretty cool. checkout The Teaching of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge by Carlos Castaneda.

Wouldn't mind a suggestion myself.

I'm currently re-reading the lord of the rings trilogy (because I didn't know what to get). I've read the wheel of time series, and also the drizzt series in the forgotten realms.

What is a good solid fantasy read that isn't too dry. I know about George RR Martin, but it seems a bit dry and maybe not fantasy enough.

I'm also a big Michael Chricton fan, did anyone read Prey? I may pick that up as well

Wittgenstein's Poker, about the clash between Karl Popper and Ludwig Wittgenstein.

These two philosophers never met each other except for ten minutes while Popper was visiting Wittgensteins campus. It was the only time Bertrand Russell, Wittgenstein, and Popper were ever together and no one can figure out what happened that made these guys almost come to blows.

how was catch 22, im on like the 7th chapter and it seems kind of slow
i would suggest anything by chuck palahniuk, or a clockwork orange, or maybe 1984 by george orwell (i guess its good i didnt real it yet)

Finski said:
I'm not familiar with this one...who wrote it, and overview?

Stephen Chbosky. It is the inspiration for the book I'm currently writing.

Amazon.com review:

What is most notable about this funny, touching, memorable first novel from Stephen Chbosky is the resounding accuracy with which the author captures the voice of a boy teetering on the brink of adulthood. Charlie is a freshman. And while's he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. He's a wallflower--shy and introspective, and intelligent beyond his years, if not very savvy in the social arts. We learn about Charlie through the letters he writes to someone of undisclosed name, age, and gender, a stylistic technique that adds to the heart-wrenching earnestness saturating this teen's story. Charlie encounters the same struggles that many kids face in high school--how to make friends, the intensity of a crush, family tensions, a first relationship, exploring sexuality, experimenting with drugs--but he must also deal with his best friend's recent suicide. Charlie's letters take on the intimate feel of a journal as he shares his day-to-day thoughts and feelings:

I walk around the school hallways and look at the people. I look at the teachers and wonder why they're here. If they like their jobs. Or us. And I wonder how smart they were when they were fifteen. Not in a mean way. In a curious way. It's like looking at all the students and wondering who's had their heart broken that day, and how they are able to cope with having three quizzes and a book report due on top of that. Or wondering who did the heart breaking. And wondering why.
With the help of a teacher who recognizes his wisdom and intuition, and his two friends, seniors Samantha and Patrick, Charlie mostly manages to avoid the depression he feels creeping up like kudzu. When it all becomes too much, after a shocking realization about his beloved late Aunt Helen, Charlie retreats from reality for awhile. But he makes it back in due time, ready to face his sophomore year and all that it may bring. Charlie, sincerely searching for that feeling of "being infinite," is a kindred spirit to the generation that's been slapped with the label X. --Brangien Davis

From Publishers Weekly
A trite coming-of-age novel that could easily appeal to a YA readership, filmmaker Chbosky's debut broadcasts its intentions with the publisher's announcement that ads will run on MTV. Charlie, the wallflower of the title, goes through a veritable bath of bathos in his 10th grade year, 1991. The novel is formatted as a series of letters to an unnamed "friend," the first of which reveals the suicide of Charlie's pal Michael. Charlie's response?valid enough?is to cry. The crying soon gets out of... read more

ThePatient said:
how was catch 22, im on like the 7th chapter and it seems kind of slow
i would suggest anything by chuck palahniuk, or a clockwork orange, or maybe 1984 by george orwell (i guess its good i didnt real it yet)
chuck p. is the shit

catch 22 was fucking awsome. i loved it.

try house of leaves

CMVDA, sounds a little Cather in the Rye-esque, might have to check that one out.

ThePatient, Catch-22 is a great book, you should finish it. I've already read 1984, btw. Another good one there.

<EDIT> I keep hearing about the Davinci Code...is it really that good, or just over-hyped?

I second Ender's Game.
Grabs one's attention very effectively. And it will get you thinking, especially the sequels.

my brother said the davinci code was good. which probably means i sucked, but i dunno. it sounds like i could be good

Back