Man falls from tree killing wife with Chainsaw

NutButter

Veteran XX
Poor British Bastard

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- A British man was being treated for shock on Wednesday after he fell from a ladder while pruning trees, accidentally killing his wife with his chainsaw, police said.

The 56-year-old man, who has not been named, was cutting back tree branches at his home in southeast London on Monday when he tumbled backwards from the ladder.

The running chainsaw crashed down onto the neck of his wife, who was working in the garden below him.

"The woman was killed instantly, although she was not decapitated," police said in a statement. "Her husband was taken to hospital. He is still being treated for shock."

A police spokesman said the incident was being treated as a "tragic accident."

Hmm, My husband is cutting braches from the tree directly above me with a chainsaw.
I know, I'll work right underneath him in the garden! Brilliant!

ZombieAFO said:
Hmm, My husband is cutting braches from the tree directly above me with a chainsaw.
I know, I'll work right underneath him in the garden! Brilliant!

You gotta remeber Z they are British! He could have fallen from the tree and killer her with his jagged teeth!

Well if she was killed 'instantly' I guess it was the impact and not the saw that did it.

Fool said:
Well if she was killed 'instantly' I guess it was the impact and not the saw that did it.

I would think that too because normally tools like that have safety buttons/levers/etc that require something to be held down to keep running (lawn mower...etc.)

But who knows...maybe the guy was still holding onto it outa panic when he fell backward.

Either way, the whole thing is tragic. Poor guy.

They always lie and say it was instant. My paramedic buddy says they lie and say it was instant to comfort the victims family and friends.

KellyMonaco said:
ok, no one else found it funny he fell out of a tree and hit her with a chainsaw?

I did, but the Scott Peterson reference has been made already.

She's dead either way, and either way, it's tragic.

I've almost fallen doing the exact thing.
A chain saw is heavy, and a ladder only goes up so high when trying to trim a tree. So I'd get as high as I could on the ladder, then hold the saw with one hand and cut. There is always one more branch just out of reach you want to cut. He probably slipped, fell backwards, and his finger was on the trigger. The natural reaction would be to grip the saw while falling.

Last edited:
NoGodForMe said:
I've almost fallen doing the exact thing.
A chain saw is heavy, and a ladder only goes up so high when trying to trim a tree. So I'd get as high as I could on the ladder, then hold the saw with one hand and cut. There is always one more branch just out of reach you want to cut.

Am I right in thinking there is a safety feature on chainsaws?

(I never owned one)

Back