Sportscenter: American Basketball players are pussies

Respice

Veteran X
They ran a story tonight about how all the American born NBA players are too sally assed to go to Athens to play in the olympics for their country. Mostly because they're afraid of a terrorist attack or something else along those lines.

They spend a few minutes naming names and weak ass excuses then compare them to the european players who would proudly play for their country and ultimately it leads to Pat Tillman sacking up and heading to war. The entire story was rich with overtones that the NBA players are unpatriotic selfish fuckwads. Good call SC

Other than winning the gold, why even go.

You risk yourself to possible injury, there is a huge amount of time put into it, and some shittier player can go in your place and win it with ease anyways. PLus most of the big names already have a gold :]

NBA players are not unpatriotic selfish fuckwads, they are unpatriotic rich selfish fuckwads.

all the new guys grew up with the idea that America was by far the greatest basketball country in the world. now they have little reason to go and prove it every 4 years, especially with the security in athens at the moment.

don't get me wrong, i'd love to see another dream team with kobe, shaq, tmac, garnett, and all the other greats, but i definately don't blame any of them for not wanting to go this year. it wouldnt have the same effect that the original dream team did anyway. nothing will ever compare to dream team I.

this is what's sad.

Most people think, meh, it's basketball and we just own everyone anyway, and we've got the gold before and blah blah. Does any athlete in any other sport from any other country think this way when it comes to the olympics? No. Do NBA players think this way when it comes to the NBA championship? No. Most athletes would die for a chance to represent their country in olympics.

Sportscenter was making a point. It means very little to most NBA basketball players to represent their country in the olympics.

I think the main issue is just that they play for like 9 months out of the year, and if you win a championship you barely get any rest, and most of them are so tired that their bodies really need a few months to rest before the next season.

I wish more would show up, but it's probably pretty hard to commit to spending your whole summer working out for no pay when it might fuck your body up and make you unable to compete for a title the next year.

i dont blame them. the people who said they had weddings, bs, they're just scared to go over there, at least others admitted it. and really, i dont think theres anything wrong with that (admitting it at least). we're huge targets, the olympics are huge targets, and none of its worth risking shit over. not everyone has to be a "hero", and if this country wasnt so retarded im sure there'd be plenty of people more willing to represent over there.

I've seen a few commentator interviews with Magic Johnson and Charles Barkley on TNT where they rip pretty much every "star" athelete in the NBA now, talking about how they're just in it for the money, personal fame and things of that nature (I think the three they listed as not part of that were Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett and Shaq).

I totally agree with what they said. I don't think NBA teams play too defensively, I think the guys who play now aren't anywhere near as motivated or (possibly) as skilled as the stars of previous years/decades. While I can understand that people have their reasons for not wanting to go to the Olympics, the fact that they aren't willing to says everything that needs to be said about the NBA.

Siward said:
I've seen a few commentator interviews with Magic Johnson and Charles Barkley on TNT where they rip pretty much every "star" athelete in the NBA now, talking about how they're just in it for the money, personal fame and things of that nature (I think the three they listed as not part of that were Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett and Shaq).

I totally agree with what they said. I don't think NBA teams play too defensively, I think the guys who play now aren't anywhere near as motivated or (possibly) as skilled as the stars of previous years/decades. While I can understand that people have their reasons for not wanting to go to the Olympics, the fact that they aren't willing to says everything that needs to be said about the NBA.

PS- Big men have sucked in the NBA since Kareem and Moses Malone

Shaq is alone amongst midgets

Respice said:
They ran a story tonight about how all the American born NBA players are too sally assed to go to Athens to play in the olympics for their country. Mostly because they're afraid of a terrorist attack or something else along those lines.

They spend a few minutes naming names and weak ass excuses then compare them to the european players who would proudly play for their country and ultimately it leads to Pat Tillman sacking up and heading to war. The entire story was rich with overtones that the NBA players are unpatriotic selfish fuckwads. Good call SC

Maybe because nobody has given a shit about the olympics for 10-20 years. We are the best basketball nation no doubt, but we have 30 national teams, or 32 maybe no 31 but whatever, instead of thier a few. We go up against some teams that are playing together for months and years while we just practice for less than a month and still if we sent our best dominate.

It is also supposed to be amatuar atheletes, how dare these men do not go and risk injury, it is not like they are stressing thier body to the max year after year. Oh ya and look at how many of them get hurt the next NBA season after playing.

Lets see, I will make 90% of the money I will make in my life before the age of 30, should I go risk my well being and my familys well being for something as dumb as the plympics?

Last edited:
Dream Team coach Daly said this "Finally there will come a day -- I'm not saying it will happen anytime soon, mind you, but it's inevitable that it will happen -- that they will be able to compete with us on even terms. And they'll look back on the Dream Team as a landmark event in that process."

Clairvoyant motherfucker.

Most of the players that aren't going are either: looking to rest, injured, have family matters to attend to. It's their fucking choice on going or not, so don't call them "unpatriotic selfish fuckwads."

Because they turn down an olympic spot they're unpatriotic and selfish? nice....

Hey, you're wife is expecting a child, would you be with her for that? or would you be overseas playing a sport that you've been doing all year long...not a tough choice.

Hey, I heard you're getting married, but I guess basketball takes precedence over your wedding day...not a tough choice either.
Props to Ray Allen and Vince Carter, not everyone's career defining moment has to be winning an olympic gold. Family matters too.

Respice said:
this is what's sad.

Most people think, meh, it's basketball and we just own everyone anyway, and we've got the gold before and blah blah. Does any athlete in any other sport from any other country think this way when it comes to the olympics? No. Do NBA players think this way when it comes to the NBA championship? No. Most athletes would die for a chance to represent their country in olympics.

Sportscenter was making a point. It means very little to most NBA basketball players to represent their country in the olympics.
Most other sports are only geared for Olympic competiton so of course the athletes will jump at the chance. Just because you and a few dipshits think they are pussies for not going does not make it so. They have the right to choose to participate without being judged by the likes of you.

Trying to equate Pat Tillman leaving the NFL to join the Armed Forces to these guys playing in the Olympics is absurd and shows how stupid you are being over this. I will assume (if you are eligible) that you are part of the Armed Forces in some capacity.

a few more players with their reasons, although they still might play anyways.

Kidd-his knee is fucked at the moment, he's going to a need a few months off just to get back to 100%
Malone-his ankle has been bothering him ever since he came back, he needs the time off to heal or it's going to be a reacurring injury next year...
McGrady-back spasms and knee tendinitis, carrying a team will take years off your body...t-mac's about 30 now :p

Back