tearing your acl

dubs

Veteran XV
anyone ever tear their acl? I banged up my knee all season skiing, I only mention this to provide more info. A few days ago I was playing a pick-up football game and ran into someone while sprinting. I had a hard time getting up, couldn't continue playing without sharp pain in my left knee. I was able to walk on it, and have been walking on it for the past 4 days or so, but with slight pain. Just yesterday I felt my knee swelling up, and my left leg keeps getting tighter. I can't bend my knee anymore, except for very very limited motion. Today I could barely walk on it, it just keeps getting worse. I'm going to the doctor's tomorrow, but could this be a possible torn acl? Anyone know the signs to watch out for? Should I ice it? take anti-inflammatory drugs? It's so uncomfortable that I have a hard time sleeping.

just remembered something, when I had more motion with my knee, it did give out quite a few times. Never happened before the accident.

I was just in the ER for a knee injury (turned out to just a sprain so far) and the signs they told me to look for for ligament injuries were locking up, giving out, and continued pain.

FortuneCookie said:
anyone ever tear their acl? I banged up my knee all season skiing, I only mention this to provide more info. A few days ago I was playing a pick-up football game and ran into someone while sprinting. I had a hard time getting up, couldn't continue playing without sharp pain in my left knee. I was able to walk on it, and have been walking on it for the past 4 days or so, but with slight pain. Just yesterday I felt my knee swelling up, and my left leg keeps getting tighter. I can't bend my knee anymore, except for very very limited motion. Today I could barely walk on it, it just keeps getting worse. I'm going to the doctor's tomorrow, but could this be a possible torn acl? Anyone know the signs to watch out for? Should I ice it? take anti-inflammatory drugs? It's so uncomfortable that I have a hard time sleeping.
could be anything. I had cartalidge damage with similar symptoms as well as a slightly torn ACL. The only difference was I was able to walk better with the ACL....until it swelled up.

that was before ppl came in with useful responses. how am i suppose to respond? i'm in bitching pain and it's making me agitated. thanks for the response vlasic.

Dodgeball said:
I was just in the ER for a knee injury (turned out to just a sprain so far) and the signs they told me to look for for ligament injuries were locking up, giving out, and continued pain.
That's pretty much what I was told, too.

one of these days I need to have both my knees cleaned up. I was brutal to them as a kid

FortuneCookie said:
that was before ppl came in with useful responses. how am i suppose to respond? i'm in bitching pain and it's making me agitated. thanks for the response vlasic.
Since you said your knee is locked up, it could very well be an ACL injury. But that doesn't mean it can't be something else. Only an MRI will be able to tell for sure.

Hope you don't have a cock ring

g'damn, i fucking hope my insurance covers some place close by school so I don't have to travel far.

FortuneCookie said:
ok, seriously man, it sounds like you have water in the knee. whatever you do, DO NOT make any sudden moves, or you risk the possibility of whatever *might* be floating around in there to lock up. trust me, you DO NOT want to find yourself in that situation.

the doctor is going to have to drain ur knee and put a brace on you. i hope he gives you the thigh to ankle, becuz the smaller one sucks dick and offers little to no support. the needle is going to look big, but once it's in, you really dont feel a thing.

for now, and even after he drains it, you need to do is stay off your leg and keep it elevated above your body or on a few pillows.

it's going to take a couple of weeks at most for the water to go away. you may need to get it drained a few times, depending on how severe things are.

just relax and stay off your feet as much as possible.

I tore my ACL right across the middle, almost snapped back and rolled up in my leg. They pulled it together, sewed it up, and said I'd never sprint again.

I was just sprinting outside :)

Doctors tend to make shit sound worse than it is, so always think optomistic.

Back