what's the difference between blackholes and wormholes?

Fancy Cat

Contributor
Veteran XX
the quick and easy answer?

i was never a physics buff, that's why i majored in economics.

i am just curious.

ownnig.jpg

I don't know.. but at a guess i would say a black hole sucks matter into it, and just like super compacts it down. Where as a worm hole sorta links to parts of space. Are they even real however? I think they are just stuff of movies (worms that is).

a wormhole is a tear in time-space theoretically allowing travel over great distances. a black hole is a dead star sucking in everything that gets near it with gravity including light

Beren said:
I don't know.. but at a guess i would say a black hole sucks matter into it, and just like super compacts it down. Where as a worm hole sorta links to parts of space. Are they even real however? I think they are just stuff of movies (worms that is).

hmmm...so blackholes just suck matter and light in via their massive gravitational pull, and wormholes apperently "fold" space?

i guess that could be the difference.

Flyersfan-PIE said:
a wormhole is a tear in time-space theoretically allowing travel over great distances. a black hole is a dead star sucking in everything that gets near it with gravity including light

how do you tear time/space? or rather, how does it get torn?

the real question is:

why are you asking this? are you trying to pick up a girl from nasa or something?

Beren said:
black hole is, wormhole isn't.

they used to think a black hole (sucks stuff in) and white hole (opposite of black hole, spits stuff out) would make a wormhole, where you get sucked in one end and out the other.

Though they proved that only black holes exist, white holes and worm holes don't.

black hole = great big thing made super small with gravity. If you're near the earth, you'll start to go towards it cuz of gravity. Same with the sun, except you'll move faster and you can be farther and still be pulled. The thing inside the black hole is like that, except a billion times more, so you can be real far away and it'll just suck you right in.

A black hole, not really a hole at all, is matter collapsed in on itself and has such a large mass that it's gravity doesn't even let light escape. Thus it's called a black hole.

According to Einstein's theory of gravity, general relativity, the presence of matter and energy warps the geometric fabric of space and time. When these folds make contact it's theory that a hole would form and you could step thru to a distant part of the universe. Except, in theory the holes that are formed are smaller then quantum particles, protons or electrons.

Last edited:
TerraForce said:
the real question is:

why are you asking this? are you trying to pick up a girl from nasa or something?

just saw a cartoon featuring a blackhole

i never have good reasons

Back