tw intellectuals unite! (help?)

Terra

Contributor
Veteran XX
I have to write a short paper on a recent chicago tribune article which had the thesis statement: "But, like many conveniences, words come with rules."

chicagotribune said:
Leah Eskin
Like it. Or not.

Published January 4, 2004

Words are a wonderful invention. Easy to transport, available in a variety of flavors and accepted almost everywhere. But, like many conveniences, words come with rules.

Nouns, for instance, must be accompanied by a verb at all times. No unchaperoned nouns roaming the streets, simply declaring their inherent person-place-or-thinghood.

Words should make an effort to get along, agreeably. No mixing plurals and singulars. It's unseemly.

Tenses must remain in their own lanes. No switching from past to present without signaling first, preferably with an explicit transition. "Now" is widely accepted.

Languages should be utilized one at a time. Interloping foreign phrases must register, in italics.

The mild-mannered writer knows that these regulations apply. She memorized them, right along with Driving is a Privilege, Not a Right. Twelve years' worth of English instructors can testify that she has been informed of her rights and responsibilities.

She is, in fact, fond of the slim wisdom of the Elements of Style and the lavish detail of the American Heritage Dictionary. She is attentive to usage, never claiming to feel nauseous. Unless, in the words of the revered Strunk and White, she is sure she has that effect on others.

And yet, she is guilty of certain transgressions. She knows this because readers tell her. Freelance critics patrol the back of the book, on alert for infractions. Glimpsing an odd verb they chase it down the far end of some truncated sentence and corner it, alone and frightened.

These are probably the same thugs who form missing-apostrophe posses. And yet, they abuse "their," forcing it stand in for "his or her." They shove nouns, quivering, into duty as verbs. They "office" downtown.

The writer remains calm. She rolls down her window. The leader of the pack, in dark shades, slaps her with a citation: Operating an intransitive verb without its usual preposition. The homemade orange ticket is sticky with sarcasm. It relies on non-standard syntax.

The writer understands the need for order. She wouldn't want to see anyone hurt in a tense collision or be overwhelmed by the suspense of a split infinitive. Yet she defends her infractions.

Because she remembers something from 4th period English that the vigilantes seem to have forgotten. That good grammar, though a good idea, isn't the law. No state imposes a syntax sin tax. Not even on prosaic prose that may be odd, preposition-deficient or nauseous. In our jurisdiction operating a rhetorical device is not a privilege. It's a right.

teacher just handed me the article and said "be as creative as you can with that thesis and work 'outside the box'"

i'm not creative at all (notcreative.net :x ) so if you have any ideas pls help ;o

write your thesis in the intro.. expand.. re state thesis and include your own thoughts at the end... all i have to say :D

well i was thinking about taking the thesis and interpreting with my own opinion but it's not really THAT creative...

You could use a Shel Silverstein poem and do a send up on how those rules don't really function with words as art.

Alternatively, I would recommend applying Orwell's rules from his essay, "Politics and the English Language" to show what a poorly written piece that Chicago Tribune piece is in the first place

Just toss the the word Nigger in there and see how CREATIVE your teacher is on grading you.

DOUBLE DOG DARE!

It is shame that no one in American is alowed to say a non-PC word.... there is your thesis.

or take regular english class where i go in and talk to this hot and stupid girl :browsmile

ya, i didnt like the article either.

can you guys think of any authors, poets, writers who do not follow "rules" yet are immensely successful in their respective writing areas?

TerraForce said:
ya, i didnt like the article either.

can you guys think of any authors, poets, writers who do not follow "rules" yet are immensely successful in their respective writing areas?

Been years... but weren't Frost and Poe a bit lose on the use of proper English?

Not to mention that Haiku has always annoyed me :)

Goddamn that is a gay assignment HAAH fucker u have to write that shit.

Tell her that in Afganistan they dont give a fuck if a verb runs over the Noun but only care if they eat tomorrow. A faggit teacher would dig this.

i thought tw would have more creative/smart people than this.. am i mistaken?

very well, the person who helps the most gets pics of you-know-who from my past.

TerraForce said:
dont make me bust out the datacolosus.jpg on you, help instead :(
A real intellectual would encourage you to use the material given to you in your class and figure it out on your own, not give you the answer and do the work for you. :p

TerraForce said:
i thought tw would have more creative/smart people than this.. am i mistaken?

very well, the person who helps the most gets pics of you-know-who from my past.

give pics first so we know you're not lying.

TerraForce said:
god damnit data, i'm not in the mood to argue :(
I'm sure you can find some poems (try haikus?) out there that do not follow the rules, just look around. Worse case scenario: You have to permanently empty your school with a shotgun so your teachers never know you didn't do you work.

i dont have enough shells and my school apparently doesn't have a spawn point for those ammos either.

Back