Weak U.S. Dollar: Dollar vs Euro

PopCorn

Veteran X
Please explain to me in plain english why the weak Dollar vs Euro is a good or bad thing? Euro closed at 1.2xx against the dollar today.

Bad:
you wanna travel to Europe, your dollar is going to be worth shit there and it is going to cost you a boatload

Good:
Those stocks I bought on the LSE are now worth even more!!! (not directly, because LSE is in pounds, but those pounds follow the Euro to some extent.... best example I could come up with on short notice) :p

Fuckin A! woot

-Wolverine said:
Bad:
you wanna travel to Europe, your dollar is going to be worth shit there and it is going to cost you a boatload

Good:
Thos stocks I bought on the LSE are now worth even more!!!

I'm talking about the bigger picture, not the obvious.

It's neither good nor bad. It just is. In the short-term, it makes our exports less expensive. All of the hyperventilation in the media is for naught.

Question for Stone:
The UE failed to create a constitution, didn't they?

If they failed to create a constitution, do you have any ideas (other than that whole "faith" thing) as to why the Euro is gaining in value?

THx

stone said:
It's neither good nor bad. It just is. In the short-term, it makes our exports less expensive. All of the hyperventilation in the media is for naught.

That's kind of how I see it. People are acting as if this is a bad thing and I guess at some point it could be. But as long as it's kept in check, it looks like it could be a boost to the economy due to increased US exports.

"The Treasury Department said on Monday foreigners' net purchases of U.S. financial securities rose to $27.65 billion in October from $4.19 billion in September."

That looks pretty good to me. Thanks for the input.

stone said:

Nyet, it's more good than bad.

This is helping to mitigate a trade balence that is really out of whack.

The US dollar weakening against the Euro is a pretty damn bad thing; for Americans anyway, but potentially the entire world as well. The increased amount of exports America would receive are minimal since so much manufacturing is now done outside of the US. Look at everything you own, how much of it says "Made in USA?" So now, if it costs more to make those goods in other places, you don't think it's gonna cost more to buy?

That's not even the big issue, the big issue is on the dollar hegemony. WIth the decline in value of the dollar countries will start to invest in other currencies (read: Euro) which will further weaken the dollar. No no, it's almost definitely a bad thing or will be, but could possibly be a VERY bad thing.

rastex said:
The US dollar weakening against the Euro is a pretty damn bad thing; for Americans anyway, but potentially the entire world as well. The increased amount of exports America would receive are minimal since so much manufacturing is now done outside of the US. Look at everything you own, how much of it says "Made in USA?" So now, if it costs more to make those goods in other places, you don't think it's gonna cost more to buy?

That's not even the big issue, the big issue is on the dollar hegemony. WIth the decline in value of the dollar countries will start to invest in other currencies (read: Euro) which will further weaken the dollar. No no, it's almost definitely a bad thing or will be, but could possibly be a VERY bad thing.

:huh:

Jotaro said:
Nyet, it's more good than bad.

This is helping to mitigate a trade balence that is really out of whack.

Our trade balance is far too large to be significantly reduced by a devaluation of the dollar relative to other currencies. Like I said, in the short-term at best it is marginally beneficial.

Archimedes said:
I imagine we would have a little weaker of currency as compared to damn near an entire continent. :shrug:

In case you diddnt notice the US is damn near an entire continent itself.

Chic0 said:
In case you diddnt notice the US is damn near an entire continent itself.
Yeah... except for Canada, Mexico, and all of the central American countries. When you bind a bunch of countries economies together of course it is going to be a bit stronger than a single countries economy. Even if that single country is a super power.

"The Treasury Department said on Monday foreigners' net purchases of U.S. financial securities rose to $27.65 billion in October from $4.19 billion in September."

Ahh people people, don't you know what this means? It means that the already giant debt of the country has grown by $27b in October instead of $4b in September. But wait, that's a GOOD thing? Because you know when you have that much extra money floating around it decreases even further the value of the dollar.

Back