The US Dollar

rastex

Veteran X
I'm more curious about what SBJ thinks about what's going on. He has made it no secret that he's divesting out of the stock market and that he expects the dollar's value to continue to fall. I've been doing some reading on the topic and things seem to be a bit more threatening and vulnerable than I first thought.

Here's my first glance, very early take on the situation. I hope those knowledgeable here can correct me on my mistakes.

The dollar's been overvalued since 1971 when Nixon removed any form of Gold backing. The US dollar than became the defacto gold "standard" and has been, and is now the 'reserve currency'. What that means is that instead of foreign countries backing their money up with gold, they back it up with American dollars.

Ok, so this is where things get a little complicated and sketchy, so if there's anybody out there who understands this better, please correct any mistakes I make.

Here we go. I will assume that people know the fundamental laws of supply and demand, because with everything in economics that's all it really comes down to. Anyway, the starting point: US dollars buy oil. Up until now, if you want to purchase oil from the oil suppliers/companies you had them some American dollars and will get the lifeblood of your country.

So, WHY the oil-supplying countries trade only in American dollars is a historical point that I'm sure has a lot to do with politics and all of that. Incidentally Iraq switched to selling its oil for Euros instead of the dollar, and well, we all know what happened there. Anyway, so dollars buy oil. Oil is in high demand, therefore dollars will be in high demand. So now what foreign countries do is sell their cheaply made goods and supplies to the US for American money. This is why things are so cheap in the US (I got new Reebok bball shoes for $10 here). One thing to note for later is that a large majority of the population is living far beyond their needs and building their lives on a mountain of debt. All the rage in the past decade has been refinancing mortgages in the real-estate boom (or should I say bubble?).

Ok, so US prints money to pay off foreign suppliers for their goods. Despite there being a lot of USD out there, it remains strong because of the strong demand for it. Ok, so now the dollars are in the foreign countries, and these countries now want to buy oil with it, so they go to Saudi Arabia or other oil exporting countries to purchase some. So now a large part of the dollars are in these oil countries. Well, we all know the oil countries aren't being starved for money, in fact they have a lot to spare, so what do they do with this extra surplus? Invest it! And they invest it right back into Americ the "safe" bet.

In 2001 I believe, Arabia had $700 billion dollars invested in the American economy. In 2002, they pulled out $200b of that, and that's probably gone up a lot more since then. Investments in America come in a variety of forms, but a lot of the investments are done in US treasuries and bonds.

Alright, so now we have this perpetuating cycle where the US prints money, foreign countries sell it for cheap goods. Then purchase oil with it. And then the dollars are subsequently invested BACK into the American economy keeping it strong and allowing it to move further into debt.

Now, what if confidence in the American economy wavers? This is exactly what has happened in the past year. US treasuries are no longer seen as a 'safe' bet and so foreign investors are less likely to place their money in the US. Now that poses a big problem to the government because they will not be able to print out new money without selling bonds.

So what do they do? Raise interest rates! This will make the bonds more attractive to foreign investors. But remember that debt that the average American is lying upon? That's where it comes back to bite them in the ass. Interest rates have been so low the past couple of years, and so much new borrowing has been done that if interest rates are raised, even a small amount, havoc will be done to the general public.

So you see the dilemma here. Foreign investors certainly do, and will continue to scale back their investments in the US. To compensate this the USD is now in a controlled slide for a variety of reasons. 1: The real value of the debt plunges as the value of the dollar plunges, since it's denominated in USD. 2: Exports will increase since they will be cheaper to purchase.

So right away we have a intentional effort by Mr. Greenspan et al to lower the value of the American dollar. For how long? For how much? I don't know, and I haven't read anything to give any indication that anybody else does either. Personally, I don't think the dollar will ever go back up since as soon as it loses its value, people will move their money elsewhere (Euro, gold, etc).

This is while things are under control. A much more volatile scenario occurs if things start to move on their own.

Again, this is my amateur take on the situation. I'm sure it's probably riddled with holes and inconsistencies, so if anybody call fill them in for me, I would very much appreciate it.

Oh, and no cliff notes. If you don't have the patience to read what I wrote then you won't be able to answer my questions and respond intelligently anyway.

I'm not reading that.

So here's a picture of a dollar.
dollar.jpg

Eh, decent enough.

The main problem I have with the entire Federal Reserve system is that effectively lets the government have authority over the markets..moreso than it should. With their current policy of keeping interest rates low, and printing more and more money to meet the demand (supplying the market with 'easy' money), eventually the Fed will have two options. Either 1) keep doing the same procedure and let our money devalue itself more and more until it reaches the point where its worth virtually nothing; or 2) raise interest rates to increase the value of the money. Of course when #2 happens, and all these businesses run out of easy money and have to close shop..we're right back in the 1930s again.

I personally don't like investing in currency because things like war, natural disasters, major terrorist attacks (9-11) can hurt a country's economy big time and are completely unpredictable. Although the U.S. economy is on the rebound I think it is also changing too much for me to have enough confidence to invest in the dollar at the moment. We are starting to go from the major manufacturing economic powerhouse to a more service based economy. I think it in the next 10-20 years the United States will have a completely different type of workforce and this change will directly impact the value of the dollar. In sort, too risky at the moment.

Veor, the situation is even worse than that from what I understand. The money just isn't in Americans hands, but a large part of it is in foreign hands as well. Apparently China and Japan are in control of a significant amount of American currency due to excessive hoarding in the last decade. If the USD shows signs of extreme devaluation, the Chinese and Japanese might dump their dollars onto the market sending the value off a cliff.

Check out this article: http://f17.parsimony.net/forum30434/messages/238981.htm

Die Chinesen sitzen am Hebel - alleine

US DOLLAR IMPLOSION – PART II
By Alf Field

In June 2002 I published an article entitled "The Coming US Dollar Implosion". At that time the Euro was US$ 0.96 and the US Dollar Index 108. The figures today (3rd Dec 2003) are Euro = US$1.20 and a US Dollar index of just under 90. The Euro has gained 25%. The US Dollar index has declined 17%.

As Winston Churchill might have put it, in regard to the US Dollar : "We have reached the End of the Beginning and are about to enter the Beginning of the End". What has taken place during the past 17 months has been no more than Part I of the US$ implosion. We are set to start Part II.

During the past 17 months the US Dollar has declined moderately against most European currencies, and by even more against the currencies of commodity producers such as South Africa, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand. Elementary economics teaches that when a country's currency depreciates, that country's trade deficit will gradually diminish. Yet, despite a two year slide in the Dollar, there has so far been no decline in the US trade deficit. Why the exception?

The answer lies in the countervailing actions adopted by some of America's Asian trading partners. Those with the largest surpluses, mainly Japan and China, have been intervening in the markets to slow the appreciation of their currencies against the Dollar in an effort to protect their export industries. China, which today enjoys the largest surplus of all America's trading partners, linked its currency directly to the US Dollar. Despite rising opposition from the US Government, China's currency strategy continues unabated.

Before condemning the Chinese, it is important to understand what is happening in their country. The Industrial Revolution in the UK and Europe in the 18th and 19th centuries totally transformed their economies from agricultural dependency to economies reliant on industry and commerce. People moved off the land into the towns. Jobs in the new industries were poorly paid, but they at least provided a living.

China appears to be going through a similar experience. They are enjoying their own Industrial Revolution that is rapidly transforming what was previously an agrarian economy into one witnessing a massive build up in its industrial and commercial infrastructure. China currently has the lowest cost labour force in the world. They are therefore being inundated with an influx of US manufacturers. Some transfer existing operations, lock, stock and barrel. Others have closed down out-of-date facilities back home only to establish brand new plants in China. To this growing pool may be added factories controlled by indigenous Chinese entrepreneurs.

With wages in Asia being a tiny fraction of those paid to workers in western countries, the trend of moving manufacturing and services to Asia – especially to China and India – is bound to accelerate. Adding to America's nightmare is a Chinese cultural and business strategy that places great emphasis on the distant future. This persuades the nation to endure short-term pain in the interests of achieving long-term goals.

What seems to be happening is the following. The Chinese view the US as their main export market, hence the solid link between their own currency and the Dollar. China has been earning massive Dollar surpluses from its trade with the US. They re-invest those surpluses back into US Treasury Bonds. By recycling their dollars back into the system, they play a key role in keeping US interest rates artificially low. This in turn holds America's economic recovery on track.

China must know that it is selling real goods to the USA and being paid in pieces of paper that will ultimately be worth a lot less.

The Chinese understand they will one day have to take a loss on their dollar reserves, but this is the price that they are willing to pay to maintain the existing order. The longer they perpetuate the system, the faster their industrial infrastructure will grow and the greater the number of Chinese finding jobs. A fall in the value of their accumulated foreign reserves is a price they are prepared to pay in the interests of laying a foundation for their country's long-term growth.

China is happy to see the status quo continue. It will only change if the US takes unilateral action when the US tires of losing jobs and services to Asia. The political pressure is certainly building. American voters are becoming increasingly aware jobs are disappearing as factories close. The subcontracting of service work is going to India where there is a culture of speaking English.

A sign that groundswell opposition is having an impact was evidenced by President Bush's recent tour of Asia. He requested Asian countries to allow their currencies to appreciate against the Dollar. Unsurprisingly his appeals went unheard. Back in Washington, the Democrats have been pushing to levy a 27.5% tariff on Chinese goods imported into the US "to protect our jobs".

These are all signs in the wind that this particular trade arrangement is coming to an end. Sooner or later the USA will be forced to take some form of unilateral action to terminate the relationship. The side effects will be extremely damaging. Their action will signal that the game is over. It will also confirm the end of the US Dollar as a reserve currency, triggering Part II of the US Dollar Implosion.

When China understands that the game is over, the time will have arrived for them to dispose of their US Treasury Bonds, effectively switching out of Dollars into something safer like the Euro (the only viable paper reserve asset) – and into gold, which will soon become the reserve asset of choice. In recent years China has steadily been building up the gold component of their country's foreign reserves. This trend will soon accelerate.

It is possible that China may eventually revalue their currency, the Remnimbi. In the meantime, the result of confrontation will be to tip the US, and therefore the world economy, into recession. US interest rates will rise rapidly as the Chinese dump their Treasury Bonds, causing havoc in the US real estate market. The Chinese economy will not be unaffected and may well dip into recession simultaneously. Recently constructed factories in China may fall on hard times. Those that have been financed through debt could go to the wall. Chinese entrepreneurs will pick up these factories for cents in the dollar.

Part II of the Dollar implosion will differ substantially from Part I. If the US-China economic relationship changes or ceases, the effect on commodity prices could be immediate and dramatic. "Commodity" currencies may then no longer look quite as attractive as they do at present. In the face of spreading recession, the prices of most commodities would decline, severely denting the attractiveness of the currencies of commodity producers. This could cause a severe reaction to events of the past two years in which the Australian dollar has risen 50%, from 48c to 72c; the South African Rand that is up almost 100%, from 8c to 15.5c; and the New Zealand dollar that has risen 60%, from 40c to 64c.

The feature of Part II of the US Dollar Implosion will be a recognition that even presently popular commodity currencies are mere paper, ultimately no different to the Dollar itself. There will be an awareness that, unlike the 1930's when competitive currency devaluations were made "by decree"; we are now in an era of competitive currency creation or printing. The country with the fastest growth of currency creation will have a short term trade advantage as their currency depreciates against competitive nations. As investors withdraw from the erstwhile favoured currencies, they will have a problem deciding where to invest their funds. This is when gold will be seen as a viable alternative.

There will therefore be a growing awareness and recognition of the vastly more attractive reserve asset role that gold must and will play in the future. This recognition is the fuel that will fire a rocket under the price of gold, driving it to substantial new highs in terms of ALL currencies.

SILVER

In past crises, the wealthy have protected themselves buy purchasing gold and gold related assets. Ordinary people, by far the greater number, could rarely afford to buy gold. Being far cheaper, they have previously had to buy silver. This metal became the poor man's choice as an asset to protect their savings. Silver has so far lagged gold in the early stages of this bull market, but that situation seems about to change.

Throughout recorded history the average relationship between silver and gold has been 15oz silver to 1oz gold. The ratio at present is a far higher 75:1 ($400/$5.30). This is massively out of line. If gold were to double to $800 per oz, it would not be unreasonable to expect the silver/gold ratio to decline sharply, possibly as low as 40:1. With gold at $800, this would position silver at $20.

Thus a 100% increase in the price of gold could possibly be accompanied by a simultaneous 400% increase (perhaps more) in the price of silver. This offers significant opportunities both in silver bullion and silver mining shares .

The above graph of the price of silver has been borrowed from an excellent recent article by Dan Norcini entitled "A Technical Look at Silver – Update".

What is quite clear from the graph is that silver's 22-year bear market down trend has come to an end. As Dan Norcini says, a new bull market in silver has been born. It is difficult to argue against this contention and I have no intention of doing so. A silver price above $6.80 would complete a fabulous head-and-shoulders base formation. With this as a foundation, it would be possible to project a very large rise in the price of silver for the future.

Alf Field

3 December 2003

Last edited:
The fall of the dollar is neither good nor bad. It just is. All of the hyperventilation is for naught.

Lord Elessar said:
I personally don't like investing in currency because things like war, natural disasters, major terrorist attacks (9-11) can hurt a country's economy big time and are completely unpredictable. Although the U.S. economy is on the rebound I think it is also changing too much for me to have enough confidence to invest in the dollar at the moment. We are starting to go from the major manufacturing economic powerhouse to a more service based economy. I think it in the next 10-20 years the United States will have a completely different type of workforce and this change will directly impact the value of the dollar. In sort, too risky at the moment.

Staring? This change isn't new, it's been taking place for decades now. We will always have some sort of production/manufacturer, however as it stands we are moreso service providers than anything else.

Our rampant consumerism is going to bite us in the ass, while watching Oprah, and eating Ben & Jerry's, on our in-car DVD system, while the robo-chauffer runs us up to Old Navy for some new khakis.

Bitchin_Camaro said:
Our rampant consumerism is going to bite us in the ass, while watching Oprah, and eating Ben & Jerry's, on our in-car DVD system, while the robo-chauffer runs us up to Old Navy for some new khakis.

Awwww...look at the disaffected little communist.

Bitchin_Camaro said:

How, exactly?

-]P[-Veor said:
Staring? This change isn't new, it's been taking place for decades now. We will always have some sort of production/manufacturer, however as it stands we are moreso service providers than anything else.

I live in South West VA and we are now seeing the full impact of NAFTA. I say starting because we still have a large share of major industries like car manufacturing but things like steel and textiles have gone over seas. The textiles leaving have really hurt the part of the country I live in. SW VA northern NC was at one point the capital of textile producing for the entire world. Now just about every single company has gone to Mexico or elsewhere.

I think inverters and analysts need to take a longer look at the changing economy. The focus seems to be on retaining the major manufacturing industries like steel production but I just don't see the U.S. being able to compete with foreign counties due to the cheap labor costs available over seas. I personally don't think people in this country are fully prepared for the change and we need to do something about that.

Good Read.

And this is one of those times that everyone that anyone that requests cliff notes is saying.

"I'm a fucking idiot."

Back