Paintballers

D'Monix

Veteran X
Anyone play paintball? my friends have been working on getting me into it, just dunno what the usual prices on the marker guns are, and if there is something more suited to a slower-moving guy like me, how long is the range on those things anyway?

Ark

I always like it when the 'slower-moving' guys make up for their disavdantge by laying down a god-awful amount of paint. Like 4 cases a day. They just stand in the back with a gun and pull the trigger all match and lay down fire. I once saw some porker go through 20pods in one game with his shocker turbo.

But for range, might want to try a tipman with that crazy curved barrel(I haven't played in like 2 years..I forget the name)

tipmans are fuckin roaches
if you are just startin out get a spyder or somethin. yea i know its not that great, but its cheap enough to not drop to much cash if you decide paintball isnt your thing, and its not so cheap as to ruin paintball for you by sucking complete ass.

lol, weight regardless in my case slower-moving is the truth, i'm six foot six, got half the joints in my left leg have been broken or had pieces taken out of the bone to fix others. so no sprinting for me..

:D

cool, i'll start checking into things i can lay down accurate fire support with

Ark

I have been told that tippmans with the flatline barrel have the distance but when the ball travels that far, they don't have a enough speed to break on someone. So unless you hit something solid like a mask or gun, the balls will not break.

Forgot to add that Tippmann A-5 is one of the fastest firing stock guns on the market. It's what I have and I love it. Have to get a new barrel for it though to shoot accurately. I have the Dye Ultralight 14" on mine and love it.

tippmans w/ flatline barrel have range, but ou wont actually hit anything...horrible accuracy.

if you really want the accuracy, get at least a good gun (stock autococker or timmy or whatever) and upgrade the barrel to a dye boomstick or the freak set.

If your slow mover then you dont want a tippman 98. You need something with a little more range and more accurate. If I was you I would go with something like a stock autococker upgrade the barrel to a dye stainless and purchase a spare rec barrel( I prefer J&J ceramic med. bore cause it doesnt chop paint for the most part). This setup is about 600 bills.

If you cant afford cocker then you should look at something like a spyder with a long Ceramic barrel. Its about 400 for this setup with out air.

If you want more detail stuff or some Q&A pm me in IRC #cru. I will be on all day tomrow.

I have an STO autococker, and recommending an autococker to a newbie is just rediculous. There is so much work to keep that gun operational, and they are sooo different then any gun on the market. Tuning is pain as well..but in the end it is alll worth it. Not to mention, running C02 on a cocker is not smart as well, especially if you live where it gets cold. In conclusion, autococker is not for the faint of heart or small pockets.

Last edited:
i have a dye ultralite '02 autococker.... its a $1300 gun but i only have it cause i play for my schools team. i would recommend a spyder shutter... fun gun to play with, consistant, $150 approx. and customizable. when u do get into the game get an autococker. base price for a WGP cocker is like $375-$450 depending on where/when u get it. wgp autocockers are the honda civics of paintball. they can be customized to look and perform beautifully but they start cheap and everyone owns one.

Urraca said:
I have an STO autococker, and recommending an autococker to a newbie is just rediculous.
True. I'd recommend going with a Tippmann or Spyder for your first gun...I haven't played PB in a long time, so i'm not too up to date on the current guns, but i'd stay away from the talon.

Urraca said:
I have an STO autococker, and recommending an autococker to a newbie is just rediculous. There is so much work to keep that gun operational, and they are sooo different then any gun on the market. Tuning is pain as well..but in the end it is alll worth it. Not to mention, running C02 on a cocker is not smart as well, especially if you live where it gets cold. In conclusion, autococker is not for the faint of heart or small pockets.

Ok, first off. Autocockers were hard to maintain markers before. But now they have gotten much easier to play with and work on. and a stock cocker cost about 400, a new barrel 50 bucks a new air tank about 100 bucks(one of the cheapes). Which would total out to about 600 bucks mask is another 40 and pack is 50. There you have about 700.

Now as for cockers being not for newbs that is a joke. Its better to say angels arent for newbs. I played for The Mob in Nppl and for P&L Factory Team in Nepl and Nppl. Soo I think I know what I am talking about. For me recommending that marker, I have seen people put 500 bucks in to a spyder or tipman only to be stuck with it in the end or sell it for almost nothing. I recommended that marker for the simple reason that he would only buy that marker once and never needs to upgrade unless he changes his style of playing(and even then I was a front man for my 5 man team with a cocker).

As for cockers breaking paint. ALL markers break paint. Sweet and simple. IMO angels destroy paint. But I have seen from my experiance that its all up to the player and needing to learn his marker. Once you do that you will probably break 3 in a 1000 balls.

Ohh and for those of you intrested I Own my custimized Cocker By Bob Long, I got a LC3 Angel, and a Defiant. I have played in a shit load of major tournaments. I know what I am talking about. Dont ask how much I paid for my stuff.

Amino I think the force 5 cocker is the best one out there can put out about 22 balls a second and cost around 2000 for marker or about 800-1200 for the upgrade kit.

As a guy that normally uses a tippman + flatline let me dispel the rumors. Yes the balls go further and go straighter, IF it is installed correctly. The balls travel at the same speed, if I chrono at 280fps its the same 280 fps you chrono w/o the flatline.

What flatline does it put a backspin on the ball. This keeps it in the air longer. However if the barrell is put in wrong then when the ball comes out of the barrell it will have a slight SIDEspin which will cause it to vere off after a certain range.

If the barrell is in right, you can use that to your advantage. To some extent I can curve my balls around barriers. They don't go sideways but they do turn in. It takes practice and of course luck, but its kind of fun to try.

And ya I think they go further and stay straighter.

If you're starting out get a Tippman 98. They're the best for beginners who want a good, reliable gun for a decent price. Tippmans are THE most reliable gun on the market.

Actually the Tippman is my dad's gun. He also owns and uses an Angel. Me and him will switch between the two when we go out, because in woods ball like we play the Tippman is just as good as the angel as far as accuracy. And the angle is a $1000+ gun, while the tippman is <$200.

If you really want to lay down some covering fire, youd buy an Angel with the semi/auto/single switch on it.

Back