New Technologies in the upcoming years.

L

Limbo

Whoa! Stop for a moment, i'm still on my Pentium 2 400, ATI Rage Pro 8mb, and finally planning to get a new comp. :ugh:

Now wtf? They introduce PCI Express, which is supposed to replace AGP effectively next year, and planning to replace BIOS with EFI, perhaps in LongHorn.
So wtf are we consumers suppose to do? Upgrade now? Or suffer for another 2 years, to get brand new technology, and not lag behind the pack? :confused:

Limbo said:
fuck that, i'm going for top of the line :dapimp:

then prepare to fall behind when the new tech comes out.

honestly you lose a lot of money imho if you get the latest and grreatest. Doing that has a big premium attatched. You can get like a 1.6ghz and a ti4200 preeeettty cheap and they arn't slow at all. Or you could spend twice that and be 35% faster.

why get lower end stuff when you can get higher end :f
i'd fall even further behind when the new tech comes out if i get the ti 4200

i'm kinda excited by all these new gadgets, does that make me a nerd?

Limbo said:
why get lower end stuff when you can get higher end :f
i'd fall even further behind when the new tech comes out if i get the ti 4200
youd be worse off if you had bought a gf3 when they first came out

i'll get alienware when i win the lottery, then i'll get myself a quad OC-192 connect too, then put up 39874394 tribes servers, until then, i'll build my own comp

Top of the line is worth it if you like having the biggest dick of all your friends for a few months

I mean, whatever like what everone said its just an issue of money. If being the latest n grreatest for a few months is worth it for you, go ahead.

Honestly as it is the ti4200 isn't so bad. On my ageing 1.4tbird/256mb/sis i can run the doom alpha pretty good.

I'm not nearly as up to date on this stuff as I used to be...but if I were to invest in anything heavily I would get a good CPU since it will probly work with the new mobos with the new jazz that comes out. I assume ram would too. Then of course is all the stuff that never gets obsolete...a solid case, solid cooling solutions, etc.

well i'm planning to get the following, gfx card is uncertain atm:
Prices in CANADIAN,

EDIT:
Epox 8RDA+ ($200)
XP 2400+ ($217)
Y.S. Tech 32mm case fan ($19)
Corsair CMX256A-3200C2 256MB DDR400 PC3200 32Mx64 184 DIMM Cas2 Memory w/Heat Spreader x2 ($246)
vid card ($500)
Western Digital 80 GB w/ 8mb cache HD x2 ($315)
Thermalright SLK-800 Copper Heatsink (CPU fan up to 80x80x38) ($70)
Thermaltake Smart Fan II w/ temp. sensor control (A1357) x2 ($44)
Artic silver 3 thermal paste ($12)
Antec SX1040b II 400W ($154)
Sony 16x DVD ($60)
Lite On 52x24x52 CD-RW ($89)
Promise Ultra133 TX2 RAID Controller card ($59)

i'm pretty set on everything except vid card, I'm really interested in the R350, when the hell is it coming out and how much will it be anyway :f
And i saw on beyond3d.com that the Geforce FX will sell for 99 bucks now? wtf? :| I'm not sure about all this shit, since they said changing to PCI express will require full PC upgrade, what the shits

Last edited:
Limbo said:
well i'm planning to get the following, gfx card is uncertain atm:
Prices in CANADIAN,

Epox 8RDA+ ($198)
XP 2400+ ($265.5)
Y.S. Tech 32mm case fan ($19)
Corsair 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 ($241.5)
Vid card (~$500)
Western Digital 60GB w/ 8mb cache HD x2 ($300)
Thermalright SLK-800 Copper Heatsink (CPU fan up to 80x80x38) ($70)
Thermaltake Smart Fan II w/ temp. sensor control (A1357) x2 ($44)
Artic silver 3 thermal paste ($12)
Antec SX1040b II 400W ($150)
Sony DDU1621/DDU1611 16x IDE DVD w/CyberLink PowerDVD 4.0 Software ($63)
Lite On 52x24x52 CD-RW ($87.75)
Promise Ultra133 TX2 RAID Controller card ($59)

i'm pretty set on everything except vid card, I'm really interested in the R350, when the hell is it coming out and how much will it be anyway :f
And i saw on beyond3d.com that the Geforce FX will sell for 99 bucks now? wtf? :| I'm not sure about all this shit, since they said changing to PCI express will require full PC upgrade, what the shits
i read all that and was wondering why it was so fucking expensive then realized it was in canadian.
you better go convert that or no one will understand it

[counter-sarcasm]
you "read through all" that and didn't notice the word in caps?
[/counter-sarcasm]

one thing i can't wait for r&d to finish up is OLED

they can be layered soo thin that the display can actually roll up.

imagine having a calling device like in GR: earth final conflict

Back