North Korea may strike U.S. forces pre-emptively

JoMo

Veteran XX
What the fuck is N. Korea's problem? Not getting enough "axis of evil" attention?

----------------------------------------------------

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea may strike U.S. forces pre-emptively rather than wait for an American attack after a war with Iraq, a spokesman for the communist state told Britain's Guardian newspaper in Pyongyang.

"The United States says that after Iraq, we are next," the Guardian Web Site quoted Ri Pyong-gap, a North Korean Foreign Ministry deputy director, as saying Wednesday amid rising tensions over a nuclear crisis on the Korean peninsula.

"But we have our own countermeasures. Pre-emptive attacks are not the exclusive right of the U.S," said Ri, according to the Guardian Web Site. His reported remarks went further than numerous recent dire warnings issued by Pyongyang's state media.

A Guardian correspondent, one of several British journalists admitted to secretive North Korea this month, quoted Ri as saying that the current nuclear stand-off was more dangerous than that a decade ago when Washington and Pyongyang nearly went to war.

"The present situation can be called graver than it was in 1993. It will be touch and go," the daily quoted Ri as saying.

Hmm, it's been implied that we will be attacked by a seemingly belligerent, violent nation. I say we sit here and wait for it to happen.

Well, they can go ahead and do that...and feel the rest of the world come down on them in a furious war. Theyd be much smarter to let the US make the first move, that way they can have all this Anti-War protest to their advantage.

If they stirke pre-emptively, theyll successfully alienate themselves from anyone who would support them otherwise.

you kinda have to admit their logic makes sense.

here's an intelligence test for you:

Q: if you were north korea and the US had made threats in your general direction while engaging in military activities with another country and alluding to the fact that you might be next, would you:

a) hang out and wait for the US to finish with Iraq so they're free to attack you
b) stop doing whatever it is you're not supposed to be doing
c) buy a new puppy as comfort food since no one likes you
d) invade the south while the US is busy in Iraq, thereby making the US military the busiest it's been since...god knows when

MightyMonkey said:
you kinda have to admit their logic makes sense.

here's an intelligence test for you:

Q: if you were north korea and the US had made threats in your general direction while engaging in military activities with another country and alluding to the fact that you might be next, would you:

a) hang out and wait for the US to finish with Iraq so they're free to attack you
b) stop doing whatever it is you're not supposed to be doing
c) buy a new puppy as comfort food since no one likes you
d) invade the south while the US is busy in Iraq, thereby making the US military the busiest it's been since...god knows when
Yes, but if they openly declare war on a country...it wouldnt be just the US knocking down their door.

DipStick said:
Yes, but if they openly declare war on a country...it wouldnt be just the US knocking down their door.
They kinda never stopped openly declaring war on a country.

If the world's attention and resources were focused on Iraq, and if things went really bad in Iraq, as in WMD deployment and other countries being sucked into the conflict, N Korea would have to be stupid to NOT do anything.

The really scary thing about NK is how extreme they are AND they have nukes. I mean shit, they scare me more than Iraq ever would. They sell missiles and rockets to terrorist states, and are currently making MORE nukes.

These guys would have no qualms about selling Al-queda once of their nukes me thinks :/

North Korea is a bunch of jerks. [wimp lo] I don't like them very much... let's kill them. [/wimp lo]

Actually, NK has, or is close to having missles that can hit the west coast. First logical target would be Seattle, since we have a military, naval, and some other bases there.

Fucking North Koreans, what, is NOT starting a war too boring for them or what?

NK desn't have to. They would simply nuke Japan. or Taiwan. Japan would be a much better target, since A) they have this historical dislike of nukes on their soil and B) are a huge economic power.

To further illustrate my point - Cuba (oh yeah, that OTHER communist country) hasn't fallen either, and we're not threatening to invade it any time soon (mush to the dismay of the Cubans in Florida). The key is that BOTH countries are run by solid dictatorships - and from what I understand, the successor to Castro is even more hardcore than Castro ever was.

The old saying "Absolute Power corrupts absolutely".

And perhaps some of you don't rememeber, but NK did the same song and dance during Desert Storm. We had the same issues then as well. People were concerned that NK would take the opportunity to invade.

They didn't. Why? Cause they'd get their asses kicked by the South with the US forces in place. The south's military coupled with US intelligence and air dominance would easily defeat the NK's ill kept army. Especially since the spare parts needed to keep their war machine running are almost non existent since the Soviets gave up on them.

All the North has at this point is the threat of attacking the South. It's what keeps them around, with food and supplies pouring in from countries like Japan, SK, and the US. They simply rattle their sabres to get more aid, and possible concessions. It's worked for 40 years, why think it wouldn't continue to work now?

that would esentially be the most stupidedededeest thing they could do, i think they really want to get nuked by us, cause right now we are pretty pissed off and i thing we will use tac nukes if these pebble nations push us any further.

Its like the hyenas testin lions or then the lion suprises them in turn, then no more hyena.

I seriously doubt that the U.S. would use anything but a tactical nuke (and it is very unlikely even then) unless we were faced with being destroyed.

It wouldn't be needed. If we wanted to launch an all-out strike against a country (think about the bombing of German cities, i.e. Dresden and the bombings of Japan, up to and including 'The Bombs") and we weren't concerned about the politics of it, collateral damage or civilian casualties, we could raze the whole fucking country in short order without ever using a nuke.

The same goes for the other major military powers. Britain, Israel, China, Russia, India, etc. Uninhibited bombardment, tank divisions rolling through, etc.

BTW, the answer is b) or whatever it was - stop doing what you are doing.

Even assuming that the leader of NK was 'just' (and he isn't) he would have two options in the scenario you present - stand up for what he believes is right and be obliterated - or - give up.

The North Koreans can't successfully invade South Korea, even with the U.S. fully active in Iraq.

Destroy South Korea? Possibly/probably. Conquer it or invade with ground forces and win. Not at all likely.

BTW, with the economy down in America now, the military industrial complex could ramp-up like a mother fucker.

Can you imagine America going balls-out in support of a war effort? :(

ZooL said:
that would esentially be the most stupidedededeest thing they could do, i think they really want to get nuked by us, cause right now we are pretty pissed off and i thing we will use tac nukes if these pebble nations push us any further.

Its like the hyenas testin lions or then the lion suprises them in turn, then no more hyena.
I pray that you're no older than thirteen to any deity that will listen every time I see your posts.

I have this much | | faith left in humanity.

I think North Korea is simply rattling their sabre. Who is their biggest supporter? China and Russia...

Who helped them out during Korean war? China

China is annoyed by North Korea already. Without China and Russia's approval, if North Korea invades South Korea, they're inviting their own doom.

Logically, it makes no sense for North Korea to pre-emptive strike US forces in the south. Unfortunately, it can be hard to understand Kim.

North Korea is a big headache for China. They need to keep North Korea afloat because there's already a lot of North Korean "refugee" around the border area. China used to allow a more "open" border with North Korea until some North Koreans seek political asylum in foreign embassies in Beijing. After that, China started to crack down on North Korean in China. If there isn't all those smuggling going on between China and North Korea border, North Korean will starve even more. They often slip through the border, bribing north korean guards, work in china, then bring food back to North Korea.

There's a joke going on in North Korea. If Kim opens up the border, he'll be the only one left in North Korea. I've read reports how unstable north korea might become.

MADness said:
BTW, the answer is b) or whatever it was - stop doing what you are doing.
B) doesnt' make sense from a N Korea perspective; if the enemy is stretching himself thin it's time to take things up a notch...that means more sabre rattling (openly manufacturing nukes) or openly invading.

Yes, (b) is what we'd LIKE to see them do...but it's not in their INTEREST to do that.

Back