Dumpster Diving

Xapz

Veteran X
I wanna go, but don't know how to even start. Will anyone care that i'm doing it, should I do it at night after they close, which stores are good?

Okay then.

#1 Go at night (for the obvious reasons -- fewer people around to harass you)

#2 Be quick - Don't hang around forever

#3 Tech stores are good - More expensive trash. I suggest retail places like compusa,circuit city,best buy,etc.

#4 Once you find a good place, check it at least once a week. They aren't always throwing good shit out but you can hit it pretty big if you're patient.

#5 If you find a place that locks their dumpster, don't even bother going back again. Very little chance it will ever be unlocked.

#6 Watch out for cameras, it's better if you know about the place a bit. Cameras can fuck you.

edit:

#7 Don't go at the same time every time you go. Try to go early and then go late, skip a day, come back, whatever. :)

----

Final thought:
It is illegal, if people are really anal, they can send you to jail. It is "technically" their property or the disposal company's property. So just follow those rules and don't leave a mess (i.e. throw shit out of their dumpster and leave it open or whatever) You can make out pretty good.

:)

What should I be looking for? Unopened boxes or not? Which ones do you hit b/c I bet those will also be the good ones to hit here.
How do I check for cameras?

Xapz said:
What should I be looking for? Unopened boxes or not? Which ones do you hit b/c I bet those will also be the good ones to hit here.
How do I check for cameras?

Just look around during the day sometime, see if there are any cameras. As soon as you find a place you'll answer all those questions. It all depends. Try the stores I mentioned.

Aestis said:
What all do companies throw away anyway?

Everything.

I've made several thousand off of trash. In the past month I've made $700 and I've been doing it for a few years.

I've got more things out of there than I can list here. You name it, I've got it from the trash. Seriously.

npr-telco said:
Everything.

I've made several thousand off of trash. In the past month I've made $700 and I've been doing it for a few years.

I've got more things out of there than I can list here. You name it, I've got it from the trash. Seriously.

Hmm... Do you just jump in the dumpster and start looking around?

npr-telco said:
Sometimes. You can't be a puss about it if you're wanna get good shit.

Well I meant, do most companies actually use a dumpster? And it's just behind the store somewhere?

It's not likely that you're going to find anything of any value in the dumpster of any store. You'll find lots of paper and shit like that but there isn't a retail store on earth that just throws shit out in a dumpster. Most products, defective or otherwise, are returned to a warehouse if they're being returned or discarded. The warehouse then takes care of it from there.

Back