chicken fried steak

BadMoFo

Contributor
Veteran XX
so I want to make really good chicken fried steak

from what I have found it looks like I need to make a wash of oh about 4 eggs to 1/4 cup of buttermilk and use flour to bread the steak (that would be enough for maybe 2 steaks)

using SUPER LEAN cuts of meat and trim all fat off

I also need to tenderize the hell of out the steak and season with some salt and pepper

dip in wash
dip in flour

and for the win

dip in wash AGAIN
and dip in flour AGAIN

(omg double dips)

then fry in a pan in clarified butter until golden brown

I think I am going to try this unless someone has a better idea...

?

instead of clarified butter which doesnt taste as good as butter, just mix real butter with vegetable oil if you absolutely want to fry with butter

cast iron skillet
clarified butter? WTF hell no use LARD or vegetable oil

1/2 pounds of top-round steak
2 cups of flour
3 eggs
1/2 cup of milk or buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3 teaspoon of cracked black pepper (can also add cayenne to add more heat).
Lard or vegetable oil

Method:
Cut your top-round steak into four pieces.
Pound beef with a meat tenderizer until flattened and almost doubled in size.
Place flour in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Mix eggs in another large bowl with milk.
Take piece of tenderized beef and coat in flour. Dip coated beef into egg mixture and then dip back into flour again.
Heat on medium enough oil or lard to fill halfway up the sides of a cast-iron skillet. When a drop of water makes the oil sizzle, it's ready for frying.
Take the coated beef and place it in the skillet. When the blood (er, red-meat juice) starts bubbling out of the top of the steak (about three to four minutes) gently turn it over with a long fork (using a spatula can cause the oil to splash out of the skillet). Cook another five minutes and then take the chicken-fried steak out of the pan and drain on a paper-towel-lined plate.
Repeat process for remaining cutlets. And while you're frying the others, you can keep the cooked steaks warm in the oven.

Makes four chicken-fried steaks. Serve with cream gravy made from the pan drippings.

thank me later

Last edited:
I stole this and its awesome

For CFS I usually buy a top or bottom round roast and slice it off into 1/2" slices. I personally don't like cube steak because it always has too much gristle. If you don't want to slice it yourself a butcher will usually be happy to do it for you.

Take the slices and pound them out with the tenderizing side of a meat mallet until thin. Put the slices in a ziploc bag and top with buttermilk. Leave overnight.

For the flour, I use 1.5 tsp salt, 1 tsp Accent (MSG), 1 Tbls finely ground pepper, and 1 tsp paprika per cup of flour. Make 3-4 cups per batch.

Here's where I differ from most recipes. I make a beer batter to dip in before dredging in dry flour rather than the egg wash most people use. Take a cup of seasoned flour and mix with a can of beer. Add a tbls or two of flour if needed to get to pancake batter consistency.

Shake excess buttermilk from steaks and dip in beer batter to coat. Remove from beer batter and dredge in seasoned dry flour. Shake excess flour from steaks and remove to a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.

I fry mine in a deep cast iron skillet in peanut oil. Fill skillet until oil is at about a 1/4-1/2" depth. You only want the oil to come about half way up the steaks during cooking so steam can escape. If you really want it to taste awesome add a couple slices of bacon and slices of onion to the oil while bringing it up to temp. Use a thermometer and begin frying steaks when temp hits 325. Try to maintain frying temp between 325-350 while cooking steaks.

For the gravy pour off all but 1/4 cup oil from the pan. Add in 1/4 cup of the seasoned flour and whisk over medium heat until light blonde in color. Add in 1.5 cups of whole milk and 1/2 cup chicken stock. Whisk until smooth and cook until thickened. Re-season with salt and additional pepper if needed.

I made this (fried in vegetable oil) saturday night.

Don't forget to make the cream gravy...
After the steaks are fried pour off all but about 3 tablespoons of the oil left in the skillet then turn the heat on again. Add some of the leftover flour from breading the steaks and stir with a wooden spoon. (make sure to retain as many of the brown bits as possible when you pour off the oil) Then after the flour has browned slowly stir in equal parts buttermilk and water (start with 3/4 cup of each, add slowly).
Wait until desired gravy thickness then smear all over steak and requisite mashed potatoes.

instead of clarified butter which doesnt taste as good as butter

clarified butter? WTF hell no use LARD or vegetable oil

?

Do you guys even know what clarified butter even is? Its just "real" butter minus the water and milk solids that would burn away if you use it to fry. How could it possibly not be as good. The real reason to not use butter if you want to cook at a higher temperature because butter has a low smoke point.

And banging it with a meat tenderizer mallet doesn't work very well imo. Either buy cubed steak, or get the tenderizers that work like a stapler full of tiny knives.

the milk solids are where a lot of the flavor of the butter comes from

like i said, if you really want to fry meat with butter, you can just mix it with vegetable oil to raise the smoke point

imo clarified butter is more useful for pan-frying seafood where you want a light buttery flavor but don't want it to affect the flavor of the dish as much. i just dont see the point in using it for steak or chicken.

?

Do you guys even know what clarified butter even is? Its just "real" butter minus the water and milk solids that would burn away if you use it to fry. How could it possibly not be as good. The real reason to not use butter if you want to cook at a higher temperature because butter has a low smoke point.

And banging it with a meat tenderizer mallet doesn't work very well imo. Either buy cubed steak, or get the tenderizers that work like a stapler full of tiny knives.

Yes I know what clarified butter is.. jesus son you're not the only one who knows how to cook. I live in Texas, where CFS was invented, I probably have 5+ restaurants within walking distance of my house that make better CFS then you have ever eaten in your life. I'm telling you to use lard but if you do not have access to it, veg oil will suffice.
Now if you are too fucking ignorant to know what the difference would be between using lard and clarified butter, you need to get your ass out of the kitchen and go eat at Chilis or something

ok so I made some of these, but I changed the recipe a little,

I got me some cubes steaks
4trrxw.jpg

made some egg wash (with buttermilk and some seasonings
fxgvpv.jpg

made the flour with cayenne, chili powder, black pepper, crushed red chiles, dried and minced bell pepper
idel5g.jpg

double dipped the steaks in the fixings, flour->egg->flour->egg->flour
x1n6kz.jpg

meanwhile, potatoes are cooking
2ccknsy.jpg

sausages going for the gravy
rva5it.jpg

spreaking of gravies
2n8mwr6.jpg

time to fry
28ipzyg.jpg

all fried up and ready to go
2a9ej60.jpg

its like vitamins on a plate!
33f6wzd.jpg

and WOW this was good, and very easy to make actually.

just got some "Grands" biscuits and a pouch for the gravy

next time though I'm making my own gravy

enjoy!

Mofo my friend...listen to me here.

That looked great and I'm sure it was... just let me key you in on a couple small adjustments to that recipe.

First off... I'm sure you realized that 4 eggs was a bit too much. :p: You used the hell out of it I bet but still you had some left over. But this also depends on how big the eggs were.

Secondly... using just regular old flour does the meat and breading no justice at all. Now I hope you added at least some salt, pepper(red and black), onion/garlic powder, and whatever other spices you like to the flour mix.

Ok this is really all you need though instead of doing it like you did.

The Spicy & Hot Breader or Medium/Hot Breader :drool:

House-Autry

HA1002-2T.gif

Ohh and fucking props on adding the sausage to the gravy yourself. :rocker: However sausage links aren't whats in sausage gravy. It's the self made patty sausage meat.

You should have used this instead... I actually prefer Dean's over Jimmy Dean but the Jimmy Dean sage is very tasty.
stuffing4.jpg

Deanlogo.jpg

oh, and bye the way....

I made your awesome brat boiled in beer recipe tonight and two nights ago.

The 2 people I made it for on each night(four different people altogether) are now obsessed with it and wouldn't stop talking about it. :bigthumb:

Last edited:
Secondly... using just regular old flour does the meat and breading no justice at all. Now I hope you added at least some salt, pepper(red and black), onion/garlic powder, and whatever other spices you like to the flour mix.

oh, and bye the way....

I made your awesome brat boiled in beer recipe tonight and two nights ago.

The 2 people I made it for on each night(four different people altogether) are now obsessed with it and wouldn't stop talking about it. :bigthumb:

teehee, you did see this pic right?

http://i41.tinypic.com/idel5g.jpg

I seasoned that flourz GUUD.

also, yeah the gravy was a weak link in the meal man, I need to learn to make my own gravy instead of adding water to a pouch lolerz

glad to hear the brats are popular, make them some bacon wrapped chicken balls and they will worship you like a god I tell you ;)

Back