tribe story in asperger land

Kismet

Veteran
there was a time when nonreg stopped paying for sanct so i ended up hosting a server for a year to replace it

i think this was in 07 maybe 06 it was shortly after twl went down

mebe some of u remember the server i let the name be changed every 2 weeks or so by a random person in tribe irc so it had like 20 names or so

anyway there were lots of pu games on this server so there was also lots of drama because the community was pretty big back then

one of the things about this server i make tho was that everyone had access to public admin to change maps or tourney but only 2 people could kick or ban
not even i could kick or ban ppl and the only people that could were snow and chump they could even ban me from my own server

anyway as time went on and pus are had and ppl having fun etc sometimes we would all show up to a pu and there wouldnt be 10 players up to chump's standards of what would make a good pu and he would yell at everyone for wasting his time and call us names. he would even call lix names everyone got called names

this eventually boiled over to where when ppl showed up to pu and chump didnt like the crowd or thought ppl were too bad to play with him he would just ban everyone on the server

this guy would mass ban like 15-16 ppl

the only ppl he would not ban were typically lix and ma and snow cuz snow couldnt be banned

then he would drop after

wed try to pu a bunch of times a week back then so it happened a lot

this went on for the whole life of that server till sanct was rehosted and that my apserg story for the day

chump banned so many people during that time

i remember after hed mass ban everyone would go on irc and ppl would rage about it killing tribes e tc but same ppl would show up for the next pu anyway

he banned so much when ppl would organize a pu and be in the server thered always be questions of it chump was gonna show up and suddenly ban everyone

i think this was the best way to have admin on a server because it taught the community obediance through fear

that was before this period of time but ya he did have a whole era after dutch where he was unbeatable pretty much

this was when snow and chump were pretty even

i also ended up getting picked 1st round a lot cuz i could take them out of the game with lo cging

i did not want to post this information incase opsayo try to kill me again

the thing with tribe is there are so many eras and ppl come and go for years at a time

like ive taken a few years off many times before like when u guys had that draft with the vezuvella teams etc i was gone that whole year and many other time

so its hard to place certain things on certain dates correctly

i cant remember how many times hackington and sanctuary came and went

sanc came and went with non for the most part

he would come back and get tired of not having admin power and start sanc again.
then ppl would complain about admin abuse or whatever and hackington would become popular again.

i have a hard time keeping track of all of the tourneys we had. my first(i think) was like 07 when non made me capt and i picked dawar #1 overall(big mistake not cuz he aint good but u dont pick a home d first w/e i was tribe dumb back then) then I can remember picking copa and rufus for another 1 but that tourney failed hard for w/e reason. then the 2010 one which actually finished but had many teams fall apart. like swordfish's team with lost and anemix, it was bound to fall apart but i probably didnt help them out much by banning lost in their first match because he was acting like a retard. I think there was one in 2011 or 12 but I wasnt playing then. then summer 2013 we had the one day tourney that took forever for teams to field 5 and we didn't even have a winners match. this community is so unorganized it hurts to think about.

t1 has had no luck. nobody has given it a proper successor and you have to wonder where the game would be if certain people banded together to keep the game going rather than fighting over differences of opinion. I'm definitely not pointing fingers at anyone and appreciate everything that has been done to this game. but what if andrew/nofix/bugs/etc all acted together and became the support for this game such as official releases and cheat protection and served as sort of the "authority" of the game. game would have died anyway and maybe we wouldnt even be playing it today but I would have liked to have seen something different rather than andrew trying to keep the game clean while nofix releases some really good things but also gives out bypasses and bugs_ is lost in the depths of tribes code probably looking very similar to bubbles.

its also really stupid imo how the community was mislead as to what interpolate was and how today ppl still think it has magical powers.

ya 1 of my dreams would be to have an andrew nofix created tribes game

simply becuz theyre some of the only people that understand why the darkstar engine was great in the first place and could really do it

iba posr was just another mav type character but 100x as zealous that guy single handedly wiped out 3/4 of the active community in a day with the interpolate drama and lasthope i know this is an unpopular opinion but cheaters still would have got caught even without it just like they were before lh came out

i think there are lots of ways an indepedant group of devs could capitalize on tribes and not make it exactly like t1 t2 classic being considered "good enough" is a good example of this

t1 had 6 million players far more than t2 ever did and most of them were mod players

picking a popular mod and remaking it in another engine as a tribes like game that isnt tribes seems like free money to me i just wish i had the ability to do it

a kickstarter that explained this stuff could be done really easily and at least a few 100k made from it but the community is so fractured and no one realy respects anyone so organizing it and then putting funds towards it would probably be a disaster

and it makes me laugh that there is some other group of asperger kids basically remaking t2 classic which is like t1 base dumbed down with less freedom of movement and planning on releasing it

knowing the spergs that are putting time into it itll probably have a legions style cg with a cooldown or some other fun killing game mechanism and no decent shield combat

not 1 of the people working on fpsz was decent in t1 not 1

Thanks for sharing the story. Very interesting. I thought Veilside released interpolate? That's at least how Team Dot got it in 2003, he gave it to Passport.

I would donate $1k to a Tribes kickstarter that had the backing of Andrew. It breaks my heart because no game is remotely as amazing as Tribes. It's fractured. Divided. Leaderless. Like Gondor (hi Stork).

I would do terrible, horrible things to experience those memories again.

e4Snh2J.png

amG795r.png

ZhIJ9m4.png

IEtjJLB.png

vz63UUy.jpg

sWFyYD2.jpg

rzGmSbf.png

Back