samUwell

....sammy is a good dood, he's just a bit... immature?? (is that the word?)
i believe the word you are looking for is frustrated.
in that he gets upset about this stuff a bit too often, instead of rationally channeling his frustration into something proactive like... actual activism
yes, i do get upset when i see an entire forum filled with very intelligent people who dont want to accept whats going on right outside their doors.

and actual activism would land me in jail for many, many years. because of this, i prefer to attempt to inform my fellow humans to the world around them.

samuwell has is your sobriety going?
about as good as this beer is that is on my desk...

seriously though... i fell off the wagon a few months ago as i am sure you or many of you can tell by my posting style/habits. i will wake up and realize wtf is happening and stay sober for a few weeks and then... boom!

for no other reason than me being a selfish human, i will go through a bender and drink for a few days straight and then, wake up, go sober and rinse/repeat.

got drunk last night and started a little bit ago.

so selfish of me.

one day you'll just straight up move on from that

a lot of ppl say 'omg well done' to me about going from 30-40 units a day every day to zero cold turkey, i don't figure it was that big a deal b/c it took zero effort due to realising one day that I'd evolved/got to a point in life where i just didnt feel like drinking ever again

one day you'll just straight up move on from that

a lot of ppl say 'omg well done' to me about going from 30-40 units a day every day to zero cold turkey, i don't figure it was that big a deal b/c it took zero effort due to realising one day that I'd evolved/got to a point in life where i just didnt feel like drinking ever again
not sure if its an ego problem or a problem with the ID?

read a lot about both and became very confused when i focused in on the part they play of whats called an addictive personality disorder. from there, i began to read a lot on computational neuroscience which helped a lot more than anything i read to that point but, i suffer from what can only be called, the Red Button Syndrome.

back in the day, some Dr's decided to test this out on varying ages of humans, starting with children at 5 years old, and what they did was put these people in a room with a table and on said table, there was a red button. all the people were warned that if they pushed the red button, doom would follow.

i dont remember the %'s anymore but it was a good amount of humans in all age groups that could not help but to push the red button of doom.

turns out, i am one of them.

:lol:

not sure if its an ego problem or a problem with the ID?

read a lot about both and became very confused when i focused in on the part they play of whats called an addictive personality disorder. from there, i began to read a lot on computational neuroscience which helped a lot more than anything i read to that point but, i suffer from what can only be called, the Red Button Syndrome.

back in the day, some Dr's decided to test this out on varying ages of humans, starting with children at 5 years old, and what they did was put these people in a room with a table and on said table, there was a red button. all the people were warned that if they pushed the red button, doom would follow.

i dont remember the %'s anymore but it was a good amount of humans in all age groups that could not help but to push the red button of doom.

turns out, i am one of them.

yeah, the french have a term for it, 'the call of the void' (l’appel du vide), referring to the real urge a lot of people have when standing on a cliff or ledge over a massive drop to just jump, mostly to see what would happen (it's what a lot of people mistakenly call vertigo, because people are dumb) and because of a weird self-negation impulse that we have that's supposed to allow us to go all-out in a fight/flight situation but can get triggered in moments of cognitive peril (i.e. when we are cognitively aware of a potential danger, but not necessarily in any danger unless we place ourselves in it)

this is true of most self-negating/self-harming activities/behaviour that we get up to, especially drinking and stuff like drug-use or self-harm (which drinking is, if you think about the fact that it's essentially poison), in that we're engaging in thought-terminating practices that take our minds off what's actually important

lack of impulse control also plays a massive part in this, in that our subconscious is inherently curious in its attempts to parse information, and the disorder part is the fact that it manages to override the id's usual mechanisms for stopping us from doing stupid shit

Last edited:
also:

the call of the void is the thought to jump off the ledge you are standing on; wondering what would happen if you drove your car into another car or person; it is the thought of "I could kill someone so easily right now" when holding a knife, hammer, or what have you. it is the insane desire of our unconscious, but it is nothing to worry about unless you relish and enjoy these thoughts.
last week i visited the grand canyon with my girlfriend. as we stood on a ledge and looked out over the world, the call of the void entered my head:

"one little nudge and she's dead"

back up...

are you saying that the term vertigo is really, vert i goooooO!!! ahhhhh, splat!

no, vertigo is the actual sickness you get from being at height

but a lot of people say vertigo when they really mean call of the void

servitude.jpg

“the will of the people, moreover, practically means the will of the most numerous or the most active part of the people; the majority, or those who succeed in making themselves accepted as the majority: the people, consequently, may desire to oppress a part of their number." J.S Mill

Back