35 ukuleles: Setup job

I got my son an older Les Paul for Christmas. My neighbor did the fret board with lemon oil and it made it look much darker.

351xpxu.jpg

I got my son an older Les Paul for Christmas. My neighbor did the fret board with lemon oil and it made it look much darker.

351xpxu.jpg

That's a great gift for a kid, a real guitar. Yes, lemon oil will darken the fretboard somewhat. It'll lighten up after a few weeks.

Make sure the ends of the frets aren't sharp. The newer stuff I'm seeing come from China is terrible. If it's an Epiphone, it's probably Chinese; if it's Gibson it's of course USA made and only somewhat likely to need fret work to be playable. :)

That's a great gift for a kid, a real guitar. Yes, lemon oil will darken the fretboard somewhat. It'll lighten up after a few weeks.

Make sure the ends of the frets aren't sharp. The newer stuff I'm seeing come from China is terrible. If it's an Epiphone, it's probably Chinese; if it's Gibson it's of course USA made and only somewhat likely to need fret work to be playable. :)

It's a Gibson Les Paul Studio made 12/98. He loves it :)

that's pretty awesome. How long did it take to do all 35 and how much did you charge in the end?

By the end, I was doing one every 20 minutes, so it took....about 15 hours worth of work, total. The quote was for tree fiddy. Really :) I had to replace one nut that I filed too low at a cost of $6.50, and used maybe $2 in shop materials (sandpaper, oil etc.), so it basically works out to around $22/hour. That's a lot less than what I make at my day job, but it was something I did in my spare time for fun, more or less.

Back