Any chance we'll ever see another Tribes game?

T:V's problem was that it went backwards, against the Massive trend of games these days, and failed horribly. It's hard to paddle upstream.

Tribes 2 was a disaster on Voodoo series cards, but ran fine on the GeForce. IT sold half a million copies before it hit the bargain bin. I wouldn't call that a failure.

Red Shifter said:
whatever happens, they sure as hell shouldn't consult TW on how to do it
If they actually listened to TW, or paid attention to comments made in the beta, or shipped a finished product, T:V would have been pretty good. They failed to do any of those things. Nobody on TW told them to make an unbalanced game with poor netcode and strip out most of the features. I can't believe some of you idiots keep blaming TW for this.

Their design was final before they even started development. They didn't know where they were going, or what they were doing. Having never played Tribes, or Tribes 2, it's no surprise where T:V ended up.

TW didn't help the situation though, by allowing the developers to actually ban anyone that spoke out against their design. I was quite vocal about the direction I saw the game going, needless to say I was banned promptly.

For those of you that followed the dev process or tried to give input, didnt KP have any say as to the direction of the game? Who thought most folks dont care about large maps? or things like the command map? I just assume the folks who would think that are some of the hardcore competition players. TW use to be the stomping ground for a lot of those folks. Not that I have anything against the classic style of Tribes gameplay or respect for some of the great players in competition, but something tells me that a small group of competition players had a big influence on the "dilution" apparent in TV. Of course they wouldnt want the crappy netcode etc, but some of the game design changes make that apparent.

Nerfing speed was T2's bad, but putting speed back and removing everything else doesnt make for success either. There is a large fanbase of players that just like to play, and many of those players like the larger warfare style of gameplay with the packs, skiing and all. You cant just ingore that whole segment of your audience.

Last edited:
uvalan sold out in less than 24 hrs, filled with people whom wanted a chance to meet the developers and give some input. Pretty crappy that the tourney's were scheduled for the same time the developer breakdown sessions were. It was also shitty that they limited the amount of people that could be in those group sessions via "here is the marker, the first x amount of people to get to this list first will be able to participate. So what exactly happened in those community/developer breakdown sessions?

TV: A victim of outsourcing.

Have to believe in another tribes to come. Nothing out there like it. everything else sucks.

GDC 2006

*lurk lurk lurk*

Hmm...might be a good idea to keep your eyes open around the GarageGames booth at GDC 2006. Never know what kinda things might be shown off...

Disclaimer: Mark don't murder me.
:shrug:

Sup Tim! Stop by RenWerX sometime we have plenty of uses for someone of your talents.

Last edited:
Not much, just the usual lurking, and felt really compelled to give in and drop a vague hint on what GG may or may not be working on now that MB Ultra has shipped. Who knows...Maybe GDC will be good (or bad).

Luckily MarkF is in France for a week so I am able to run amuck. I'm a big jerk like that. :)

Tell Everyone at GG congrats on the success with Marble Blast Ultra. You guys are getting praises all over for the little wonder of a game.

ajaxprojection said:
Not much, just the usual lurking, and felt really compelled to give in and drop a vague hint on what GG may or may not be working on now that MB Ultra has shipped. Who knows...Maybe GDC will be good (or bad).

Luckily MarkF is in France for a week so I am able to run amuck. I'm a big jerk like that. :)

MBU2 with downloadable content? :)

CarpeIppon said:
He was right when he said it. T2 was an abomination when it was released. Worse than T:V.

True but at least it survived long enough to become a legitimate successor to T1.

ajaxprojection said:
*lurk lurk lurk*

Hmm...might be a good idea to keep your eyes open around the GarageGames booth at GDC 2006. Never know what kinda things might be shown off...

Disclaimer: Mark don't murder me.
:shrug:

ZOMG TORRENT PLZ

edit: MBU is great fun (especially the multiplayer).

Last edited:
Back