Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [NFL]Week 11
Page 21 of 21
MadHatSam
VeteranX
Old
401 - 11-19-2013, 14:43
Isn't anything after the ball was thrown called as PI? Holding seems to only be called when prior to the pass or away from the intended receiver. When a defender is manhandling a targeted receiver isn't it factually the greater charge of PI if the action occurs after the ball is thrown. Trying to argue it was the wrong penalty seems inconsistent with how the rules have been traditionally enforced.

Sponsored Links
Eggi
VeteranXX
Old
402 - 11-19-2013, 14:45
It can't be PI if its determined the ball was uncatchable. But it can still be defensive holding, which in this case it should have been. But who cares, that doesnt help the Texans not be 2-8

Last edited by Eggi; 11-19-2013 at 15:15..
nigafool
VeteranXX
Old
403 - 11-19-2013, 14:51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatSam View Post
seems inconsistent with how the rules have been traditionally enforced.
u make it sound like the rules have been enforced consistently like, ever

defensive holding and DPI are called differently by every ref, in every game. they're the most variable calls in the game. sometimes refs will call things really tight in the first half, then let them play in the 2nd half. it's frustrating to watch, and probably frustrating to play with, but that's the way the game is now.

anyways pats fought hard and almost stole the game, but the panthers played better and deserved the win. gronk wasnt catching that ball, interference or not (99/100 refs wont even throw the flag on the last play of the game into the endzone). pats got away with the leg whip that injured johnson, also. u get some calls, u dont get some calls...

MadHatSam
VeteranX
Old
404 - 11-19-2013, 16:46
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigafool View Post
u make it sound like the rules have been enforced consistently like, ever

defensive holding and DPI are called differently by every ref, in every game. they're the most variable calls in the game. sometimes refs will call things really tight in the first half, then let them play in the 2nd half. it's frustrating to watch, and probably frustrating to play with, but that's the way the game is now.

anyways pats fought hard and almost stole the game, but the panthers played better and deserved the win. gronk wasnt catching that ball, interference or not (99/100 refs wont even throw the flag on the last play of the game into the endzone). pats got away with the leg whip that injured johnson, also. u get some calls, u dont get some calls...
Of course there is a fair amount of variance in how officials call the game.

Maybe it is a case that happens more often then I know, I just don't remember a flag for obvious PI ever turning into holding when the ball was called uncatchable. The timing of this particular play obviously makes it more likely to be scrutinized over some random play in the 2nd quarter.

SirBatesAlot
VeteranX
Old
405 - 11-19-2013, 16:52
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBuddha View Post
Did I just hear on ESPN that the league is reviewing hits on the QB to further protect them next year? Holy ****, smfh
No, just Tom Brady.

CapnPyro
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
406 - 11-19-2013, 17:34
Ha heard a guy on NFL radio earlier say 'Look, any team that advanced to the Super Bowl thanks to the Brady tuck rule doesn't ever get to complain about a bad call'. Truth

dubsack
VeteranXV
Old
407 - 11-20-2013, 12:57

Last edited by dubsack; 11-20-2013 at 13:10.. Reason: Discount double post.
dubsack
VeteranXV
Old
408 - 11-20-2013, 13:00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggi View Post
thats only applicable for illegal contact or whatever
The Panthers, Not the Refs, Beat New England - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
Actually, after looking into it (because I could swear I've heard this rule before) defensive holding can't be called by definition after the ball is thrown.

In the parentheses the example of a QB throwing a forward pass is given, and by rule defensive holding goes out the window at that point. It is either PI or nothing.

The guy from Grantland is wrong, at least in how I am reading it.

2011 rule book, but I don't think the rules have changed on this.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content..._Rule_Book.pdf

MadHatSam
VeteranX
Old
409 - 11-20-2013, 13:00
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsack View Post
Actually, after looking into it (because I could swear I've heard this rule before) defensive holding can't be called by definition after the ball is thrown.

In the parentheses the example of a QB throwing a forward pass is given, and by rule defensive holding goes out the window at that point. It is either PI or nothing.

See that's what I thought, once the ball is in the air anything a defender illegally does to a receiver is now PI.

SuicideSnowman
VeteranXV
Old
410 - 11-20-2013, 13:02
Why are we still debating a questionable call against a team that's gotten more help than any team in the league from questionable calls?

MadHatSam
VeteranX
Old
411 - 11-20-2013, 13:04
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSnowman View Post
Why are we still debating a questionable call against a team that's gotten more help than any team in the league from questionable calls?
I rather see them lose without the calls being questionable and this seems to be a case where the call was confusing but not questionable. **** balancing their karma, I hope they suffer forever.

Bump
Unregistered
Old
412 - 11-20-2013, 13:06
fuk the pats

ice up cheaters

dubsack
VeteranXV
Old
413 - 11-20-2013, 13:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSnowman View Post
For the record, I was just clarifying a point that had been making the rounds. Lots of people said D holding could have been called, and I had heard differently. After reading the Grantland article, I decided to look it up myself. It appears as if there is misinformation floating around. I am a NFL junkie, and like to understand the rulebook as much as possible, because so much of it is esoteric. Just trying to further my understanding.

Eggi
VeteranXX
Old
414 - 11-20-2013, 14:03
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsack View Post

2011 rule book, but I don't think the rules have changed on this.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content..._Rule_Book.pdf
ah, well then that argument goes out the window. so it should have been PI or nothing unless the hold started before the ball was thrown.

dubsack
VeteranXV
Old
415 - 11-20-2013, 14:24
Agreed. I don't care enough to track down a replay of the all 22, but this play definitely shines a light on how misunderstood when and/or what contact constitutes a penalty. Throw into that the subjective nature of the calls, and good luck figuring it all out week to week.

Page 21 of 21

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [NFL]Week 11

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
icpedo