Page 1 of 2
Rustie
VeteranXV
Old
1 - 08-06-2022, 18:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DSSDUI0Cis

Mike Judge on the return of Beavis and Butt-Head in new series
Quote:
Was it tough to get back into the skin of these two characters?

I never do these voices when I***8217;m not doing the show; every now and then, maybe two times a year, I***8217;ll find myself in the car and something will cross my mind and I***8217;ll just kind of do [the voices] in a low volume to myself. But it***8217;s not something I do in my spare time, ever. Part of what got me thinking about doing it again ***8230; was [that] I introduced the band Portugal. The Man at Coachella; I hadn***8217;t done the voices in forever and I thought, maybe my voice sounds different, maybe it doesn***8217;t sound right. But I gave it a try and listened to it back and thought, ***8216;Oh, that still sounds like Beavis and Butt-Head to me***8217; ***8230; and I thought, if there***8217;s an offer out there maybe I should do this while I still can. I really like doing it and there were enough fresh ideas around. It***8217;s still one of the favorite things I***8217;ve ever done.

Was it a conscious decision to add TikTok and YouTube videos?

Yeah. We wanted to update it to make it feel like there***8217;s a reason to do it, without trying too hard. I feel like if it***8217;s fun for me do to and it***8217;s making people laugh, it***8217;s good. It***8217;s super of its time. Beavis and Butt-Head were never particularly hip characters, anyway. When the show first came on, when they aired my short [vignettes] in 1992, Pauly Shore was all the rage. He had every hip catchphrase of that generation and I knew I couldn***8217;t compete with that. So I consciously decided to make them very uncool. Their T-shirts were of bands that had already been around for a while. They didn***8217;t start out particularly stuck in that time period. When I was a teenager, 16 or 17, Rodney Dangerfield was popular; he was just a fun old guy and he wasn***8217;t trying to be young. The key is not trying too hard to be relevant ***8212; you either are or you***8217;re not, and if you***8217;re not, then it is what it is.

When the show first came out there was some talk that [their T-shirts] shouldn***8217;t be AC/DC or Metallica but should be Nirvana or Pearl Jam. I remember going to a mall around the time school was letting out ***8212; I was living outside of Dallas at the time ***8212; to go see what teens were wearing. I saw this awkward kid with braces and an AC/DC shirt and said, ***8220;OK, that***8217;s good enough for me.***8221;

The new opening theme sounds different.

The original theme was me and a drum machine and I played everything else. Now it***8217;s Gary Clark Jr.; I***8217;ve known him from around Austin for a long time before he became huge like he is now. I***8217;m actually playing the opening riff but the rest is all Gary Clark in his home [recording] studio. I love it ***8212; the more I listen to it, the more I like his version. It***8217;s incredible.

Did you worry about Beavis & Butt-Head not being P.C. in their return?

I just think, ***8220;Why bother?***8221; I think it was [***8220;South Park***8221; creators] Trey Parker or Matt Stone who said something I thought of as a great compliment. They said, ***8220;Beavis and Butt-Head***8221; is like the blues: it***8217;s the same thing over and over again but it***8217;s good.***8221; I think that***8217;s about right. You***8217;re not laughing at what they***8217;re laughing at, you***8217;re laughing at what they think actually constitutes a joke. There***8217;s also the timing of it, trying to throw something in when you don***8217;t quite expect it or when you absolutely expect it. It kinda feels like it***8217;s one or the other, sometimes. I didn***8217;t want to make them smarter; there are TV shows to me, like ***8220;The Beverly Hillbillies or ***8220;The Three Stooges,***8221; that I***8217;ll just laugh at all the time even though it***8217;s the same sort of joke over an over. There***8217;s something comforting about seeing [Beavis and Butt-Head] not grow much at all, ever. With ***8220;King of the Hill,***8221; I was trying to do the other category like ***8220;The Mary Tyler Moore Show***8221; or ***8220;Leave It to Beaver,***8221; the kind of show where the character does learn a little something. There***8217;s one episode [in the new series] where Butt-Head is prescribed medication ***8212; we don***8217;t say what kind ***8212; by the school psychiatrist ***8230; for his aggression at school, and he becomes really nice for a while. And that was really fun to do and it just drives Beavis crazy and their dynamic is completely thrown off. By the end of the episode Butt-Head is right back to his usual self.

Last edited by Rustie; 08-07-2022 at 20:43..
Sponsored Links
KittyCat
VeteranXX
Old
2 - 08-06-2022, 18:52
wait didn't it already return in like 2012? this is the 2nd "return"

either way i love them so ill be watching

-SS-
VeteranXV
Old
3 - 08-06-2022, 23:48
good stuff

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
4 - 08-06-2022, 23:52

lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
5 - 08-07-2022, 00:03
today in man-child thoughts

Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
6 - 08-07-2022, 03:13
Awesome. Loved it and will undoubtedly re-love it.

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
7 - 08-07-2022, 07:06
Quote:
Was it tough to get back into the skin of these two characters?

I never do these voices when I***8217;m not doing the show; every now and then, maybe two times a year, I***8217;ll find myself in the car and something will cross my mind and I***8217;ll just kind of do [the voices] in a low volume to myself. But it***8217;s not something I do in my spare time, ever. Part of what got me thinking about doing it again ***8230; was [that] I introduced the band Portugal. The Man at Coachella; I hadn***8217;t done the voices in forever and I thought, maybe my voice sounds different, maybe it doesn***8217;t sound right. But I gave it a try and listened to it back and thought, ***8216;Oh, that still sounds like Beavis and Butt-Head to me***8217; ***8230; and I thought, if there***8217;s an offer out there maybe I should do this while I still can. I really like doing it and there were enough fresh ideas around. It***8217;s still one of the favorite things I***8217;ve ever done.

Was it a conscious decision to add TikTok and YouTube videos?

Yeah. We wanted to update it to make it feel like there***8217;s a reason to do it, without trying too hard. I feel like if it***8217;s fun for me do to and it***8217;s making people laugh, it***8217;s good. It***8217;s super of its time. Beavis and Butt-Head were never particularly hip characters, anyway. When the show first came on, when they aired my short [vignettes] in 1992, Pauly Shore was all the rage. He had every hip catchphrase of that generation and I knew I couldn***8217;t compete with that. So I consciously decided to make them very uncool. Their T-shirts were of bands that had already been around for a while. They didn***8217;t start out particularly stuck in that time period. When I was a teenager, 16 or 17, Rodney Dangerfield was popular; he was just a fun old guy and he wasn***8217;t trying to be young. The key is not trying too hard to be relevant ***8212; you either are or you***8217;re not, and if you***8217;re not, then it is what it is.

When the show first came out there was some talk that [their T-shirts] shouldn***8217;t be AC/DC or Metallica but should be Nirvana or Pearl Jam. I remember going to a mall around the time school was letting out ***8212; I was living outside of Dallas at the time ***8212; to go see what teens were wearing. I saw this awkward kid with braces and an AC/DC shirt and said, ***8220;OK, that***8217;s good enough for me.***8221;

The new opening theme sounds different.

The original theme was me and a drum machine and I played everything else. Now it***8217;s Gary Clark Jr.; I***8217;ve known him from around Austin for a long time before he became huge like he is now. I***8217;m actually playing the opening riff but the rest is all Gary Clark in his home [recording] studio. I love it ***8212; the more I listen to it, the more I like his version. It***8217;s incredible.

Did you worry about Beavis & Butt-Head not being P.C. in their return?

I just think, ***8220;Why bother?***8221; I think it was [***8220;South Park***8221; creators] Trey Parker or Matt Stone who said something I thought of as a great compliment. They said, ***8220;Beavis and Butt-Head***8221; is like the blues: it***8217;s the same thing over and over again but it***8217;s good.***8221; I think that***8217;s about right. You***8217;re not laughing at what they***8217;re laughing at, you***8217;re laughing at what they think actually constitutes a joke. There***8217;s also the timing of it, trying to throw something in when you don***8217;t quite expect it or when you absolutely expect it. It kinda feels like it***8217;s one or the other, sometimes. I didn***8217;t want to make them smarter; there are TV shows to me, like ***8220;The Beverly Hillbillies or ***8220;The Three Stooges,***8221; that I***8217;ll just laugh at all the time even though it***8217;s the same sort of joke over an over. There***8217;s something comforting about seeing [Beavis and Butt-Head] not grow much at all, ever. With ***8220;King of the Hill,***8221; I was trying to do the other category like ***8220;The Mary Tyler Moore Show***8221; or ***8220;Leave It to Beaver,***8221; the kind of show where the character does learn a little something. There***8217;s one episode [in the new series] where Butt-Head is prescribed medication ***8212; we don***8217;t say what kind ***8212; by the school psychiatrist ***8230; for his aggression at school, and he becomes really nice for a while. And that was really fun to do and it just drives Beavis crazy and their dynamic is completely thrown off. By the end of the episode Butt-Head is right back to his usual self.
uh huh huh
He said cock fart gay butt Beaver

Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
8 - 08-07-2022, 09:25
Uh, shut up, Dillweed.

SeVeReD
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
9 - 08-07-2022, 09:58
I love me some Butt, Head, & Bevis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eauFXJOOSqM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r-lAkymUvc

Rustie
VeteranXV
Old
10 - 08-07-2022, 11:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyCat View Post
wait didn't it already return in like 2012? this is the 2nd "return"

either way i love them so ill be watching
I was actually unaware of the 2011 return, so I have two new seasons to watch. Hopefully this reboot will last longer than one season. I enjoyed the first two episodes, can't wait for the fishing hook in Beavis' mouth episode that part of the trailer had me rolling

I hope they reboot KING OF THE HILL, Hank Hill is my role model! Although I will never reach the perfection of Hank... I am more of a Dale Gribble...

Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
11 - 08-07-2022, 11:30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeVeReD View Post
I love me some Butt, Head, & Bevis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eauFXJOOSqM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r-lAkymUvc
Uh, not gonna click, dumbass.

uno
VeteranXX
Old
12 - 08-07-2022, 12:08
their old couch fishing skit was ****ing hilarious

Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
13 - 08-07-2022, 15:38
King of the Hill was a stealth conservative show.

Bobby gets an idea to do something. Hank think it's not right and gives Bobby "old man advice" that's presented in a humorous fashion that's easy to make fun of. By the end of the episode Hank is proven right.

You can also tell that even though the show poked fun at white blue collar Texan culture, it was kind of a affectionate roast rather than denigration.

If King of the Hill was made today as opposed to when it was, I think the show would be more popular because America has a thirst for something like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcMuWdsLRuA

Last edited by Reggs; 08-07-2022 at 15:53..
Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
14 - 08-07-2022, 18:13
america has a thirst for pepsi, the choice of a new generation

Rustie
VeteranXV
Old
15 - 08-07-2022, 19:12
King of the Hill is my go to cartoon. Sure they poked fun at hank but he always taught a valuable lesson while demanding respect! It was wholesome for its time, but now I think it would be instantly attacked by the left.

Cotton is extremely racist against the Japanese (although he is dead and wouldn’t be in any reboot), hank blows a gasket when he finds out Peggy’s friend is a transgender, Bobby does a comedy show where he ask the crowd “who here is lucky enough to be part of the great Aryan Race, ya folks I’m so white that during the riots I went out and bought a TV.” and then Chris Rock defends his right to say those things. The left would have a field day and that’s just a couple of the most Non-PC situations they presented.

Need to wait till 2024 for the king of the hill reboot

Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
16 - 08-07-2022, 20:44
Honestly if King of the Hill came out today as opposed to when it did, it would be a lot more popular, even though the media would *****. The Rosanne reboot did so well because it was just trying to portray an average American family, their relatable problems, and no woke ****.

King of the Hill released today would be a lot more unique and fresh compared to modern day TV shows. It would have reached higher cultural heights.

Hank is also a very different character from anything we see today. Think of all the teen boys being raised by single mothers today who have never seen a character like Hank before. His character was made to poke fun at a mainstream stereotype, but today men like Hank are no where to be found among younger men's families or peer groups.

Rustie
VeteranXV
Old
17 - 08-07-2022, 21:09

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
18 - 08-08-2022, 00:39
No ****ing way I am even going to do a free trial for Paramount+.
Purchase straight up?
Sure.
Subscribe to some ****?
Never.

Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
19 - 08-08-2022, 04:15
I don't get that King of the Hill ****. Not funny at all. Beavis and Butthead is properly funny, buttmunch.

havax
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
20 - 08-08-2022, 04:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchdubai View Post
I don't get that King of the Hill ****. Not funny at all.
doesn't surprise me at all

Page 1 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page The return of Mike Judge’s Beavis and Butt-Head

Social Website Bullshit